Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT 2: Apparently, success! A bit of trouble getting the drat thing out from under the dashboard, but my rudimentary soldering skills were sufficient to melt a bit of solder and heal the circular crack around one of the points. This picture is from before; after looks much the same, but with a bit more metal in a few places. The car started up without any trouble after I plugged everything back in.

I did the same thing to my main relay on a '94 Accord after half a year of my car not starting whenever it was wet or too hot. Mine had four pins that had the circular cracks in the old solder.

Took me a whole three minutes to mend once the iron was warmed up, and I got to feel smug about not falling for the rear end in a top hat at the shop telling me I needed a new starter. The sucker starts up every time without fail now; I try not to kick myself for not figuring the problem out sooner.

Today, I ground a lot of rust off my calipers . . . and then I stared at the holes rusted through the rear quarter panel, shook my head sadly, and went inside to drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Today I replaced this valve cover gasket on my (relatively new to me) 2004 Corolla's 1ZZ-FE 1.8L engine. The existing gasket was quite brittle, and if you look closely you might be able to see that it was leaking just a wee tiny bit of oil all over the front and sides of the engine. I wonder how many years it has been doing this before I owned the car, it's really caked on there. On the plus side it seems like the previous owners at least changed the oil at decent intervals, because those cams don't look half bad to me for an engine with 231k miles on it (371k km).

I cleaned up the mating surfaces and what I could reach of the oily mess on the outside of the engine and valve cover, then put those little thin smears of RTV where the timing cover meets the head, and installed a new Felpro gasket that was $16 on rockauto. Torqued everything to spec about four times as the gasket squished. Went for a twenty mile test drive and it looks like a great success, no signs of new weeping oil on any of the places I cleaned.