Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hell yeah! One of my friends had a 90 sc in highschool.

I always told him if he crashed it, I wanted the engine, trans and rear axle.

My goal would have been to swap it in to a 4cylinder fox body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'll bet its real fun. Iirc, the 3.8 was an option in the early days of the fox body, so that might not have been too difficult of a swap, but they never came with IRS, so putting the rear axle in there would have been challenging to say the least. Especially for dumbass highschool me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

unzin posted:

Can't get the dealer to lube up my front sway bar bushings because it doesn't have zerk fittings. What the gently caress, just undo 6 bolts and slop some grease on them.

What's the reason for doing this, do they squeak?

Depending on what the bushings are made of, petroleum based grease might be bad for them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Coolwhoami posted:

Bought an 84' Chrysler Daytona about 2 weeks ago, today finally got the parts and time. 9 hours later, replaced the front rotors (previous owner did the pads but not the rotors), replaced the rear struts and did drums on this piece of poo poo and snapped a brake line in the process because the flare nut seized to the line. Naturally this happened after the parts stores closed so now I have a loop de loop for a brake line at the moment. I have not done any of this poo poo before. Doing all that and I still only get parking brake engagement on the left side, but that's a problem for another day

Belts are next, I need to figure out what I want to do with the rust spots on the exterior and how to deal with the very rusted floor under the drivers side. Also need to figure out whatever is causing the low to non-existent idle on start.

gently caress. Yes.

:justpost: a thread.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cardboard is good for sliding around on if you don't have a creeper, or the ground is uneven enough for a creeper to be no good

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not me but my dad had a problem with his 1998 Mazda 626 (450,000km on the odometer), the washer fluid tank level sensor (floating device) had fallen out the bottom. So he bought a rubber plug meant for a row boat bottom and put it in the tank. Works but now he no longer has a washer fluid indicator.

Hella car this Mazda. Gets 50 mpg on regular gas.

If it's anything like the one in my 97 protege, it's huge anyway. I had to really try to empty mine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

MrOnBicycle posted:

I've seen the argument being made that prefilling is pointless outside rebuilds, and increases the risk of introducing contaminants since the oil being poured in is unfiltered. It's was a while since I saw a video on it, but I think some industrial applications (maybe CAT) specifically forbids the practice when changing oils in engines.

The not very often times when I fill a filter before putting it on, I usually pour the oil in to the big hole in the middle, which IIRC, is the inlet for the filter, so that oil would still have to go through the element before going out to the engine.

Compared to how many times, I or anyone else has probably dumped oil through a valve cover, or other oil fill and probably had poo poo fall in there because we didn't get 100% of the crud off the area around the cap, which then goes down to the pan, and in to the pump.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If the rear brakes seems to be getting hot and doing most of the work, and an inspection deems everything back there to be in good working order, then maybe the problem is at the front. Are the front calipers seized? Are the slide pins moving freely?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Uhhhh, I think thats upside down.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thats weird, every 1/2"-13 nut and bolt I've ever seen has been 3/4" on the flats.

But maybe thats an "old stuff" thing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I I think I posted a pic of it in here years ago but I had a rattling heat shield on my Corolla. Got underneath it and took the nut off a stud it was hosed up somehow and I can't remember exactly what was wrong with it. I think I tried to weld a washer to it because of reasons lost to time. Well that didn't work and there were no more m6 nuts in the shop and I scoured the fuckin poo poo out of it.

Eventually remembered I had some 5/8" round aluminum bar so I cut a section of that, drilled as close through the middle as I could, tapped it to m6 1.0 and even ground a couple flats on it.

It's been several years and that bitch ain't started rattling again

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Far be it for me to tell a more experienced wrencher how to live their life, but do people really bother trying to save swaybar end links? I tried once, failed and just decided that from now on they're disposable.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm not going to post it in my thread because I did a lovely job of it, and stopped taking pictures about 15 minutes in to it, but I finally got around to installing the 4wp bed stiffeners on my Tacoma. My bed is probably stiff enough, but believe it or not I do use it from time to time for hauling poo poo and having a couple extra tie downs points is fuckin useful .
The 4wp brand ones are hidden too, except for some small pieces that act as the tie down points, and also as beer openers.

