Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

tobu posted:

I didn't do it... but a 17 year old driving too fast in the wet locked it up, spun it round and backed into me:

And as added icing... "Uhh, I dont think I am insured?"

Oh for gently caress's sake. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I wish other people would stop trashing our people's poo poo... :(

In other news I took this old fart for an MOT to see what it's like underneath. I knew the exhaust was shot to poo poo and blowing more than a $10 hooker so was going to fail on that but I wanted to see underneath and how it all looked. Dude testing it was quite surprised to see that it was in good condition considering it's 28 years old at this point. Only a few niggly bits really. Need a new exhaust centre/back and 2 new tyres as the car's been sat for years and they've started to perish.

Not bad for an old girl. :allears:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 11, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MasonF posted:

Did an oil change on her today, then she's going on the market. After she's sold, I'll only own 3 Toyotas! (And a Ford.)

What on earth is this?! :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Had a new exhaust delivered. Took the old exhaust off. New exhaust doesn't fit. Ran engine without exhaust system briefly and it sounds like the depths of hell. Hilariously loud.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If I thought I could ever get away with it, I would. I'd also be deaf within 15 minutes but whatever...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^^ That's real nice. My stupid loud exhaust needs a custom front section made up as on 28yr old cars there's not much choice. Had a front section delivered and it's completely wrong. So today I installed the new rear section which is all good and hacked the old front off as it was chemically welded straight through to the rear piece. That's now fitted so I can get to the dude welding it without making everyone within 30m instantly deaf. Hopefully they're open tomorrow and can take a look. I reckon it'll need a fairly hefty silencer as the new rear/middle section is pretty much straight through...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Replaced a seized brake caliper. It went far too easily which has me wondering what remarkably easy job I need to do next will become a war of attrition.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tobu posted:

Update on where I am with my ride and a word of warning to anyone thinking of getting JDM import - The repair here has been quoted at $6700 AUD plus a $850 cash settlement to me because no replacement spoiler is available. That's more than half the worth of the car so thank gently caress I'm not paying.

Didn't the guy's mother say she'd pay for the repair? I bet she'll regret that. gently caress.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tobu posted:

I called that off and decided I needed to get my insurance involved because even well-off people would struggle to come up with that sort of cash.

Makes sense, I could see things going tits up when shown a number like that.

Today I taxed the car, so after 3 years off the road it's now legit and good to go. Now to go brim the tank and go drive.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's real pretty!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MasonF posted:

Sold one of my rides today. :(

Means I can focus more on the MR2s and Supra though, so that's good.

May I ask what such beauty sells for these days? :o

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oil change, oil filter and fitted a Fumoto quick release valve because I could. Winner.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

What model is it?

Celica liftback. 77-79.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 30, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ferremit posted:

We've got them on the honda pump motors on our smaller fire vehicles.

All bar one leaks. Dunno if the vibrations on the GX160 motors have anything to do with it but they're all less than 5yrs old and all have pools of oil under them,

Well if it last anywhere near 5 years I won't complain considering it was $20.

Got some new rotors and pads for the front and popped those on yesterday. Then noticed my clutch master cylinder is leaking. Job for next week then when I can source a replacement.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Installed a new clutch master on a 1990 Mini. Ridiculously difficult. It's right on top but EVERYTHING ELSE is in the way of any access for spanners or sockets. Also the design of the loving master is such that the reservoir is placed directly over the loving mounting point making it even worse. Hateful little shitboxes.

So that took HOURS longer than it should have. I went for a drive in anger afterwards and then noticed a noise coming from my brakes so I pulled onto the drive and within minutes had that sorted. That's the way it should be with all problems but no, the Mini is awful for wrenching on because everything is on top of everything else in a compartment the size of a kitchen sink. Needs a radiator replacement next and I've already had to go out and buy a stupidly long (like half a metre stupid) screwdriver in order to undo ONE screw which is right at the bottom of the radiator but only accessible from the top.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Raced it legally on the ringroad circuit a mile from my house multiple times under the pretence it was part of a Motofest parade lap (x5) that just ended up with friends and myself being allowed to fang it. Police were in attendance too, it was pretty great!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Inboard brakes?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Elsa posted:

If I'm off the hook I want to add that the wheels clash with the Thule carrier. It reminds me of women wearing perfect make-up and yoga pants just for the sporty look.

You're wrong but it's ok. :cheers:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Elsa posted:

hey I found the other Thule vanity rack haver

My car is impossible to fit a rack to. :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I just looked at it in annoyance. Head's at an engineering place getting skimmed ready for a nice metal head gasket. Need to strip the bottom and see what's what.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I didn't do it personally but I picked this up today from a very nice man with a whole bunch of metal munching machinery.

It is SO less lovely than how I left it with him. He's machined it perfectly flat, done a complete valve job on it and shimmed it all up.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

meatpimp posted:

That's really pretty. Good choice in machinists!

