Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Last weekend I replaced a bunch of missing bulbs in my instrument cluster, and found out that the PO had replaced the whole cluster in 2002, and for whatever reason he didn't replace the oil pressure light. And I don't have a gauge. So For 34,000 miles I haven't had an oil pressure warning of any kind.

This weekend, if I get around to it, new front pads/rotors and a brake fluid flush. And motor mounts if I'm feeling saucy, but I suspect I'll put those off for a little bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the odometer gears in my wife's '97 Volvo 850 on Saturday. The smaller one was broken but I replaced them both since supposedly the larger one WILL break if you don't replace it.

They really weren't hard to get to at all, but I did have to run to harbor freight and pick up a T-7 mini torx bit. The smallest I had was a T-8. drat swedes :argh:

Next weekend is the full tune-up since all the parts I ordered will finally get here by then.

I also washed and claybarred the Volvo, but the paint's so bad on it I don't know why I did.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wintermuteCF posted:

I bought a new cabin air filter. Opened up the filter box behind the glovebox and find there was no cabin air filter installed at the time. So I now have a cabin air filter, whereas previously I was running without a filter at all.

Also washed my car, only to have it rain four hours later.

Friend of mine found out Jiffy Lube charged him for an engine air filter and never put one in. So he's been driving around with no air filter for six months.

Serves him right for going there I suppose.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well I got a head start on the Volvo's tuneup today since it stopped raining for an hour and I had nothing else to do.

Replaced the air filter:

Replaced the cabin filter:

Replaced the drive belt :psyduck: (yes that is a chunk missing, and it was cracked all the way around like you see. Suprised it was still in one piece, honestly).

Replaced the headlight wipers
Put my wife's german plate on the front
Noted that I still get a racket from the belt area, need to look more into it. Hopefully its just the tensioner or the idler. I'll need to get in there with my stethoscope.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
...and today, I did leg two of my Volvo tune-up! All new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. All plugs properly gapped and torqued down. Noticeable difference.

yaaaaay

Next up, oil/oil filter and fuel filter change, and the whenever-I-have-a-feww-hour tune up is complete!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Today I replaced the four backlights in my E36 OBC. The outer two were burnt out. I have a clock again!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Installed my new blower final stage unit. Took maybe 15 minutes.

old on left, new on right.

My blower works now! All 8-10ish speeds!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Removed the ABS module from the wife's Volvo and sent it in to get repaired. Good thing I bought that E-5 torx socket!

I've been busy lately!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't my ride, but I replaced all six spark plugs in my buddy's '97 Sable. The back ones were a pain, but luckily I have a bunch of extensions and a flexible ratchet. What pissed me off was the rubber coming out of my spark plug socket :mad: good thing I had a spare! Took about an hour, which was longer than it should have but I hosed with one plug for 10 minutes before I noticed my socket was broke.

also, :wtf: at that Celebrity battery location

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just got my ABS controller back from Victor Rocha's repair service, and installed it.

ABS and TRAC work now, as does the speedometer (that didnt work only because I had the unit pulled). All is well.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well on Saturday I got the tires balanced, and on Sunday I replaced some of the broken door lights with good ones I picked up at the junkyard.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey, he's got a proper engine and transmission in there, he could paint it with pink penises and it'll still be more of a car than I usually see here in Indiana.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced my Volvo's fog light bulb, only to find out the fog light still does not work. Time to search the wiring. Boo!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
eh, over the weekend I changed the oil in my brother's Accord (gently caress their oil filter placement!) and got a free pair of jeans out of it, and then I changed the oil and cabin filter in my sister-in-law's Bonneville. I didn't get anything special for that.

One of these days I'll get to do something to my own car :argh:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Tried to determine why my passenger side fog light won't work. I get voltage at the plug, I think one of the socket terminals is too corroded. I couldn't clean enough off to get a good connection. Yes I replaced the bulb.

I also plugged a mystery harness back in (I think its for the headlight wiper, but it still doesn't work).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I washed my car. I was going to claybar and wax it, but suddenly it started pouring. It'll have to wait for another day.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced the oil separator and flame trap today. Well, I would have replaced the flame trap if I had one to begin with...

