Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oil change followed by a long overdue wash and wax. Discovered during the oil change that every single bolt holding on the under tray had rusted into one with its nut (all 8 of them), so it's permanently attached now. Had to dremel a trap door in it to get the filter out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Signed up for my first track day, at NJMP. I am so pumped.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DogDodger posted:

Which track and with which group?

NJMP, thunderbolt track. Going with team promotion.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Put together a camera mount for my upcoming track day.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Crustashio posted:

That's pretty clever. I usually just moved my passenger seat up/foward as far as it will go then stuff the camera in the headrest. Might have to copy that next year when I get a gopro.

That's exactly what I used to do, but the track organizers require it to be hard mounted in the car to pass tech.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Track day at NJMP today, my first. That was a god damned blast, and my car was about 100% more capable than I expected. So much damned fun.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Kotaru posted:

I have no interest in the 3sgte. The 1mzfe is lighter, smoother and drat near everyone does a 3sgte swap. 2300lb car with a big torquey v6 is lancia stratos level of awesome.

Hell yes. I've always loved the 1MZ in my girlfriend's 99 Camry. Smooth is definitely the word, and nice and torquey. Also, even with 120k on it, its the quietest freaking engine I've ever heard.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Noise Complaint posted:

Cleaned out a beater Cavalier I got for a couple hundred bucks and found a receipt for a Quaife LSD and install in the glovebox :stare:

Edit: yep, both wheels spin :psyduck:

Wow that's really....random. No other mods to the car?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Switched back to my summer tires/wheels, because fuckit, this is not winter anymore in the NE, and hasn't been for weeks. No sense in chewing up my snow tires and having shite handling.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Looks like a stitched together panorama.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Ok you get a pass. Sorry man for sperging out on you, but I detail cars as a part time gig while I go to school for my Network engineering degree, so I tend to sperg out. Maybe someday I will make a thread like PBCrunch except it would be just detailing different econobox's and the occasional higher end car.

Sounds pretty boring actually. :smith:

Sounds like an awesome thread to me

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

:toot:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dizman posted:

So this car has been having some issues lately (also please excuse the stupid instagram fuckery - I wanted to see what all the hype was about and now I know it's pretty dumb):

Someday PA will come up with inspection stickers that don't start peeling after 6 months

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dizman posted:

I am quite surprised you caught that. And yeah it looks like complete poo poo. The issue started a few years ago. Never did it before.

Yeah that's about when I started noticing it. Almost all cars that are parked outside start doing it sooner or later. I guess they changed the adhesive or something.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tremek posted:

... and then she was rear-ended two days later. Adjuster coming out to look at the car on Monday. :sigh:

Sucks. I bet the tow hitch did some damage though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Chinatown posted:

drat that looks nice.

Take a pressure washer to the rest and it will look great.

You couldn't get me within a mile of a decades old bimmer engine bay with a pressure washer

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man, I am the only one who HAS to wear gloves when working on cars? This picture makes my skin crawl.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

In other words, get dirty you sissy.

If it helps, the last time I changed my oil I got a face/hair full of hot, used oil when the filter dropped into the pan. It was all I could smell for the next day.

Still though, used oil has WAY too much nasty/potentially carcinogenic stuff going on for me to want it embedded in my skin/under my nails for any length of time.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Do you not have soap in your house?

Of course I do. I'm also admittedly a massive pussy :)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

shodanjr_gr posted:

Yeah i'm taking it in tomorrow...Does it make sense to go to the dealer or will Discount Tire do the same job for me? (it's a Pirelli PZero on a mustang for what it's worth). Also, how much would it cost? I've been driving for 7 years and I never had a flat...

To be honest, I'm not even sure the "gel" ever deployed from its canister...the tube is transparent and I didn't really see anything going through...

When you pulled the nail out did the tire deflate? If not, there's no way for the can to empty it's contents into the tire and re-enflate it, since it still had pressure.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bled my brakes, which I have needed to do since I nearly boiled them at a track day last year. Nice and firm pedal again.

Also, speed bleeders make it comically easy. Never doing it the old way again.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed my new Ultragauge. Put it above the rearview mirror, it tucks in perfectly. I wanted it to be out of view so I wouldn't have to worry about someone mistaking it for a GPS unit and breaking into my car (park in the city a lot). It is completely invisible outside the car thanks to the dark area at that spot of the windshield. Tucked the wire behind the headliner and down the A pillar, the only spot you see it is at the OBD port.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sponge! posted:

The :h: is so :3:

I had no idea what that thing was for until I read through the manual.

The Health indicator is a heart that beats roughly every second. As long as the heart continues to beat, UltraGauge is functioning normally.

Hilarious. Like, it couldn't just throw up an error message or something? I needs a beating heart?

