Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Put more coolant in. I hope this doesn't turn into a weekly occurrence. I've been looking for leaks but haven't found anything obvious yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Reset the CEL in the wife's Volvo. It's running rich (P0172 code). +25% STFT. Not sure why.

The CEL didn't come back on immediately, but it will. I'm fairly certain of it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Drove the five hundred I'm selling around the block a few times, and febreezed the interior and replaced the floormats. added a new-car-smell air freshener. yay!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Me too!

Today I sold somebody else's car for $1,500 over KBB and made a $750 commission off of it. And I don't even work at a used car lot!

Not technically my ride, though I was caring for it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Reset the P0300 random misfire CEL in the Volvo. Not sure what that's about.

Also replaced that missing center cap.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced the taillight bulb in my friend's '05 Altima. Seriously, you need tools. You can't do it without a flathead screwdriver and a deep-well 8mm socket. Pliers help, too.

It was pretty easy, but still, you shouldn't need tools to replace a headlight or taillight bulb.

Man, my car it takes longer to open the packaging than to replace the bulb, and no tools required. Are all new cars like that?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
cleared another P0172 running rich code. I hope its nothing :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Changed my oil and oil filter. Hopefully the Synthetic 5W40 I put in there keeps my idle oil pressure up. The 5W30 was making my oil light flicker when it was really warm out.

Lookin' good so far.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well, I was going to replace my oil pressure sensor on my '97 BMW 328i, but I need a 15/16" deep well socket. I had bought one, but the only one I could find was 1/2" drive and it was too deep. I tried using a box wrench but couldn't get it on good enough.

I did notice a slice in the wire, which I taped up.

The problem is, last spring I replaced my odometer backlights, and while I had my cluster out I noticed my oil pressure light was missing. Presumably the PO took it out. I put a new one in, and found out that when it's warm out and the engine is warm and idling, I'll every once in awhile have a flickering oil pressure light. It's not nearly as bad when I use 5W40 oil but with 5W30 anything above 50°F would cause it to come on whenever I was stopped.

Normally I would have flipped the gently caress out, but since it was missing for over a year and a half, I assumed that it was the switch and the PO had removed it so he could sell the car. It's been a year later and the car still runs fine.

The sensor was $5, but since I couldn't replace it, I still have the old one on there. I couldn't get my light to flicker on the way home, though, so maybe it was a loose connection. We'll see. If I do replace the sensor and still have the same problem, well, I'll probably have to take it in to get it looked at. I know it's not the dreaded oil pump nut, because if the pump stopped working I'd be properly hosed and it wouldn't matter what RPM I was running at.

(I've also considered that I'm just idling too low, and I need to clean my ICV sometime... I can usually make it flicker by applying electrical load, like rolling the windows up.)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
- reset the P0172 on the volvo AGAIN
- topped off the Volvo's oil
- failed at replacing the control arms on my BMW (see post in BMW thread goddammit)
- inspected drivetrain guibo and steering guibo, satisfied with both.

overall a lame day. :mad:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I proved that I am completely incompetent when it comes to suspension work, and broke my car to the point where I have to have it towed to a shop and fixed by real mechanics. The full story is in the BMW thread.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Got my E36 back from a real mechanic yesterday, now with all new control arms, inner/outer balljoints, LCABs, and end links. The car feels incredibly different.

They also did a complimentary inspection, and basically told me everything that was wrong with my car :smith: granted I already knew about every single issue (except the wiper fluid sensor, but they were wrong, it was just low :lol: ) but still it hurts seeing it confirmed.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey! Hey guys! Wanna see something gross?! I flushed my power steering fluid! (Crosspost from the BMW thread)

Old PS fluid comes out

New fluid goes in

(repeat about six times after starting car and turning wheel a few times...)

:barf:

I used all three quarts that I bought, and the fluid was looking better but still not red. It was more purply. So I might do it again in a month or so.

I'm thinking that was the original fluid, after 13 years and 182k miles. My god.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ExecuDork posted:

Your power steering system uses ATF?

Yes. So does my manual transmission. Freaked me out when I first saw it, too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Changed the oil in my brother's car. His car takes only the finest motor oils:

Didn't have a useable funnel, had to improvise

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Grashnak posted:

I got my car back from the repairers earlier in the week so I spent a total of about 6 hours over the weekend giving it a proper clean. It almost looks brand new now except for all the rock chips in the paint work.

Before:

After:

Now you can barely even see a difference between the old and new paint. I'm honestly rather amazed that 19 year old red paint has come up so well.

God drat I'm getting hot and bothered looking at your car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
new diff fluid, woo!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Plugged the damned flat tire in the Volvo. Also learned to use the retarded aftermarket scissor jack the PO left in the trunk.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I turned this:

into this:

Using this:

I also used it to glue a trim piece on the Volvo back into place. It's the fabric on the inside of the door. I hope it holds up through repeated door openings/closings, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I used the 3M headlight restoration kit:

Holy crap this stuff works. I can hardly believe it - my headlights look brand loving new. I can't wait to try them out at night!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

VideoTapir posted:

What makes this better than any old plastic polish?

I don't know about most polishes but this came with a bunch of different sanding pads as well as polish.

The kit's only $9.00 on amazon though and is comes with coarse, fine and a super-fine sanding pad, a foam polisher and rubbing compound. Plus the sander wheel thing. I think it's a pretty good deal. Whole process took about a half hour on my car.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 17, 2010

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
New wiper blades on the Volvo. Woo. Exciting stuff I'm telling you.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
As I posted in the BMW thread, I replaced my E36 aux fan.