After disconnecting the battery, I removed the intake and accelerator stuff. The Haynes manual said to remove the accelerator cable and adjust it after putting it back on, but I just unbolted the whole thing and set it aside.

Then I removed the fuel rail and all the injectors and set it aside carefully so I wouldn't damage the injector tips.

This is what a typical injector looked like. I only see one O-ring. Is this normal?

And this is a typical injector hole...

Then came off the throttle...

The intake manifold was kind of a bitch to get off. The bolts weren't very easy to get to, and there were a hundred vacuum tubes everywhere, but it eventually came off.

There's the new guy now! (Notice how I broke the long horizontal tube... oops! Its duct-taped together now, I hope it holds. I don't want to take the manifold back off to replace it!)

Installation was the reverse of removal, though I put in a new manifold gasket. I used the PCV kit from IPD so a lot of the hoses and clamps were replaced. The flame trap housing and O-ring was replaced, and I found out that my flame trap was missing entirely. :confused: There was just nothing there.

This is where it would have been...

This all took me five hours, and I need an oil change now (doing it first thing in the morning - I kind of ran out of daylight today).

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 11, 2009

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Changed the oil, oil filter, and filler cap gasket on the Volvo. Also put the wife's beloved 'prancing moose' sticker on the front. :coal:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Zero posted:

Getting ready to do a whole bunch of work. Got 4 new shocks and front brake pads for the Jeep, got front brake pads for the wife's car, and a hand pump to change the differential oil.

Then all I did was put in new front marker lights. :haw:

However, I also did this:

Turned your turn signal on? :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sbyers77 posted:

Crawled under the car to pull out a big sheet of plastic packaging film that I picked up while driving on the highway last night. It got stuck and subsequently melted to the catalytic converter, so as I was driving today it smelled like burning plastic until the remnants burned off completely.

I ran over a plastic grocery bag in the spring, and I smelled that poo poo for months.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Changed my oil, and tightened a screw that had come loose from my exhaust heat shield. So that's what that rattle was!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well, the Volvo dealership couldn't (and cannot) get me the right part to fix my broken evap breather tube, so I took off the fuel rail and intake manifold, and then it got dark.

So, today was a failure. I'll be fixing the tube myself (yay random hose that fits plus two hose clamps) and it will be working tomorrow or else.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KelvereseAysen posted:

headlight fluid to buy. I had to guess.

synthetic, duh. The stuff made from melted sunbeams and with a 90% photon density.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well, I finished fixing the Volvo and put it back together, and then fixed the stupid vacuum leak I had on startup. Now the wife can be less mad at me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Last weekend I jumped a friends car and checked the battery/alternator. Yesterday I ordered new ignition coil for the Volvo. $128 was the cheapest I could find. :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hedge posted:

Cleaned up the headlights using 3M's restoration kit.

Before:

After:

That looks fantastic. Link to the kit you used? My car has the same problem, and I've never been able to get them cleaned good.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

God drat, you ain't kidding! I think I'll throw that in with some Christmas stuff this month. A gift for my car, if you will.

I actually bought a second set of lights from someone ($40) because the first ones were so bad... I wonder if I can clean those and sell them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced the ignition coil on our Volvo. Dead simple.

Old and busted (and misfire-happy) on the left, new and suave on the right.

Oh hello there! New one works great. No more CEL!

What sucks is, every online retailer had two: Bosch and OEM Volvo. The Bosch one was usually $105, while the Volvo one was $128-$150. I called and nobody had the Bosch, so I ordered the cheapest Volvo one I could find (RMeuropean). I get it, its in a nice Volvo box, but the part is Bosch because they're the supplier. So I paid $23 for a Volvo box. :argh:

I also picked up a key for myself for said Volvo, and washed and waxed my E36.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I waxed my car last Sunday, and today I white lithium greased all the door hinges on both cars. I also wiped all the door seals with the stuff so hopefully they don't freeze shut this winter.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Added some ATF to my power steering reservoir. It was pretty low. I thought my tie rods were loose, but I guess the play they have is what they're supposed to have. I replaced them in the spring.

