Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Took it to a BBQ, Then went hooting around the hills and got it COVERED in mud! :D

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

autophreak posted:

wash mud off so I can see out of it

Thats tomorrows job. or i'll just hope the dew tonight makes most of it fall off! :D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Started to build a pair of roller drawers for our 2 4wd's

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Started to build a pair of roller drawers for our 2 4wd's

And continued today!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Last 3 days.

rebuilt the entire front suspension assembly on a Toyota Prado- Top A Arm bushes, Bottom A Arm bushes, Bilstein bushes, new CV boots, New ball joints top and bottom, New swaybar links, new steering rack bushes

Then serviced it- Engine oil, filter, fuel filter, gearbox oil, transfer oil, front diff oil, rear diff oil. grease everything...

Hilux- Replaced a blown seal on the transfer case front output shaft, greased all the prop shafts, topped up gearbox oil, new transfer oil, replaced shackles and pins on the front leaf spring, greased all the springs, greased front end.

Now to finish the last of the cargo drawer mods, fit a new seat cover and prep the vehicles for a 3000km desert trip!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

$400 later, fitted new shocks and a new steering damper to try and make my car handle and go around corners again!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

spent 3hrs trying to get yesterdays mud off the thing- still havent gotten it all, but its significantly better than it was!

then a minor service- oil, filter, fuel filter, chassis grease and a tyre rotation- now my tyres are as noisy as hell until the big tread blocks wear into their new positions!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

ordered scrub bars and steel steps for my lux!:D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Replacing my copper/brass radiator for an alloy one, the seven blade fan for a 10 blade, new lower temp opening thermostat and some new coolant :)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

ordered some new glow plugs for the hilux.

See if i can get this bugger to start properly cold.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Installed a new stereo into dads prado as a fathers day present yesterday. Slept in today!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

5000km service today, so just oil, filter and chassis lubrication.

375,000kms so far on this thing, and 30,000km since the engine swap :)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well gently caress....

Pulled the steering shaft to find out why the steering was really heavy. Found the front universal joint on the shaft is siezed as solid as gently caress.

Im lucky i didnt tear the head off it and wind up with no steering!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I can give short people rides now! :D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Fitted a boost gauge to get an idea what the turbo is doing. At least ive found out why this thing goes so well compared to others- the stock boost on the 1KZ-TE motor is 9psi, mines running a solid 12psi!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

PSI when refering to air pressure, KPA when refering to water pressure works for me!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Wiring work in preperation to remove the canopy and drawers system, and new wiper arms go on today!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Bought a MIG welder, so now i can REALLY make a god awful mess of things on the truck! :toot:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Not my car, a Mates, but i dont think a CA20 powered ford corsair should ever sound like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyd6fxXISmo

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Took off the exhaust yesterday. Who knew a Camry could sound so mean?

open headers are where its at! :D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Cut up the remants of the chassis that the donor motor for the lux came from...

And had the 9" grinder jam and flick into my face :(

Motherfucking OW!

The cut doesnt hurt, the loving 5kg grinder to the face did... gotta love codine!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Pulled the big lightforces off and stripped the HID kits out of them.

New 55W HID's go in tomorrow! :D

And she looks wierd without its spotlights. :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Broke the transfer case lever off! so had to strip out the centre console and then the top of the transfer case to get the bit back and weld it back together again- one of the welds for the TWO extension pieces in that shifter failed!

Then started to remove the Dynamat from the doors.. Oh god do i HATE tar! 4hrs and still havent got the drivers door done :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

actually from LAST weekend, but only got around to processing the images this weekend....

I did this to my truck!

Who needs flex when you have lockers and barwork? :D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

modified the bash plate to suit the new radiator ive fitted, and discovered that my rear brakes are worn, i have an axle seal leaking and my rear diff has shed a piece of gear and makes a god awful noise now...

Sigh... :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Dyno Run! :D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Took one of these for a test drive (without all the fruit)

Sigh... now to find the $62K they want for one :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Replaced the starter with a junkyard starter- $100 and now my truck actually STARTS!

Old one was getting so slow the diesel wouldnt fire, and then started to not work completely!