Now I don't have to worry about damaging my compressor when I use my A/C.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

nurrwick posted:

Your car looks extremely happy to me without the bumper assembly.

Better airflow, less weight, why wouldn't it be happier? :)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Robawesome posted:

Honest question as I'm not familiar with Bimmers, but holy poo poo is that new aux fan a lot bigger than stock? that thing is HUGE

Actually that's the old one. The new one looks identical but is much blacker (and has a big VDO sticker in the corner). It's a 16" fan enclosed in a giant shroud. It's not even the primary engine cooling fan (that one's mechanical). It's for when the mechanical fan can't cool the engine enough and for whenever the A/C is running.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wav3form posted:

That driver's side wheel not being centered on the ramp kinda bugs me a little. I'd be paranoid of that ramp flipping over even though I know it wouldn't.

I know, I don't think it was as bad as it looks in the picture because I didn't even notice it when it was on the ramps.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Coasterphreak posted:

So is the main relay the reason why my Accord has been taking 10 seconds of cranking to start after sitting in the sun all day?

I'm wondering if this is my brother's problem as well. He has a '98 Accord, and his car randomly dies sometimes and we haven't been able to figure out why. I do know that when turning his ignition on, sometimes it clicks very rapidly before switching on. Thoughts?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Highest Cactus posted:

replaced my serpentine belt

AKA, baby's first car project.

:hfive: that's one of my favorite things to do. Something about looping the belt around all the accessories just so is just kind of fun.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Spent a small fortune changing the oil in the Volvo and the BMW today.

Yeeeaaahhhh..... my haul from Autozone. They probably thought I was nuts. I used all but one quart between the two cars.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ferremit posted:

Some of you guy should SERIOUSLY look into buying oil in bulk if your using that much at a time!

That's the first time I ended up doing both cars at the same time. They were different weights, too.

Plus, I have nowhere to put a drum of oil, as awesome as that sounds like it would be.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Bojanglesworth posted:

Not my car, but today I painted the rims on my friends car:

That guy has the absolute worst plates on his car.

edit: cleaned out both trunks today. bout drat time I got around to doing that.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 16, 2010

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

Ive been removing the tint, since when I bought it it was already bubbling and turned purple. Shops want $129 for new tint, but they want almost the same to take it off, so I just decided to take it off myself. Its a bitch, but gently caress paying $125 for them to do it.

Ill try to take a middle, and after pic tomorrow.

I never thought I'd say this about that car, but I think your car looks good.

Jesus whats happening to me. Must be the cleanliness and the contrast between it and all the rusted out ones around here...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the front pads and rotors on my sister-in-law's Bonneville SSEi. Took four hours because I kept going inside to cool off and get hydrated and I still loving got heat stroke. Threw up all the food I had eaten and had a splitting headache for hours. I had wanted to do the rears too but I'll do them next weekend.

Every bolt and rotor was rusted on, and the inside pad on the pass side was down past the backing plate (probably the grinding she heard).

Crispulus posted:

Put ten drunks in a '84 245t+i.

You are my hero.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Installed a new CB antenna to replace my crappy $10 walmart one. Also I checked some SWRzzz before going to an open field to calibrate the antenna.

Don't mind me, just driving around with a giant antenna!

You are also my hero. Although the term 'MATLAB' gives me many a nightmare.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the Volvo's wiper motor assembly with a used (but working!) one I found for $50 shipped.

I had help putting it in, too!

Easy as hell on this car, took a half hour tops.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Fixed my auxiliary fan again. I replaced it two months ago and it was working, then it suddenly stopped working.

Turns out some plastic had somehow gotten onto one of the plug terminals and melted in place, cutting off power to the fan. :psyduck: I'm assuming it's a plastic piece left over from the manufacturing process that vibrated into place somehow. It works now, though!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the rear brake pads and shoes in my sister-in-law's Bonneville SSEi today. I did the fronts a couple of weeks ago.

I opened her hood to get to the brake fluid reservoir and noticed the supercharger is without a belt. In fact, the belt was missing.

Found the belt under everything, completely slipped off, and then I saw why: the idler had siezed and thrown the belt. Here is the remainder of the pulley:

So tomorrow I'll probably be replacing both belts plus that idler. Assuming NAPA or Autozone has the parts in stock.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the remainder of that idler pulley (which was tightened down to a million foot-pounds) and the supercharger belt on my sister-in-law's SSEi. I wanted to replace the main serp belt (and took it off even) but O'reilly's gave my sister-in-law the wrong belt so I had to reuse the one that was on there. It looked OK though, no cracking or anything, but it'll need to be replaced far sooner than the new supercharger belt so meh.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Did she say if the car seemed to be lacking power?

Actually, no. She said she heard some 'funny noises' at some point during the week but didn't notice a lack of power. She only drives in the city, though, and rarely drives quickly enough where she would notice.

She's never changed the oil in the supercharger to my knowledge so for all I know it's barely pressurizing anyway. :(

edit for better photos:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 30, 2010

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think I got one at my local Meijer for under $5. Worked fine for gear oil, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Timage posted:

Today (and the previous few days) was spent overhauling the sound system in my Stagea. All Pioneer including 7" front splits, 6" rears, Mono-block Amp, 12" Slim-Sub and in-dash GPS head-unit. The main reason for changing anything was that the previous head-unit didn't charge my iPhone. After that I got a little carried away.

I just wanted to say that's a really nice looking head unit, it looks very stock.