Highlights of the install include a lesson in reading a fuckin tape measure properly. You are familiar with the saying "measure twice cut once"? Or is it "measure once cut twice"?
Well whatever it is, my lesson was MEASURE TEN FUCKIN TIMES DRILL THREE TIMES. Instead of two times. gently caress me. also all four of the stainless screws that hold the tie down pieces had the heads strip out on me without even using an impact. And one of the captive nuts that goes underneath stripped too. Also from not being impacted ... I can change the screws out and there's enough threads sticking out of the captive nuts to put another one on there and torque it down. Still a fuckin pain though.

I bought this kit months ago now and 4wp no longer has a presence in Canada so I can't even go to the store I bought it from and bitch to them about it.

gently caress it though, its done

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 26, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Speaking of brake fluid, does it really strip paint like everyone says it does?

I've been hearing that for years, but Brake fluid is pretty much hydraulic fluid no? I've been working on hydraulics for years, have gotten that poo poo on everything and never seen paint strip because of it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fair enough. Whats the difference between the two then?

Like I said I've gotten Hydraulic fluid on tons of stuff over the years, and not always bothered to rinse it off and paint hasn't fallen off any of that poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If she can only lock the drivers door with the key, that's good prevention from locking the key in the car.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The pussy wagon guy from Kill Bill was probably a JC Whitney stock holder.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

bird with big dick posted:

My dick isn’t big, only 12” :smuggo:

Yeah thats pretty small actually.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't care for white letters out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Doing God's work.
If I get around to lifting the Outback, the next set of tires will have white letters. Maybe even if I don't lift it.

Nice. Paint pen?

....no.
Sorry, now we've hit my point of intolerance: I hate white stipe tires, with very few exceptions. White walls, appropriately used, fine, but thin white stripes just look cheap.

edit: but if I'm honest, it works in an ironic fashion on something like that Metro.

Those look like period correct white walls to me

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Powershift posted:

Removed some gasoline. and then the tank

And the remains of the pump

and ugghh

The tank is in quite good shape and if i can save it that's like $350. Same with the fuel ump bracket, $200 there, but i'll have to cut and re-flare one of the lines.

I went at the bracket with some degreaser and a brass brush and it will come fairly clean, i've got it soaking now.

underneath the car looks great. Basically anything that wasn't being caressed by wet grass is quite clean.

I literally froze my rear end laying on cold concrete. i think i need some sort of heating pad, or start getting things much higher in the air to use the creeper.

If you can find some big rear end sheets of cardboard, that poo poo is good for getting underneath poo poo and sliding around. Small bit of insulation too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Last night I finally welded up the rust hole in the mazda 6. I notice where it rusted out there is a hole on the bottom/side that will let water and crap into the beam structure, but I can see no drain hole. When I cut away the rust I had so much debris logged in there, no wonder it rusted out. But why! Why have those holes there?

Also I wonder if I am really bad at welding or if I can start blaming my mig welder, but it sure turned out ugly lumpy mess even after I ground down the worst. The welder is so inconsistent from weld to weld. I wonder if the ground cable is broken still, I've gone through the handle and cleaned out the liner and got new rollers for the feeder, it feeds very well. I cut off a part of the ground cable when I got it as it looked to be in bad shape but maybe the whole cable needs replacing. Or it's just me.

Using straight co2 might get some blame but I didn't do much better with mixgas, I think they act similar enough.

Try posting the question in the metal working thread in HCH.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If I'm able to see the filter, which I can on some of my company's equipment, I write it (date and hrs) on the filter.
If the filter is buried somewhere in the bowels of the machine, I'll still write it on the filter, but also we've got a label maker so I'll type out "next oil change due @ XXXhrs" and paste that label next to the hour meter.

