Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartingfool
Aug 30, 2008
I finally decided to try and fix this bogging issue I had today with my car. Basically it'd run at whatever engine speed it wanted to until everything got warmed up after a few minutes, then I could do whatever I wanted. I smelled gas every time I tried hitting the pedal and it would bog, so I started there.

I pulled a few spark plugs, seemed alright. Then I said gently caress it and decided to check my cap and rotor. Holy mother of god. I didn't even know it was possible to run with so much corrosion. I looked online for replacement. $70 on ebay?! $75 from pelicanparts? Let's see what Advance Auto Parts has them for..$80! I called to see if they were in stock. Nope. Typical. Next day though, I can't complain that bad. I figure I can sand down the cap and rotor for now while I have it off until I get another day off to replace it fully. The car still bogged, but much less.

Today I got the new cap and rotor, some cheesy brand "BWD" I think. How bad could it be, seriously. I proceed to take off my old cap and rotor yet again. I got slowly frustrated with the cramped area, the 95 degree weather, my dogs barking, the rear end in a top hat neighbor mowing his lawn onto my ankles, and the people across the street getting a new roof.

I try to save what I can of the old wires ($120 for a set :arghfist: ). Rotor goes on fine, then I start to bolt on the cap. One bolt, fine. Second bolt..c'mon little lock washer get a little tighter... *CRACK* No...no. Please don't be what I think it is. Yup. Barely got it past finger tight before this cheap rear end chinese, NASCAR branded cap loving broke and took a plug wire nipple with it. I started it up regardless. It ran, but with a definitive miss.

I called up Advance, and thankfully they're going to give me a replacement for free. Too bad it comes in tomorrow. I would have been screwed if this happened to a part I ordered online. A little long for something stupid, but I feel the vent necessary today.

Edit: Picture for good measure of old cap.
[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/9e6ac1497c3f9e131a2a92f972f4f77aa56955e9/t/IMG_0144[1].jpg[/img]

fartingfool fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU