Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I only changed my oil and filter. I went looking for a new shift boot but none of the junkyard cars had one that fit, so I might have to pull mine out and see if I can get a pattern made and cut at a leather tannery. I wish I could have the wacky ribbed rubber shift boot from 80s cars.

This weekend might be the fuel filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oil and filter on an I5 Eurovan. The skid plate was most of the hard labour; eventually we bodged together a lever system with some spare pieces of 2x4 to hold it in place while we bolted it back to the frame.

Was going to install an Equus tachometer from Canadian Tire (no OEM one) but we couldn't find the tach sensor and the tach didn't come with the inductive ignition wire clamp that the manual stated it had. Returning it tonight.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Noticed that my windshield washer fluid bottle has a leak. :argh:
I was there a few months ago. At first I tried epoxy but I couldn't find the leak accurately and it doesn't seem to work on ABS plastic anyway.

Then I figured I'd just pop out the tank and replace it. GM wraps the air intake around the washer fluid bottle, which necessitates partial removal of the battery, fender liner, left front wheel and fusebox, and has a one-way rubber fastener between the washer bottle and the intake's vapor reservoir that's permanently fused at build time. It tears if you try and move the intake around too much, such as trying to separate the intake from the washer bottle.

I ended up grabbing an entirely new assembly from a Sunfire, only to find their washer filler neck is inexplicably 1/4" longer and rubs on my hood. :sigh:

e: Here's a really awful diagram:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 10, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Mine is stupid and under the battery and behind the headlight, but on the right side. Hooray GM. I hope it doesn't involve removing wheels and fenders.
Yeah, the part of the reservoir past the filler neck is under the (welded-on) battery holder. The underside including the air intake neck clamps onto the inside of the fender.

If your car is the same way, do yourself a favour and look for a little plastic expanding-bolt (like an arrowhead) that fits into the inside of the fender from the side of the reservoir. I think it's there to keep the reservoir from shaking against the side of the body, and I definitely couldn't wiggle the reservoir at all until it was out. I had a horrible time finding that until I took the fender liner and wheel off, but now that I know where it is I could probably take it off with just removing the fender liner. Knowing GM they probably reused this exact piece for everything from the J-bodies to the WS6.

It would've been faster for me to pull the motor, I suspect. Or the bumper.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A tank of gas, and then discovering that despite what the gas cap says, driving around with it open does not make warning lights appear on your dashboard, preventing you from looking like a goober when you pull into traffic. :saddowns:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Somehow a rock ended up wedged between my OEM wheel and the hubcaps, so I had to take a hubcap off to get rid of the thumping-plastic-water-bottle sound whenever I drove anywhere.

Looking at changing the plugs and wires now to take care of a bizarre flat spot in the 2000-2500 rpm range that makes the car shudder on deceleration and stumble on acceleration.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I bought my snow tires way back in the summer, when Canadian Tire was selling Nordics for practically half off. I got to install them, as well as install snow tires for three other vehicles "while I had the jack out."

My arms are pretty tired now after removing and fastening 20 wheels and 80 lugnuts with a 24" breaker bar in a few hours. New respect for tire shop guys.

It's my first time on snow tires, hoping it will be awesome. :woop:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
^^^ That might be the best $1k anyone has ever spent.

I just spent two hours trying to change the driver-side turn signal bulb. Whoever at GM designed this thing must have really tiny hands - you have to come in through the fender liner and reach into a very small hole and manipulate the thing with the very tips of your fingers because the intake plumbing and crash reinforcement beams are directly in the way.

I can't imagine how you get the headlights off. I hope I can sell the car before one of the headlight bulbs burn out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

I finally replaced the shifter bushings in my WRX. I should have done this years ago. The new bushings cost $30 shipped and it took less than 10 minutes to do. It doesn't make a WRX 5-speed feel good compared to truly good manuals, but it feels a whole hell of a lot better. I also swapped out my intercooler hoses and clamps for something with better flow and that wasn't getting old and brittle.
Which bushings did you get and where from? I was considering buying the Turn In Concepts "Holy Shift" bushing set, having driven a car with it installed, but it's obviously more than $30.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cop posted:

It's a 2004 and I don't think my airbags work anyways since it has an aftermarket radio. From what I know, since I bought my wiring harness for $12.00 instead of $120.00, my door ding and airbags don't work anymore.
What kind of car does that? That seems monstrously unsafe, or at least ridiculously complicated.

On my old GM, swapping the stereo out made you lose door ding but I would never imagine that anyone would design an airbag system that even comes close to the stereo wiring.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Summer tires and wheels, finally!

Jacking it up by the rear diff was pretty weird, especially since my trolley jack is tiny as all get out.

I'm debating whether or not to repaint the wheels - they're EDM WRX wheels, but I kind of like them. I'll probably have to get rid of them when I go to wider tires :(

I was worried they wouldn't clear my brakes (they definitely don't clear STI Brembos) but they do!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I dropped my car off at the tire shop to have a nail removed and the tire patched up. My friend picked me up to give me a ride back home, and on the way we visited a VW swap meet show, wrenched on his other car, got the other car tooling around and jumped it a few times from my Eliminator kit once we realized its battery was flat and not charging well.

