Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
After 3 wrong parts, backorders and various dicking around from 2 different parts places, I finally found the proper rear brake hoses for my '86 Dodge Daytona drum to disc rear end swap.

Inching ever closer to driving again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Ordered replacement carpet for my '86 Daytona, and FINALLY got the correct rear brake hoses for the '91 Disc brake rear-end swap.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Its a really, really bad idea to use wire nuts in any sort of automotive application. They will work loose, and you will short poo poo out. You need to replace those with proper crimp connectors ASAP.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Took the plastic chrome plated "Chrysler" badging off my 300m, the chrome was peeling and looked like poo poo. Took the opportunity to take the dealer sticker off as well.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Replaced the worn, foggy yellow headlights on my 300m with new shinny, aftermarket blacked out ones..

Before:

After:

I tried the wet sanding routine, but it looked like it was tried before I took possesion of the car once before, and they never clear-coated after, so the UV got to the originals. Besides, I like the blacked out ones better anyway.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Blend door acuator for my 300m. I have heat again! :woop:

Took about an hour, and it wasn't nearly as awful a job as some make it out to be. Book time on it is 6 1/2 hours...I did it in under 90 minutes.

But...found out why I needed it. The airbox condensation drain tube is majorly clogged, so water was sitting in the bottom of the blend door area, flooding the acuator, thus killing it. Now I need to get the car on a lift to unplug the bastard.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Got my Bluetooth ODB-II Plug from DealExtreme today. Code reader for my Moto droid works, but I was hoping it will show live data as well.

Works awesome on my netbook though, was able to clear the P0400 evap failure code i had been saving in there...

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Changed the precious life-blood of the infamous A-604 Chrysler 4 Speed Auto.

Old fluid wasn't too bad, was likely done not to long ago, so hopefully that means its been taken care of before I got a hold of it.

Having friends with shops that have ATF fluid exchangers and lifts rules...

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Sockington posted:

ATF+3 exchangers, right? You don't want that regular ATF in there loving what's left for time...

I'm a Chrysler guy....of course my good friend.

Actually, +4. +3 is drat hard to find anymore anyways.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Water Pump, timing belt and tensioner assembly on my 300m.

God, Im happy its a longitudinal mounted FWD car sometimes...

I got the job done in a few hours, but then had to tear it all apart again as the water pump leaked...the drat gasket shifted when was mounting it.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

I installed a timing belt on a very similar 3.2L Intepid. After you remove the upper radiator support and the fans there is tons of room and it is a piece of cake. Did you use the special low profile puller to remove the crank pulley or did you pull the radiator out?

I actually left thc crank pulley on, you can snake the belt around the back of the pulley, then push belt into place through the holes in it. Its only a bitch to get the little piece of cover in place with the pulley stil on, but its possible.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Spent the 1st hung over and having to replace...

Click here for the full 720x431 image.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

krnhotwings posted:

Hit 250,000 on my '96 Camry..

Now is time to sell it on craigslist for $9000.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

evilnissan posted:

Put new plugs and coils in the RX8.

I have no idea why this picture is so wavy.

Throttle response and idle are much better than before.

Your phone was vibrating for some sort of alert while the picture snapped.

I put new inner tie-rod bushings on my 300M. Longitundinal FWD makes working on the steering rack something of a challenge, but it wasn't too bad thanks to the moog "problem solver" 2 piece bushing kit.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Helped a friend out. and pulled a Chrylser 2.2 Turbo II engine that was already missing its entire top end from a really amazing condition Dodge Daytona. Easy.

Then pulled an engine, tranny and axles from a T-Top Dodge Daytona that spent its entire life in New Hampshire, and the last 5 years sitting in a field.

I'm still coughing up chunks of rust.

The rocker panels were not just rusty, they AREN'T EVEN THERE ANYMORE. We couldn't support the car with jack stands because they were benting the frame rail from the weight of the car. We ended up running a chain through holes in a core support and used the engine hoist to jack the car up.

Yeah, thats the jute backing to the carpet there on the left.

Now we just need to freshen up the donor engine with some new belts, gaskets, water pump and hoses, and drop it in..

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 28, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Went to change my brake pads, found a suprise..

I knew I was due for sway bar end links, but yikes.

Of course, only one bolt came off without a fight...

So time for the die grinder.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Pushed my project Daytona into the garage before the snow comes.

Next year my friend, I promise....

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Changed the Thermostat on my 300m.

Sounds simple enough eh?

Nope....some geniuses decided on the 3.5L V6 that the stat is in the end of the LOWER Rad hose which connects on the middle side of the block, behind the alternator and in front of the oil filter. So imagine having a space just large enough to get a hand into, and having to align a gasket you can't see with a stat that just barely stays in place in a oh so slight lip on the housing on a reverse 60 degree angle.

Whats worse is they use loving bolts and not studs with nuts which would help you align the fucker slightly.

The entire reason I had to do the job in the first place is the last person who did it, was clearly as frustrated as me, and decided to RTV the hell out of the t-stat into the housing so it wouldn't fall out, but what ended up happening was the RTV broke off and jammed in the spring keeping it open.....

All this just to pass emissions. At least I have decent heat now.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Realized mine was up. Wednesday, on Tuesday. Had to get the town to stamp the form because they aren't speedy in reporting up to date property taxes.

On top of it, Stupid CT DMV wont let you renew in person until its 30 Days past due, I guess I'm riddin' dirty until the check clears.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Played rusty brake-line whack-a-mole all weekend on my beater '99 Dakota. Had already replaced everything from the prop valve to the rear axle last year, this year everything from the master to the front brakes, after dealing with numerous parts store morons not understanding I needed a BUBBLE flare and not a double flare, found that Chrysler decided to use 2 different size fittings at various places making my life interesting.