ATF in the power steering, ATF in the manual gearbox... E36s are weird as hell sometimes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced a burnt-out low beam bulb. I'd like to take a moment to thank BMW, for not only alerting me to the failed bulb on my onboard computer, but also making sure it would take longer to open the bulb packaging that to actually replace the bulb.

I helped clean out my grandfather's Ford Five Hundred as well, since its going up for sale. The interior is actually a disaster and will need professional cleaning. It looks like someone spilled a coke in there years ago and never cleaned it up. I'm pretty sure there was mold in that stain as well. The smell was pretty bad.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced my driver's side turn signal bulb. Apparently my bulbs hate cold weather.

Also, Mr.Peabody, that is one loving hot steering wheel.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My battery had a hell of a time starting my car this morning (it was 5° F on my way in to work this morning) so I load-tested the battery at work and it failed pretty badly. It was at 11.99V after sitting in my car for three hours so I figured it wasn't holding a charge very well.

I swapped in a spare we had at work (which tests fine), and will probably replace my own battery this weekend.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced my 'borrowed battery' from work with a new one from Autozone. It actually came with the vent hosing, but the stuff wasn't hooked up to my current battery and I have no idea where it goes anyway, so I'll probably leave it off.

700 CCA @ 0°F :smug:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Nothing to MY ride today, but I did replace the spark plug in my dad's snowblower. It's kind of an amusing take. My father is completely inept when it comes to any form of mechanical skills.

He calls me: "Can you come over, I've been trying to get this spark plug out for 45 minutes! I broke the end off. I'm using pliers."

:psyduck:

I go over there, get my tools out of my toolbox which I keep in his garage and by the time he has his jacket on and come out to the garage, I'm done. Old one out, new one gapped and installed.

pliers. :psyduck:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sponge! posted:

No, no, no, pop the hood and slide it down between the body and the radiator. Those little bits ont he grille won't do poo poo... :-/

It makes the car look :unsmith: though!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Added coolant to my reservoir, it was a bit low. I always seem to go through coolant at a quicker pace in winter. Anybody know why? Not a lot, maybe 8oz a month or so. It's not going into my oil as far as I know.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sponge! posted:

Pinhole in the heater core maybe? If you have to fill the overflow bottle, you should pop the rad cap and top it up too, it's usually low if the overflow is below or at the "min" mark.

My overflow tank filler (what gets low) and my radiator cap are one and the same. (Not my pictures)

I haven't seen any leaks anywhere... odd... could it be seeming into the crankcase at extremely cold temperatures only to evaporate when the engine hits operating temperature?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Black88GTA posted:

Another vote for looking at the heater core. Does your heat smell like coolant at all? For something a little more accessible to check, you could also take a look at the small-diameter hose running from the top of the tank under the plastic cover to the radiator. These can sometimes develop little pinholes, but you'll never see them because the entire hose is hidden and the leak isn't big enough to spill out and become visible. This is an issue that sometimes crops up with the 8 series, but it looks like your car uses the same expansion tank setup (assumably with the same hidden hose).

One thing you may definitely want to do as PM - if your expansion tank is yellowish semi-translucent plastic (as the one in the pic appears), there is an updated one (black) available from BMW for about $100. Seems that the yellowish one likes to violently explode without warning once it gets a few years on it. Not a good thing for an aluminum (or any) engine to instantly lose its cooling system on the expressway - which is where this is most likely to happen, since that is when the engine is generating the most heat and your cooling system is working the hardest. If it goes at a bad time, you have an excellent chance of cooking your motor before you even realize something's wrong.

The expansion tank was replaced just last year. My heater doesn't smell like coolant but I'll poke around and look for any coolant buildup anywhere. I'll also check the hoses and stuff, though all the hoses were also replaced last year. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PBCrunch posted:

They ended up getting a 1999 Nissan Maxima GXE five-speed with about 170k miles on it for $2200. The car has aftermarket wheels and a Fidanza flywheel. The previous owner was a very meticulous type, a pharmacist by trade. The car is very clean and the drivetrain is strong.

Man that sounds like a deal. I was trying to get my wife to look at Maxima 5-speeds when we were car-shopping earlier this year but they were hard to find in good condition and she didn't like the look anyway.

That VQ should run until the end of time. And awhile after that I would imagine.