Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced the Ignition Misfire Sensor on the Kia. Problem solved.

Replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor on the daughter's Neon. Still won't start. I'll do a compression test tomorrow to see if it slipped the timing belt. If the belt is OK, I'll check the crank position sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Compression test was good. When I inspected the wiring harness, all 3 wires to the crank position sensor were devoid of insulation. Currently trying to find a wiring harness for less than $200...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Got a sunburn on my legs and head while I was trying to bring the daughter's 95 Neon back to life. I think the coil has given up the ghost.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Fabbed a new license plate light for the daughter's Neon. The old light was gone, so I got a $6 Dorman light and cut some sheet aluminum to fit the opening.

Oil change on the $50 T-Bird, followed by a quick cleaning of the engine bay. On the way home from the car wash, I spotted a DeVillbiss 2400 pressure washer on the curb with a sign that read, "Trash, Take me."

One carb rebuild kit later, I have a pressure washer. W00t!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Swaybar links on MY WIFE'S Honda Accord. Only smashed my knuckles twice. It's much quieter now. With the old links, it sounded like we had Ginger Baker in the trunk every time the car hit a bump.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

tonedef131 posted:

The whole swaybar broke in my wifes Grand Prix and I had her take my car to work today so I could fix it. Ended up getting new tie rod ends since I noticed they were wasted while I had it apart. Well they wouldn't separate from the inner tie rod end and since the rack has been leaking forever anyway I figured I'd just do the whole thing. Well 8 hours later I still don't have the last two lines off the rack and I'm calling it a night. I'm afraid they are going to round so I'm gonna go get a 18mm line wrench so I don't chance it. I officially hate working on FWD cars, at least this is the only one I own.

I couldn't get the drat thing off the driver's side, even after getting the nuts loose. Then I thought for a second and jacked up BOTH sides of the front end, releasing the tension on the sway bar.

*clunk*

:downsbravo:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced the oil filter adapter gasket on the $50 T-bird. 4 drat hours total. One hose clamp absolutely refused to pop free.

I HATE spring hose clamps. HATE HATE HATE.

Good news: no more oil leak.
Bad news: I threw out my almost 40-year-old back. Now I'm self-medicating with some fine single malt scotch.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced the factory radio in my wife's Accord with a JVC KDR-520.

I also managed to break the drat hazard switch.

Dammit.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced the factory cat in MY WIFE'S 2000 Accord. Local shop wanted $938 to install a Honda OEM, I got a MagnaFlow and 2 gaskets for $188 shipped from Rockauto.

I love living in the South. All six bolts came off fairly easily after I hit them with Kroil.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
KYB GR2s and stabilizer bar links on the back of the $50 T-Bird.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Crossposted from horrible mechanical failures:

I probably should have replaced these sooner...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PhoenixWing posted:

Brought the Pulsar down to a Cars & Coffee meet.

Had a couple people recognise what it was, and managed to get a small crowd around it as I pulled in. Took 3 years to get it looking good enough to show, so, happy to see people appreciate it :3:

I lusted after those so bad in high school. I wish they would bring that concept back.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Installed KYB GR-2 shocks and struts on all 4 corners of the 99 4Runner. It rides like new now.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
New plug wires on the 99 4Runner. It had started stalling in traffic. Two of the three wires had nasty corrosion on them. New NGK wires were $27 from RockAuto and it's running like a top.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
New rear control arm and track arm bushings in the 4runner. Replaced the ancient OEM rubber with Energy Suspension poly bushings.

Red, of course.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I laid in the rain and fire ants trying to get the STUPID U-JOINT OUT OF THE STUPID DRIVESHAFT of the 4Runner. Pulled the driveshaft, one of the cups is buggered, tried the 6-ton HF press. No luck.

I'm dropping it off at the local shop tomorrow.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced drier, condenser, expansion valve, and compressor on the 4runner. A/C is ice cold again.

Everything, including a vacuum pump, for about $300. I love my old truck.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced the alternator on a friend's Jeep Compass. Had to go in through the wheel well and unhook the compressor to get to it. Jeep/Chrysler can go piss up a rope.

Had a happy moment at the pick-n-pull. They had a Chrysler 200 with the same 2.4 that had a brand spanking new alternator, so we got it for $41 after the core charge.

Then had an unhappy moment at the end of the day when I slipped while carrying my jack stands to load my truck. Nothing broken, but everything hurts.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Gave it away.

One of my friends is just a magnet for bad luck and found himself without a running vehicle. I just acquired a second 3rd Gen 4Runner (2002), so I gave him my '99. It's a beater, but it runs solid and has ice cold AC and a new stereo.

Godspeed, lil' runner.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Motronic posted:

Is J.C. Whitney still as thing? They used to have the most epic sized section of their catalog dedicated to stick on chrome for every generation of vette VW Beetle.

We used to pour over that catalog and talk about what awesome vans and VW's we were going to have when we got older. That was the stuff of dreams.

Someday I'll have a Beetle with a fiberglass RR hood and a stinger...

someday...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I paid $10 to ship two screws.

Stupid Toyota uses stupid M3.5 screws for the stupid rear wiper blade on 3rd Gen 4Runners. $2.50 for the screws, $10 for shipping.

Stupid Toyota.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Night Danger Moose posted:

Hit me up next time, I'll get them for you cheaper and without ludicrous shipping. (This goes to anyone who wants Toyota oem stuff.)

Thanks! I need to do LBJs at some point.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The M3.5 bolts that hold on my rear wiper didn't want to come out.

I win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Verman posted:

Ugh. The ac is out on both of my vehicles. 08 4Runner with 212k and my 06 Prius with 102k. We're expecting a kid in August and my wife is insistent on having working ac, with good reason.

The Prius I'm almost certain is a bad compressor meaning it needs a new condenser etc and I've read the fix is long and painful, or expensive if you pay someone else to do it. It makes a not-so-great noise when the ac kicks on.

The 4runner, I'm not sure yet but it leaks. I recharged it a few years ago. I'm going to test the relay, then the compressor. If it's the compressor ... New condenser etc as well. I'm hoping it was just that I didn't put quite enough in. If the compressor seems fine, I might take it in to get a leak detection done.

Lord help me. Ac issues almost make me want to accept a monthly payment on a new car/s.

I replaced the entire system in my 99 4Runner a few years ago. Got the whole kit off Rockauto for around $300, worst part was getting the lines through the firewall. I bought a $99 vacuum pump from Harbor Freight and a manifold to charge it.

Worked great, AC was ice cold after that... right up until my buddy totaled it. :cry:

RIP, lil 4Runner.