I asked a group of car dorks who was great locally and this guy's name was mentioned by someone I trust. It's a very oldschool place, completely shabby on the outside, cracked window, bunch of old crap in the front...

Inside was floor to ceiling machinery and engine bits as far as the eye could see. Definitely a good bloke who will no doubt get more money in the future from me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

What market is that car from? The headlights look absolutely nothing like the ones we got (US). For that matter, the US market one is a lot more... subdued.

IIRC the US market ST got the same headlights as the regular Focus models, except with part of the housing blacked out. But I don't think we got it until 2002? either.

The Fiesta got the same lights as the Focus?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's a Fiesta? :doh:

I did wonder is the US market had done some crazy parts bin type poo poo for their cars :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The mk2:

quote:

Manufacturer
Ford Europe

Production
1983–1989

Assembly
Almussafes, Spain (Ford Valencia)
Dagenham, United Kingdom (Ford Dagenham)
Cologne, Germany (CB&A)
Saarlouis, Germany (SB&A)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Godfuckingdamnit. Yes I am. I'm a loving idiot.

I've been awake way too long.

go2sleep

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Top class bodging! In the profile shot do the pipes stop under the passenger compartment??

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

What is that? ^^^

I installed new shifter/socket bushings in my w58 to stop the ridiculous slop caused by the previous set disintegrating. Leaving the epoxy to set overnight on the socket bushing and I'll reassemble it tomorrow after work. ...which will be fun because the clocks went back an hour meaning it'll start getting dark about 6pm now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Root Bear posted:

I'm now trying to decide what novelty gimmick shifter knob to go with first. It's not as easy as I thought... :shepspends:

Here, I'll help you out a little:

https://www.instagram.com/mr__grip/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Crustashio posted:

On the other hand, I love the accord aerodeck. It's like honda decided they need to make a stretch EF hatchback, but with popups.

Aerodeck is cool as gently caress and I will fight anyone suggesting otherwise.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dagen H posted:

T-boned a woman in a Mercedes who ran a red light.

:rip: sweet Teg

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Raikyn posted:

Now I'm starting to do the seats

Here is my messy garage

I never used to like these but now I like them a lot, the rear lights are so good. How long have you had it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Raikyn posted:

It's a 1989 car, I've had it for about 10-12 years.
It's my 2nd 300zx, I had a nice shiny red one before this but it had an unfortunate demise in a workplace accident.

PIC_0004 by Marc, on Flickr

Aw man. I saw one last week on the way to work, I let him out of a side road and just followed him, two 80s Japanese sports cars just rolling to work... :3:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I put some '150% brighter' bulbs in my headlights last night, in the dark using a nice new LED lamp thing I bought. The car's got pop up lights and all the notes I've seen on how to do it talk about removing the actual light itself. The screws that hold mine in are fairly knackered so I soaked them in penetrating oil and then just unscrewed the cover from the top of them. Luckily the casing has a gap and I was able to unhook the wiring and pull the bulb out from there.

Jobs that take less time than you've planned are rare. And now I can actually see where I'm driving at night!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Expect the bulbs to last only a couple of years, at best. All of the high output bulbs I've put in last 1-2 years; I'm right at 2 years on the Phillips Xtreme Visions I have, and one of them now has to be smacked to get it to light up if it's been sitting overnight. Guessing the filament is broken and hitting it causes it to weld back together for a bit.

I pulled the original bulbs from 2005 out to put these in. :stare: They still worked, but were dim as gently caress and the glass was fairly blackened.

The extra light is worth it though.

Considering it's not a daily I'm cool with them going out in a blaze of glory in a few year's time, particularly when the previous bulbs were so dim and yellow I could barely see at night!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I love it. Needs the wheels tucking though.

:agreed:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Weirdly I too need hose clamps that aren't poo poo. The ones that came with my lolChina hose kit are pap and I have a slowwwww leak that I'd like to stop.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

RillAkBea posted:

You probably should be. I had a little accident with some suicide sticks when I was testing them out. Somehow nothing hit anything expensive but the spring put a pretty interesting dent in the floor.

I've looked through every supplier and catalog in Japan and all I can find here are suicide sticks or those expensive hydraulic pillar arrangements, I think next time I have to mess with springs I'll just order a set of those jaws from overseas.The hit on shipping will probably be worth it.

Copy this dude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnz65M4OYys

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The first time I saw that I thought he did. Wouldn't take too much engineering to make it safer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Replaced the OEM plugs and wires on the Prelude today. The plugs were dry and just lightly grey, with no wearing on the electrodes. Neither the plugs nor the wires really needed to be replaced but they were 20 years old. Every time I do any routine maintenance on this car I wonder why I'm even doing it if everything looks so new on it all the time.

Preludes all seem to be bombproof, my friend's 89 has only required a spot of welding and an alternator. Outside of your usual services it's needed nothing.