Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Last week I did my brakes, Sunday I started on the bad one (rear drivers side) and found out VW hates anyone who attempts to repair their own car. I waited until last thursday for a special socket so I could remove the rear caliper bracket and change my rotor, then had to go to a few autozones to get the caliper rewind tool because the first few didn't even know that they rented tools.

Today I washed terradactyl crap off my window, I cant think of anything else that could have poo poo that much on my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I tried getting my XJ8L up on a lift to look at the suspension and underside, on the way there I had this crazy idea of using the turn signal when I turned which killed the whole electrical system. It was still running and I made the mistake of putting it in park, so you need to push in the brake pedal to get it out of park but the brake lights would kill the electrical system again. After finding a way to pull out the plug and jamming a pen cartridge in the hole I was able to get it in drive and limp home, it felt like it was stuck in 3rd. I coasted to the slab in front of the garage and tried starting it again and nothing.

I pulled the battery and everything out of the trunk and began attacking grounds and anything else I could get to with the wire wheel and no-ox grease, then I hit a bunch of grounds under the hood with the same. Success, it started again and I felt like I wouldn't push my luck any further and parked it for the winter. Await my follow up post on this car in the spring when I attempt to clean the grounds I couldn't easily get to. Do the British have conductive grease or does Jaguar just not care?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
It looks nice, the prep work was worth it. Probably why it costs so much to get someone else to do it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Cobbled together a car stand last weekend out of some I beams I had laying around, running out of reasons to start working on it finally. I'm happy with how stable this setup is, I have yet to see how hard it is to get the casters over the lip into the garage but I have a trick I can do with my pallet jack for that.

It's no lift but it will fit in my low ceiling garage and let me tear into the suspension much easier.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've been checking auctions and haven't found the right deal on a recovery machine yet, I could really use a tire machine lately.

I was hoping I could post about how I changed out the timing parts on the XJ8 yesterday but I cleaned the garage well enough to make an attempt today. Fist time tearing into something with 4 cams.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

PitViper posted:

Are you looking for a full auto recovery machine, or one of the more basic ones? I was actually pleasantly surprised how inexpensive a new Robinair RG3 is, even if it is their light-duty model. Considering I'm not in the "time is money" mindset on my own junk, I'm willing to let the process take longer and be more hands-on than a full auto machine.

I'm surprised how cheap some of our used equipment gets auctioned off for. Someone scored our last tire balancer that got auctioned for like $50, but granted it was the last original machine for our location, installed back in 2004. Pretty low spin count, since it was tucked off in the corner of the last bay and really only got used if we were really swamped, or one of the other newer machines was down for service.

AC machine is one of those if I can get it for less than $100 it would be worth it for the 1-2x a year I'd use it, like a tire mounting machine that I should have bought for $60 when I had the chance. If something rarely used is cheap enough it becomes something worth storing.

On a different note gently caress lifetime fill transmissions! Is there a trick I'm missing on how to disconnect the cooler lines from the radiator without loosing a bunch of ATF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Truck doin’ truck stuff.

With the writing on the box it all fits together. That little truck looks so much more useful than a side by side for yardwork.

Car looks good with the hardtop, how much better is the wind and road noise?