Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Started tearing out the interior on the Cuda. If I do this with the same speed as I do anything else with my vehicles, I'm thinking I'll have it back together somewhere around 2017 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Gone.

Baby.

Gone.

God, what a poo poo job that was. New clutch on the Pug, and while in there we changed the rear main seal, since it was weeping quite badly.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Started going through some stuff on the El Camino. Both the oil pressure and water temp senders are unplugged, it took two quarts to even get a reading on the dip stick for the trans, and the engine lost about two quarts on the trip home. It's gonna be a good summer! :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
New rear shocks and springs on the El Camino.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
2011 Golf, rear trailing arm.

2016 Toyota Urban Cruiser (basically a Scion xD), at the time the picture was taken it was brand new, as in zero km on the odo.

Darchangel, this is why Scandinavians drink so much.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
El Caminos kept the vent windows until 1972 tho, didn't they? Or was there some top trim level that didn't?

Fiesta air filter doesn't actually look that bad for 40k miles (I forgot OK).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, not today per se, but in the last week at least.

Inspection on the blue one. Passed. Bought it for $150 and it's now legal for one year, not bad.

Changed out the (second) ballast on the black one. I love how everything on the facelift 9-5 is harder to get at.

Christ my auto upload thing compressed the poo poo out of those pictures.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Only took about four hours of hitting it from all sides with a sledge, heating it with an oxy/mapp torch, trying the bolts-thru-the-caliper-mounts-trick and hitting it even more.

The other one I just cut open with the disc grinder, took about an hour. God I love salt and winter and winter and salt and irauroahglieuagggkjjbgikdhgkedhgoeigehgeoge

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of control arms...

Ball joint boot was basically torn off, I think I know EXACTLY how it happened but grandma isn't exactly flush with cash so I'll eat the cost.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Turn turbo 90 degrees so that exhaust inlet is pointed rearward and exhaust outlet goes to the left, giving you some more space to work with the routing?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

You'll note that it never comes out of first gear. That's why it's parked. Something went wrong in the TH200-4R.

I'm sure you have no problem figuring it out, but I actually happened to have this laying around so I'll put it here anyway.

Fake edit: ouch, that quality.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like big tubes and I can not lie.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd recognize an XU intake anywhere. Looking good!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chrisgt posted:

Also, if you manage in hitting the oil pan in that car on a rock, you've messed up BAD.

It's there for aerodynamic reasons, not as protection.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STR posted:

FWIW, almost all of our power equipment at work (3 forklifts, 4 pallet jacks) use flooded cells

I'll admit I have a small sample size, but all electric power equipment I've ever used (that used lead batteries ofc) had flooded cells, with the whole topping it up after charging and stuff.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'd go for four Fieros.

Fiesty foreigner fantasises, formulating finances for four Fieros.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For a second scrolling past the first picture, the reflection made it look like blood on the inside of the windshield.

If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The El Camino wouldn't idle, holding it at 2000 rpm with the pedal it would run but pop & crackle a lot. For some reason, I was convinced there was a blockage in the carb since it drove there (last autumn...) but after disassembly and blowing compressed air through everything back and forth for four hours it still ran the same, and a quick check with the fuel line in a bottle tells me the mechanical pump is most likely junk. For some reason, it has a three-line pump (in, out, return) instead of two (in, out) like other Chevy SB pumps I've seen and the three-line pumps are 1) uncommon and 2) out of stock everywhere. So I ordered at a random store that had them "in stock", we'll see how much that lines up with reality.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

I know that a '70 Chevelle with the LS-6 454 used that pump; maybe you can look it up with that reference. For example, the Carter M6102 is $20.79 on rockauto.

EvilBeard posted:

if I remember right, 2 line pumps are high output, 3 line pumps are regular pumps.

The place I ordered from sent me an email, "out of stock, 4-5 weeks out" so I cancelled the order. Big block and small block pumps don't interchange sadly. I can find dozens of places with two-line pumps (and for example Holley doesn't even have three line pumps in their lineup at all), but three line pumps are just out of stock wherever I look. Starting to think if I can just plug the return line for now and run a two-line pump.

Also, I'm in the EU, so my choices with regards to shopping are a bit constricted.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The El Camino wouldn't idle, holding it at 2000 rpm with the pedal it would run but pop & crackle a lot. For some reason, I was convinced there was a blockage in the carb since it drove there (last autumn...) but after disassembly and blowing compressed air through everything back and forth for four hours it still ran the same, and a quick check with the fuel line in a bottle tells me the mechanical pump is most likely junk. For some reason, it has a three-line pump (in, out, return) instead of two (in, out) like other Chevy SB pumps I've seen and the three-line pumps are 1) uncommon and 2) out of stock everywhere. So I ordered at a random store that had them "in stock", we'll see how much that lines up with reality.

After putting the new pump in, it still wouldn't idle. Taking the carb apart AGAIN I found some weird white scale in one of the emulsion tubes and some weird white goop in one of the primary venturis, and after cleaning that out and a little fine-tuning of the idle speed and mixture screws it's now up and running again. So I can finally go and show it to the guy that maybe will help me out with the completely rotted window channels.

https://vimeo.com/482103065

Yes I know, filming in portrait mode is haram. It just comes naturally while holding the phone in one hand.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

First time I've seen rust in my life.