Get it all together and the bit from the rear axle flex line to the wheel cylinders lets go when attempting a bleed. :argh:

Still not fixed. Will end up needing to replace both rear wheel cylinders because the fittings are too rusty to come off, and will need to call in some help because drum brakes are like carbs to me, voodoo wrapped in cheetah blood sprinkled with pixie dust.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

I decided on the way home from work yesterday my front bumper cover was looking too...attached.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

No, that just happened to be driving by. I Hit a Nissan Rouge with a trailer hitch. Rouge did pretty well. Mine is likely a total.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

Replaced a diesel injector in my Peugeot. I've been putting it off for months and was expecting it to be a catastrophic PITA, I'd read horror stories of people with injectors galvanised into the heads and having to rent or buy special pullers to get the loving things out. Because I could sorta-kinda limp the thing along to job interviews and such I put it off, but now the nice weather's here and I have a job lined up I gave it a shot.

Done in 30 minutes, from opening the bonnet to closing it again. The injector practically fell out, the biggest difficulty was getting a spanner onto the pipe unions. Cue :staredog: faces all around, I thing changing the oil on my MX5 was more difficult. Only hitch is the new fuel pipe I ordered months ago doesn't bloody fit, so tomorrow I'll have to bike down to my local dealership and try to get the right part number.

So nice having a car less than 12 years old that doesn't fight you every step of the way. :allears:

It's nice when a job you read on the internet is supposedly a nightmare and when you do it, it's cake.

Blend door actuator on a Chrysler LH Car was mine...read horror story after horror story, did it in like 90 minutes, WITH one arm in a sling from having a metal rod and pins screwed to my broken collar bone a month earlier.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Got sick of the lovely job the PO did hacking up the stock bezel in my Magnum and the GIANT resulting blankness from the original din and a half radio, so I found a navigation bezel and went double din.

Actually had no idea that Bluetooth supported song titles now, which makes google music much more usable in the car. Radio has also awesome pandora support for Android, its too bad its only Pandora and not Slacker or Spotify.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Do you have any before pictures? Either way that looks really sharp, good job! I've been toying with the idea of going double-DIN myself but I'm cheap...

I didn't take any before pics because I Was so pissed of at it, but I found this pic.

Which while looking lovely, still was better than the monkey-gently caress-job that was in my car.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

How do you like your magnum? I am interested in getting one because I really want a rwd wagon. 2.7, 3.5, 5.7 or 6.1?

Really happy with it. I got the 3.5L as the only V8s around were out of the price range I wanted to spend or had way too many miles on them. I bike a lot and wanted something I could throw my bike in without having to futz around with a carrier or worry about it getting screwed with at the parking lot at work. It's pretty comfortable and getting pretty decent MPG for a big car. I'd recommend getting one with leather, I really hate the fabric on the cloth seats. If you are used to a small sporty road-hugger, you might be a bit put off with the handling, but I like big cars and am very happy with it.

Rear visibility sucks, and was made worse by the PO tinting the rear windows, which does look fantastic, so I have a backup camera module for the radio on its way as well.

My only real complaint other than backing up, is being a bit of a tinkerer and this is my most modern car to date, I am annoyed that you can't just simply swap some modules around from junkyard cars to get some of the higher-end features. My old 300m had the full EVIC trip computer, steering wheel controls, auto headlights and auto climate, but if I had say, an Intrepid without it, I could go pillage a car at the junk yard and swap in the modules and a little wiring.

In the Mag, EVERYTHING runs through CANBUS, so even a radio swap can be a pain in the rear end. People have been successful at adding things like steering wheel controls and EVIC, but you need to know a guy who knows a guy to get your car's vin updated with new codes and whisper "the dog runs at midnight" while meeting in a poorly lit alley to get the car flashed for anything new.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 13, 2013

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

kill me now posted:

They all come from the factory with tinted rear windows...

Yeah I know, but they added a layer. Its limo-dark.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Voltage posted:

Did some very ghetto rust repair on my beater/autoX Miata. Just cut out the rust with an angle grinder and then riveted some aluminum sheet metal over it. I'm going to plastidip the whole car this week. I know it's not even close to an ideal fix, but it has 200,000 miles and I just didn't want rust holes showing.

Its not rust, its "Active Weight Reduction"

Your Miata is getting lighter every single day.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

There's a huge debate, but there's no real argument in favor of carbs other than "I grew up with them and understand them better".

Both carbs and EFI systems have had some horrendously crappy implementations on various engines. Disregarding those and looking only at the decently-engineered stuff, EFI is vastly superior, especially with direct injection. But even without DI you can make more power with EFI, it automatically compensates for altitude, it's a lot more reliable, emissions are much lower, fuel milage is higher. You can even change between different tuning profiles for higher/lower-octane gas at the push of a button. Everything carbs can do, EFI can do better.

The only advantages to carbs are that they look "old school" and in some cases you can fix them with a hammer and a rubber band.

gently caress carbs. gently caress them forever. I love the apparent simplicity of them, relying on nothing but the laws of physics to feed your engine, but in reality they're complicated pieces of poo poo that wear out and are needlessly finicky.

I usually ask the carb diehards where all the 300HP V6s are that have a carb on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Brought her home..

'89 Shelby Daytona for the low low price of $0.

Was a good friends project he decided he had too many projects, and knows I like these cars, so I got it, a good engine on a stand and a pile of parts for nothing.

I essentially just need to freshen up the engine, drop it in and clean up some mouse piss in the engine bay.

I decided to part ways with my perpetual project '86, everytime I touched it, it needed more stuff and I was stalled with it.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 8, 2013