Then tightened the wheel bearings back up to get rid of some play in the front axle.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

400K kms service- Timing belt, pulled the radiator and washed all the mud out of it, new coolant, new oils, bolted the turbo back to the manifold (nuts backed off and it fell off!) blocked off Exhaust Gas Recirc, Fuel filter, cleanded and re-oiled the foam air filter, Replaced two uni joints on the rear prop shaft, tightened diff pinion back up, greased everything, then cut and re-welded my exhaust so it doesn't touch the bodywork, chassis AND rear step!

That was yesterday, today i made new flaps for inside the wheel arches to try and keep a bit more mud in the wheel arches and a lot less out of the engine bay!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Some of you guy should SERIOUSLY look into buying oil in bulk if your using that much at a time!

I worked out with my vehicles at home (3 diesels, 5000km oil changes) that if i bought oil by the 5L container, my oil (Caltex Delo400) was around $9.50 a litre.

If i bought it by the 205L drum, its $4.40 a litre. Even the 20L drums got it down to about $6 a litre.

New truck im looking at buying has an 11 Litre sump... :cry:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Applied for a loan, and put a deposit down on a 2005 Landcruiser 4.2L Turbo Diesel Manual wagon!

No pics cos the buggers pulled the ad after i said i was very interested!

Pics wednesday when i test drive it :D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Took the Lightforce 240 blitz off and fitted the 240 XGT's with HID kits onto the cruiser today. And washed it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Dropped the engine oil and filter and did a change... 11.4L of diesel oil!

Later the dual battery controller goes in, new stereo, Air compressor and phone kit will go in!

Time to pull apart the dash on a $50K vehicle

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Added part of a tent!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

unknown poster posted:

They made those in a Turbo?!

Yeah- 4.2L Factory turbo motor. Only downside is you dont get the solid front axle and have to live with IFS.

And they are $20K more 2nd hand than either the 4.7L V8 or 4.2 NA diesel!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I have no idea why its been done like that- Theres technically "two" 100 series cruisers- The 100 series, which is all IFS and has either the 4.2TD or 4.7 V8, or the 105, which has a solid front axle, 4.2D or 4.5 straight six petrol.

The 105 chassis is pretty much a direct carry over from the previous generation cruiser, the 80 series, and they came with the 1HD-FT motor, which is essentially the 4.2TD motor from the 100 series minus intercooler and Electronic controls.

the 1HD-FTE from the 100 series certainly fits the 105 series chassis- there's a fair few guys running around with them fitted now, but as for why toyota didnt do it factory, i have no idea.

Hell, you can fit the big 90o 4.5L V8 diesel from the latest 70 series utes into a 105 series with some care, and thats the same width as a Chev diesel!

The IFS front end is a HELL of a lot nicer on the road and rough back roads than the solid axle tho- Rack and Peanut steering vs recirc ball and a few other things make em a lot easier to pilot.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

dissss posted:

I guess the thinking was the simpler engine and suspension setup should go together for harsh conditions (like Africa) and the more complex engine and suspension should go together for more moderate conditions (like Europe and Japan).

Its a bit weird that Australia got both, but I guess it makes sense given some are going to end up in the cities and others way out in much rougher areas.

There are actually a whole lot of ex-Australia 105s for sale in New Zealand - really basic compared to most of the 100s

ex Australia 105 - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Toyota/Land/auction-348403220.htm
Cheapest 100 with mega mileage - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Toyota/landcruiser/auction-359501602.htm (talk about retained value, a Range Rover that old is worth perhaps $10k with <100,000kms)

yeah- you get some WIERD vehicle configurations coming out of toyota when you look at their 4wd's.

The 76 series wagon for example.

In Australia, its offered with one motor. The 1VD-FTV 4.5L V8 Turbo Diesel

South africa its the 1HZ 4.2L Natural Athsmatic diesel.

UAE gets a 1FZ-FE 4.5L EFI Twincam I6 petrol!

All in the same chassis!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Changed the oil in the cruiser (All 11 LITRES OF IT!!!) and am about to do the valves.. which have a REALLY odd bridge system on them!

Process is back both adjusters off, adjust rocker, then adjust bridge, then check rocker and re-adjust both until they are in spec and the bridge is square on its post!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

replaced all the big end bearings on my mates 92 landcruiser turbo diesel, buttoned it all up, started it up, ran beutifully for about 3/4 of an hr and then "CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK" its got rod slap in #2....

So now its head off, piston out, New rod, put the whole lot back together again....
And the head is about 200kg without manifolds...

Sigh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Smashed into my 2nd kangaroo in 3 weeks. Poor bullbar :(