I hate you. Because I want to be you.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've put the more expensive Stahlbus valve on my fleet, cause I can't even begin to imagine how gunked up the Fumoto thing would be after a salty winter.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ball joint was shot on the Peugeot, didn't pass inspection. It was 5 bux more expensive to get a whole control arm WITH ball joint than buying just the ball joint.

That roll bar, very important on this 60hp monster. (Only 770kg (1700lbs) tho, it's actually pretty fun.)

Also the brake was dragging pretty bad on the front, same side, so new caliper it is. 40 bux.

And since the car is so so tiny, the rear mount of the control arm is actually under the drivers' feet. The flap for access through the sound deadening is pre-cut from the factory. The moisture shield was intact before I got in there, so likely the original 1992 control arm.

And yes, its' got 3 bolt wheels.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

Which Peugeot is this?

1992 Peugeot 106 1.1 litre, 60 hp. Monopoint injection, no ABS. Front discs are 238mm. Bought it as a learner car for my then gf, has been kept around as a spare car for when anyone I know needs to borrow it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

That’s one way to keep people from asking to borrow your car. :P

It is, ironically in this case, very popular with people who actually drive it. Very good all-around view (by virtue of being as safe in a crash as a wet shoe box) making it incredibly easy to keep track of your corners when you jump back and forth between lanes channeling your inner frenchman, surprisingly peppy in town thanks to the gearing that also makes it very very unsuited for any longer highway drives.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, whoever dropped his screwdriver on the road that I drive to work, I found it. It's embedded in my fuel tank at the moment.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

I did a silly thing and bought the ratty rear end '65 Dodge Dart GT I mentioned in the Stupid Questions thread a while back. Slipping gearbox, engine that hasn't run in 20 years and mouldy interior with broken front seats. Pretty cheap for what it is and in comparison to what classic US cars go for here, but nothing like the $500 stuff you can find in the US. "Barnfind" in the sense that dude that sold me it got it and another old US classic off an old guy who had the GT stored in his garage since '99 after the transmission started slipping. Needs re-registering, but seller has documents for it, so shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a picture of the shitheap from when I looked at it:

Nice, welcome to the life of a V8 swede. Now let me tell you about "the Mopar tax". I have a 72 Plymouth and a 72 Chevy and the difference in prices for parts is sometimes bordering on the absurd.

Does it still have a 273 in there?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Someone will have to explain this to me because I can't for the life of me figure out how catalyst debris would end up in the intake?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Tomorrow is the day it goes in. Would be able to do first start this weekend but my header is still at the local powder shop for cerakote and the exhaust I bought from someone online is taking it sweet rear end time.

What is that on the rear of the block above the adapter plate? That looks like it would be a mega pain in the butt if it breaks while in the car.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BigPaddy posted:

it is running rich because I haven’t been able to drive it so it will self tune.

IME the self-tuning on these systems produces a driveable map, but nothing that can match an actual dyno tune.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On my Fiesta, Forscan could show if I was in gear or neutral. It didn't have any idea *what* gear tho.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ferremit posted:

I dont know why a car thats in Australia looks like one from the rustbelt?

:rubby:

Those look better than the ones on my mom's three year old Hyundai.

Salt. Salt never changes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's pretty normal here for people to take their new cars to shops which spray the undersides with undercarriage protection against rust, as well as all the cavities. They skipped that on my Mazda whoever owned it first. But it's highly recommended.

I have a friend who drove a 1984 opel kadet until last year, he was the 2nd owner and he had treated it religiously. Opels from that time are known as rust buckets but it had no rust, and it had achieved veteran car status, managed to sell it for a few hundred less than he bought it for. Insane, apparently it was in good enough shape for a collector be interested in it.

Ya, I'm in middle Sweden and I've had extra rust-proofing done on many cars through the years. Getting an Opel of any vintage to last that long without dying the brown death is impressive. It's still not super uncommon for people to call rust "opelsjukan" here (the Opel sickness).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Full Collapse posted:

:stare:

Who made this header?

OEMs can be just as bad. Look up the pre-cat debacle on the Audi B5 S4 for example. Supposedly gutting the pre-cats on the B6 and B7 is also a thing, but I don't know if that's just "more power bro" or something that'll actually cause damage like on the B5.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How in the gently caress do you even plug a bulb in backward?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chrisgt posted:

I usually just use cardboard when i have to work outside, so a rug seems much safer; those are designed to be flame retardant.

My go to is IKEA moving boxes, just split them in half and lay them out, also they're from cardboard a bit thicker than regular boxes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I had a real party of a day today.

82F out and no fan shroud and stuck behind a tractor for a long stretch made it start overheating. After I pulled over I had a massive brain fart and opened the radiator cap one notch before it cooled down, I have NO idea what I was thinking but at least I didn't get any burns.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

There was a film of oil inside the pipes and the most oil was to be found near the turbo, I fear the turbo might have it's better days behind it. I dunno if new turbos are easy to get, or if you try and have them refurbished or what have you.

A worn turbo will put oil in your intercooler, but even a completely healthy system will always have a little oil in there in my experience, the PCV can also be the cause. I don't know if your car has the Garrett T3 or the Mitsubishi TE05, but they're both common and easy to find (and/or get refurbished).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was more confused by the brass calipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Stopped by the guy fixing some rust on the El Camino, so *I* didn't do much except prepare to open my wallet.

Couple of days ago:

One of the before pictures: