Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Stuck some fuel in it, and finally realised that my CBR1000F carbs are never going to come and that I've been scammed :(

God knows where I'm going to find a set of cheap bike carbs (700cc-1000cc from a bike with a fuel pump, not gravity fed) now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Welp, the bitchbucket left me stranded last night. So I guess today I'm trying to figure out if the fuel pump is toast like I think it is.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Xanth Eridani posted:

well hey guys, im new here :D looks like my sort of thread :D

im from the UK and i have a Nissan 200sx S14 (i think these are the 240sx in america)

having spent the best part of 6 months rebuilding the engine myself, after having melted a piston, she's now all back together at around 400/420bhp getting her dynoed next month

ill get some pics up in a bit

cheers

Ben

1. Use your shift key.
2. Don't post 'hey i'm new here' posts.
3. The 200SX isn't quite the same as a 240 (SR20DET vs KA24DE).
4. Don't sign your posts.

5. Post pictures, it sounds pretty good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Took off my (illegal) black and white plates, and put on the required yellow and white plates, after being pulled over by the cops a few too many times.

I'm just disappointed in the amount of time it will take to build up the beautiful patina of dirt I had going on with the old plates :v:

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
After 3 month of trying to find just the right set (and being screwed around and scammed) I bought these:

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

DogDodger posted:

Found a pinhole leak in the FMIC of my TT. :(

JBWeld. Worked fine on my intercooler for years.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Fixed a clutch cable that had frayed all the way through (I didn't even realise that could happen, but I guess after 27 years of use anything is possible) by buying cable of roughly the same diameter from B&Q and then thread it through the old cable sheath using eyelets and tiny u-clamps ... seems to work so far.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Goddamn that really did buff out pretty good.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I spent two hours trying to do a alignment with tape measures, string, a level, and an angle finder after the tyre place refused to do it for me as I was way too low for their machine.

They put on the 4 new landsails though. So good I can barely find any info on them on google.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Went over a level crossing and ripped off my rusty exhaust and them drove 20 miles home with open headers :(

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Dropped it off for 50% of what the car is worth to be done in welding so I can get an MOT :(

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

~Coxy posted:

Over the weekend I wired in my radar detector to my new car. No more dangly wires down to the lighter socket!

I hooked into the map lights power connector with wire tap connectors. Took a bit of trial and error, plus I hosed up once because my new cable had the colours in a different order to the old one.

One oddity is that the radar will stay on for up to an hour after you turn off and lock up the car. I assume this is because all the interior circuits run off the same timer that lets the sound system keep playing even when the car is off.

This is one of the worst wiring jobs I've ever seen.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

nollij posted:

This saved me around $300 to not have to get a new starter.

$300? The last starter motor I bought (a month ago) was £25 including shipping.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Trapdoor posted:

Being a gigantic moron on the road loving blows...

Here I fixed that for you. Double the speed limit? I really hope they do take your license away.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

screenwritersblues posted:

Roughly an hour later and standing in the worlds tiniest waiting booth, I find out that I failed because of a crack in my gas cap seal. Really? Your going to fail me all because of crack that isn't noticeable unless you point it out? What's wrong with people today.

If there's a crack then it isn't sealing you idiot. Perfectly reasonably to fail you for it.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Ahaha, $30 to tell people your car is supercharged.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

jammyozzy posted:

Took it for it's MOT and watched it fail on the steering rack, emissions + an exhaust leak, the handbrake is crap, the horn doesn't work and the one that got me the most, both headlights point too far right.

£800+ repair for a car valued at ~£600. Looks like I get to go car shopping! :bang:

Exhaust repair kit from Halfords, tighten up your handbrake, new horns, adjust headlights. £50 total.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
poo poo, I missed the steering rack, that's definitely going to be a bitch if the car's relatively modern.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Bought these for more than I should've spent ... they better turn up

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

McMadCow posted:

Installed an electronic ignition conversion into my distributor. Also replaced the cap, rotor, and all the spark plug cables. Also replaced the valve cover gasket.
It runs better than it ever has! :)
Then the starter died. :(
Oh hey! Project for next weekend! :v:

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I went with electronic ignition too, funnily enough. Is yours just a kit that replaces the condensor so the points are switching just tiny amounts of current or does it replace the points as well?

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Billy Tully posted:

Holy poo poo you are awesome for turboing a Yaris. Cant wait to see the results of that.

Yeah he might even get a whole 10hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Podothehobbit posted:

Ohhhh I HATE CARS i'll have you know people are making a whole 175-180 whp after the install, which doesn't sound like much but it will certainly beat the anemic 95-100 whp i'm making now haha.

I require a proper dyno before and after install before I'm willing to believe that.