Otherwise, I love this thing. Endlessly customizable with almost too many options. Dozens of gauges to choose from. Extremely affordable compared to the alternatives too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Headlight restore kit talk reminded me, on my new car the clear lens over the instrument cluster has what looks like water spots, they aren't cleaning off with any kind of mild cleaner I've tried so far, I'm afraid anything more heavy duty would haze it over. I have a headlight restore kit left over after using it on another car, think it would damage that lens? I'm guessing someone sprayed armor-all or something equally awful on it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

New pads and rotors all around, and flushed all the brake fluid in the Miata.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Washed and changed my oil in preparation of a 1500 mile road trip to Deals Gap. Also figured out why my brake light was flickering under hard cornering, I was low on fluid due to a leaky bleeder. Tightened it up and topped off the fluid, and also discovered during washing that the fluid that slung out onto the wheel and combined with brake dust created some impossibly difficult staining on that wheel. Managed to get most of it off with elbow grease, may look into a specialty wheel cleaner though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Alternatively, my MS3 had a clunk develop back there and it was literally a loose nut holding in the endlink. I think I may need to replace the endlinks eventually though, and if I do I'm using the Moog parts so I can use a socket instead of a goddamned crow's foot to torque it.

Yeah I had the same issue w/ mine, it's pretty common.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Not mine, but in the girlfriend's car did oil change and bled the brakes. We had done the brake fluid years back, but never got it quite right and have had a spongy pedal since. Did it again with speed bleeders, got a bunch of air out and the pedal is nice and firm now. Third car I've used them on, I can't recommend them enough.

Also, she did nearly all the work this time, other than me breaking loose the really stuck stuff. :3:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Larrymer posted:

needed fixed

Michigan :argh:

I'll say. I thought this was exclusively a central PA thing.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kastein posted:

Sure makes it easier to reverse their work, too, just pull the fuse, remove the wire, reinstall fuse!

You'd think but...ok, when I was 16-17 I made a few questionable automotive modification decisions, one of which may have been identical to the "wire wrapped around a fuse and jammed in" photo above. Anyway, when I came to my senses and redid the wiring properly, turns out the fuse socket got stretched apart too much, because without the wire th fuse would fit too loosely and not make contact. So I had to chop the wire and leave it.

Sorry, new owner kid, but I may not have been the best PO.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Picked it up yesterday, got home today! 02 Suzuka Blue AP1 with 58 (now 59..) thou

Awesome car, but whenever I see that blue interior all I can think of is the interior of the Mercury Mystique, since I test drove one when I was 16 (thank christ I didn't buy it)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

While you're messing with the seats you may want to change the bolts out for a security set.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Voltage posted:

Did the front brakes, and 3 out of 4 shocks/springs on my 2001 Prizm. I absolutely love quick struts, no spring compressor needed, just 5 bolts and you're done.

...However, I live in the northeast and every bolt on it is completely hosed and needs 24 hours of PB blaster to even consider breaking loose. Me and my stronger friend were able to get 3 done, but I stripped an alan key bolt for the rear left swaybar end link. Not my pic but its this right here:

I am going to try again today and hammer in a slightly larger alan key. It was a loving complete bitch on the other side but I did do it. If all else fails I will get a new end link, but I don't know how I am going to rip it off though...

Lesson learned, always fly south to buy cars, the cost of the flight/drive back will be paid off tenfold from the lack of rust.
My arms are covered in bruises.

If you end up getting a new endlink, just clamp a vice grip on the back of the old one, right over the boot. Worked great for me when I ran into the same issue.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Voltage posted:

So just clamp the endlink so I don't need to use the alan key? I don't care about spending $20 for a new endlink so if this would work I will try it...

Yup, then use the vice grip to hold it in place while you loosen the nut. Make sure you clamp over the boot, if you clamp the endlink further out it'll just spin. If clearance is tight needle nose vice grips may be needed

e: clamp right around here:

opengl fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 11, 2013

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BiRD BoY posted:

Brought summer back. Probably too soon.

I forgot what responsiveness feels like!

Haha same here on my MS3. Couldn't take the mushy snow tires any longer though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah anything I get off Amazon I verify the part numbers somewhere else first. They're great about lots of stuff, but automotive applications isn't one of them.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

10000lbsofbananas posted:

Clayed, washed, waxed, removed aftermarket midpipe and put on the stock pipe, new spark plugs, new rubber, and 20mm spacers.

I'm suspecting a clogged catalyst due to loss of power > 8K RPM. Noticed the catalyst glows at night after a 15 minute drive. Visually it looked fine.Took it to the stealership today to have it looked at but they concluded it's within spec. I don't think they even tried. This might be a headache moving forward.

The R3 wheels are perfection.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sweet merciful gently caress, get some videos!

And if you ever find yourself in PA I've got a case of beer with your name on it for a ride.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

How many PA goons do we have in AI? Every time I think it's just me and Dreesemonkey someone else pops up. Where in PA?

In and around Philly usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Replaced the idle air control valve on the Miata to resolve the high idle when warm issue. It has been getting worse lately, idling as high as 2500rpm when really hot. Also cleaned the throttle body while I had it off. Solved the idle problem, but the throttle seems to be sticking just before closing now, as it idles normally until I give it any gas then it settles back around 1300rpm until I tug on the back of the gas pedal and it drops to normal. Probably got some gunk stuck in there when cleaning it, I'll give it another go. Also replaced the plugs since I had new ones, though the old ones all looked great.