So, nothing done on my car but it still turned out pretty well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oil change, but I wasn't sure about the valve noise on the drivers' side of the block, so I took it to the local Subaru independent mechanic to have them check it after they do the change. Hopefully it's just one of the cavalcade of normal Subaru sounds.

Wednesday the car is going in to get its bumper repainted (the first owner hosed up the bumper cover and one of the fenders on a fence and apparently found the worst paint shop ever to repaint and reinstall them - not a single bit of prep, not even sanding it down). That's going to be expensive. :ohdear: They're throwing in some touch-up work around the car for the various other bits and pieces that got beat up over its life.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Paint shop called, my bumper is done and the replacement foglight is on order. Looking forward to it. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Paint shop called, my bumper is done and the replacement foglight is on order. Looking forward to it. :)
It looks great. As soon as I unpack my phone cable or remember to send the picture over Bluetooth to my computer I'll have to upload the picture.

I was tempted to get the entire car reshot in a different paint colour (Forest Green, like the NA bugeyes) but it would probably cost a fortune (the bumper alone was more than enough money).

Next up on the mods is to get the stupid lowering springs taken off and replaced with the OEM WRX springs so I can finally clear the apartment parking lot entrance without scraping. I should probably take care of the anti-lift kit at this point as well, so I don't have to pay for an alignment twice.

After that, I'll probably be looking for new tires (still rolling on the RE92s that came with the car, and they're getting frighteningly worn through even moderate city driving) and possibly wider wheels.

edit: Here is a picture. It's a pretty good job; they even fixed the crookedness of the bumper. They still have to put a missing clip on the right hand side.

Before, you can see some of the damage in this picture from when I first got it, but it was getting a lot worse near the end to the point where an entire sheet of paint came flying off at highway speeds from the front diffuser bit. Rock chips would just take huge chunks off.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 18, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

edit: Here is a picture. It's a pretty good job; they even fixed the crookedness of the bumper. They still have to put a missing clip on the right hand side.
Done! They also replaced the right hand foglight assembly and touched up the paint on the hood so I can put 3M coating on it.

Now I can focus my attention on the parts of the car that matter more than aesthetics.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Got it fitted with a new clear bra. In the bay next to me at the tint place was a brand new 9-kilometer Ford Raptor SVT which was getting a smaller, less expensive clear bra than me. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Free hail chip repair! :woop:

... as part of the continued work to refit my bumper to clean up after the first repair shop, which apparently just left random parts out of it.

Next: Fixing the "fuel distributor" (:confused:) on an '86 Audi 5000. What the hell is a fuel distributor? Apparently it's attached to the fuel pressure regulator, so it must be somewhere on the injector fuel rail. Or not! Inside of it is a tiny rubber plunger which apparently shits itself after, oh, about 25 years. Mechanical fuel injection is fun.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 5, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yesterday: full bumper rebar replacement. I wish I had taken a picture of the old bumper rebar; the previous shop had just cut and welded it back together again to "un-bend" it. The welds were chock full of really nasty looking rust and the fitment holes on the rebar had obviously been cut out with a Dremel in order to make it fit.

The new rebar is a little expensive, but it's worth it so my bumper actually lines up straight and I won't die horribly in a collision:

I think the shop may have taken some pictures of her guts when we had the bumper cover off to have it repainted, I'll see if I can get them.

edit: Man, my headlight lenses are getting foggy. I'll have to see if I can find some decent headlight polish.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 6, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I put a brake master cylinder brace on and did a little bit of fiddling with my bumper to try and straighten it out. No luck, but I did find a few bolts that either fell out or weren't replaced properly by the body shop.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Here you go! The exhaust is about 2.5in in diameter and goes from the Y-pipe back. There is a notable difference in BOOSTU quality as well.
What kind of boost controller are you running? Have you tuned the car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I did my first autocross at McTinkerson's rotary event.

It smelled like a lawnmower convention with all the high-powered rotaries kicking around. I must've been the slowest (or near-slowest) driver out there, with frequent stupid overbraking attempts and gate misses on the back stretch. On the plus side, I didn't hit any cones and have to get out and exchange insurance information with them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Got a new battery because the colder weather lately (-16'C) has been exposing how lovely the previous owner's Energizer from Walmart was.

Went to Canadian Tire after not having any luck finding a battery that fit anywhere else; they had a pile of used batteries from this week alone that reached drat near to the ceiling. I guess other people must be neglecting their starting needs as well. Last battery they had that fit was a NASCAR-branded Motorcraft one. Now I have a Subaru with a NASCAR battery, and have been noticing a significant ease in turning left.

Why the hell is Canadian Tire sponsoring NASCAR?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MATLAB 1988 posted:

My 1986 Subaru XT has a torn CV boot, the CV isn't making noise yet. I hope not to do any wrenching until spring, I'll replace the CV axle then (maybe install some Poly bushings while I'm at it!)

