Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
Broke the fan clutch, buying a new one out of the junkyard. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

My dad and I started cracking open my 99 Galant GTZ to get at the timing belt and water pump. What a loving nightmare. We must've worked on it for 2 or 3 hours last night and we're only just able to see the timing belt now, through a little hole where I think the crankshaft pulley was. The Haynes manual is stupid too, because it shows that you can stick a screwdriver right through the pulley wheel to hold it while you loosen up the crankshaft bolt in the center. So my dad and I had to ghetto-rig a sort of a lever with a small pry bar and the end of a big rear end drill bit that I had to hold on to while he tried to loosen it up. Also, it says you have to take out the alternator, and that the only thing in the way is the power steering hose. Turns out it's NOT the power steering hose, but the AC hose, AND there's a thick steel shield right over the top of the alternator that was bolted to the block.

Sucks because this isn't even a performance upgrade. With this level of work and commitment, you would hope you could be messing around with engine internals or some other major upgrade, but nope, this is just regular maintenance to ensure that my valves are crushed to gently caress by my pistons.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

TheFrailNinja posted:

My dad and I started cracking open my 99 Galant GTZ to get at the timing belt and water pump. What a loving nightmare. We must've worked on it for 2 or 3 hours last night and we're only just able to see the timing belt now, through a little hole where I think the crankshaft pulley was. The Haynes manual is stupid too, because it shows that you can stick a screwdriver right through the pulley wheel to hold it while you loosen up the crankshaft bolt in the center. So my dad and I had to ghetto-rig a sort of a lever with a small pry bar and the end of a big rear end drill bit that I had to hold on to while he tried to loosen it up. Also, it says you have to take out the alternator, and that the only thing in the way is the power steering hose. Turns out it's NOT the power steering hose, but the AC hose, AND there's a thick steel shield right over the top of the alternator that was bolted to the block.

Sucks because this isn't even a performance upgrade. With this level of work and commitment, you would hope you could be messing around with engine internals or some other major upgrade, but nope, this is just regular maintenance to ensure that my valves are crushed to gently caress by my pistons.

The other day we got the timing belt off and discovered that it's perfectly fine. Probably has another 50,000 miles on it, easy. Same with the water pump.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

Terrible picture of terrible old tires

New sneaks, Wild Country Radial XTX, some cooper off-brand A/T

And I cleaned up the engine bay a little bit, needs more attention though.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

Today I washed and waxed the old girl, but recently I cut off the lower valance. Shows the factory skidplates, tow hooks and gave the front tires a little more clearance. Maybe someday I'll get around to the piece of poo poo wheel bearing and replace the stolen faceplate to my stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

No pics, but the first thing I did was de-badge the tailgate and completely horse-gently caress my clear coat by removing the pinstriping down the side. Then a couple of days ago I finally pulled down the headliner and tore off the sagging grey fabric. Stuck in this cool little navajo fleece blanket I've had sitting around. Ended up being an inch or so short in the back, but no bigs.

Yesterday I began the repaint. Got three can's of ACE Rust Stop in Hunter Green Satin. Washed the truck down with dawn, sanded with 220, washed that down, wiped with microfiber, they taped it all off. Prepping took pretty much from 3-9 then I layed down about 4 coats before 11PM. Didn't even bother filling in the rust and poo poo. It's honestly way too deep, and I would find a new bed if I really wanted clean fenders. So I sprayed right over it all. There's some overspray here and there but it is so much better than it was before. You can see in the other pictures, it had all sorts of black rust converter crap sprayed all over, and dried, cracking bondo and whatnot all over the place. It's far from perfect, but honestly it's kind of a beater and I think it's a lot more fun to experiment with it. I'm happy with the way it turned out. My brother got a couple cans of black plasti-dip so I'm gonna hit the trim pieces and wiper blade arms with it today if the paint dries enough. It's still kind of tacky.