My Subaru is an 8-bit Miata, Yaaay :allears:
Is the boot really torn? It might have just popped the circlip off and is slightly leaking a little bit. Sometimes you can get lucky if you catch it soon enough and just pop the circlip back on before it gets dirt in it or leaks out all the axle goop.

Also: that thing is awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Found out that a 4.5mm allen key exists and is required for adjusting the residual fuel pressure on an Audi 5000:

Of course I don't have one, and discovered the size after spending an hour and a half taking apart the airbox to get it out of the fender.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrSaturn posted:

Sorry...what? What's a doorblade? Before/after would help.
I think it's the nubbins pointing out at the kickplate on the bottom of the doors. The S4 has it (I've seen a few S4s with them broken off and it looks pretty bad).

e:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I just swapped my PCV. Nothing big.

I've got a pretty big install day coming soon (struts, springs, control arms, control arm bushings, control arm relocation kit, ball joints, steering rack bushings). Get better, weather!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 25, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm just enjoying my car at the minute. That's code for waiting for FedEx and DHL to get off their asses and push the rest of my suspension swap parts through customs.

ExecuDork posted:

That just goes to show how perfectly engineered Chrysler minivans were - clearly, everything was finely calibrated to fail at exactly the same time, with the (awful, awful, horrible) A604 transmission designed to give out a week earlier than everything else as a safety feature.

In the 7 1/3 years I owned my van, I had major transmission work done twice. I'm retarded.
It really sucks. My parents had an '84 Caravan with the 5-speed and it was rock solid. They ended up upgrading to the '93 V6 when they wanted more space and more safety, and the car basically bled money. Two automatic transmissions got replaced under warranty, almost all of the interior trim broke off, the passenger side power window fell off of its regulator about once a year and the roof was peeling when they traded it in in '99.

At one point we were heading to a family vacation on a moderate-speed secondary highway when the van just started coughing out enormous clouds of thick grey smoke and lost power. I assume now that this was the head gasket. We ended up leaving the van at the dealership (it's the weekend, why would a Dodge repair desk be open?), going back and continuing the vacation in a rusty '88 F-150 Custom. How's that for a family hauler?

I can only imagine how much things got worse after their later "redesigns" and additional features. I will happily point to that specific van as being the Worst Car In The World in lieu of contrary evidence.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

Oh, the dealer quoted her $400 "and we won't charge you for the labor" to replace the handle. I got the handle from the same dealer for $80. And yes, I did give the dealer the VIN to make sure they got the right color, and it looks like they still managed to get a different color..
White fades a little from UV damage, I bet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Swapped '99 2.5RS sedan headlights into my '97 Outback Sport. I'm thinking I'll need to adjust the headlights quite a bit to compensate for the increased ride height of the Outback Sport over the sedan.

Starting out:

Where we're going, we don't need eyes:

Done! So modern!

I lost one of the headlight mounting bolts on the driver side when I fumbled the socket with it inserted, but it's pretty solidly in there so I'd say a job well done (at least until the bolt rolls out from wherever it got stuck and I can install it again).

Next up: replacing the driver side fender! Looks like it could also use a new Subaru badge.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 10, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I put in new Hawk HPS brake pads. It surprises me people pay to have this done, though I can imagine some cars are a bigger pain in the rear end than mine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

I'm probably gonna have to spray the poo poo out of them with PB Blaster or something
Just make sure you don't use WD40; I find it tends to make the undercoat gummy for a little while which gets awful when you're working under the car. Someone recommended Seafoam Deep Creep to me.

Saturate it a little bit each day for the week leading up to the install, and that should help a lot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Are Forester tail lights tarred in, or are they like the GD+ Impreza where they're just bolted in? I have to redo the tar on my '97 Impreza, so I'm curious what people are using.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I hope you paid cash at the dealership too and wore a disguise.

Looking forward to doing my first t-belt in a few weeks, but thankfully it's SOHC :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You added a battery tie-down to that after the picture was taken, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't see anything going over the top of the battery; I see the hole at the bottom where I would imagine the tiedown would latch into. I'm probably missing something though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think Cobalt SSes are cool and I'd totally rock one. I'd have to make it look like a base model though - no wing, no badges, maybe even sell the wheels for some steelies. It's always fun to surprise people. :v:
They made a four-door version and you can could get it in one of the boring shades of blue. You just know that was their intention from the start.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

Blue isn't boring. :colbert:
I guess it's more of a gunmetal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tentacle Party posted:

After arriving at my new tropical address with the biggest garage of my life, I ripped the front bumper off...
Wow. That is an enormous garage. What is it, double deep two-car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I didn't even know there was such a thing as wide-angle LEDs. I guess I need to look a little closer next time I'm at the supply store.

I'm tempted to redo all the bulbs in my Impreza's dash but Subaru uses white bulbs covered in little green plastic 'condoms' that I'm not really willing to pull off and swap. An LED in the proper colour from the start would be much better.