It was great when I got a new machine and the one that I was using the label maker on was given to a guy who is always saying stuff like "yeah I can't remember poo poo most of the time" and then seeing the last label I put on there was from like 700 hours ago.
At one point he decided that "the hour meter is wrong, its reading slow, I got 180 hours last month but the hour meter only went up by 60 hours"
I have to be all ":ssh: the hour meter doesn't run if the key is off, so when you're sitting in traffic for 2 hours on the way to and from the site, the drill ain't getting any hours on it".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You and your sister know how big each other's balls are?
drat!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Usually jiggling tits makes me fully hard. Not the other way around.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I guess you don't have a pickle fork?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I was changing to summer tires on the Mazda 6 when I remembered I also wanted to swap the brake pads. And the rear left disc looked like poo poo and the inspections guy told me last time it was on it's last legs so I swapped that too. Cue hours of bullshit: Penetrating oil, hitting with hammers, extensions for extra leverage on the wrench, trying weird extensions to get the impact driver into place, and finally the propane torch.

And the stupid calipers use a rotating motion so they have to be screwed back in and I didn't have a tool so I panic mocked up something.

While I was at it I cleaned up the calipers and cleaned out and regreased the pins. Left side came out well, right side was stuck even worse than the first and the piston is really hard to move, I think that caliper might be shot. I am not sure if it can be serviced liked the old Saab calipers could, like more modern stuff it seems designed to break and be replaced with new parts instead.

I did the rear brakes on my Corolla yesterday too. It also has the piston that gets screwed back in to the caliper.
I got one of those disc brake cubes hooked it up to a 3/8" drive extension of appropriate length, then a drill to socket adaptor And used my drill to turn them bitches back in. It worked pretty good, though unlike past times it took a bit of fuckery to get the pistons moving. Possibly because my stuff was so worn, the pistons may have been at the end of their travel and so needed a bit of goosing to get them moving. Once they started moving, it was ok though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PhotoKirk posted:

The M3.5 bolts that hold on my rear wiper didn't want to come out.

I win.

You and I are one of the 7 people who have ever used an easy out successfully. I think four more ofvthise people are also ai posters.

The bolt I needed one for was fairly loose gotta admit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fifty Three posted:

I also have a success story! Bolt from my motorcycle like 8 years ago.

I also have several failures. Pay no attention to those.

Yeah, I think I have about 12 -15 failures and one success story with them. That one success was the stub was already loose, I just COULD NOT grip that fucker or otherwise turn it with anything. I tried every single fuckin thing I could think of so after sending it to the bottom of the hole with a drill bit before actually drilling the hole in it, I shoved that poo poo in there turned it backwards and felt like allah himself when it came out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Verman posted:

Ugh. The ac is out on both of my vehicles. 08 4Runner with 212k and my 06 Prius with 102k. We're expecting a kid in August and my wife is insistent on having working ac, with good reason.

The Prius I'm almost certain is a bad compressor meaning it needs a new condenser etc and I've read the fix is long and painful, or expensive if you pay someone else to do it. It makes a not-so-great noise when the ac kicks on.

The 4runner, I'm not sure yet but it leaks. I recharged it a few years ago. I'm going to test the relay, then the compressor. If it's the compressor ... New condenser etc as well. I'm hoping it was just that I didn't put quite enough in. If the compressor seems fine, I might take it in to get a leak detection done.

Lord help me. Ac issues almost make me want to accept a monthly payment on a new car/s.

To quote a whole bunch of mechanics, and also hvac people "it's almost never the compressor"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Putting new struts/springs etc in my Corolla.
Quick struts this time. From the time I jacked the back up, to having everything back on the ground, torqued and all my poo poo back in the trunk was just over an hour for the rears.

Lunch time now but started to loosen up stuff on the front.

MIRACULOUSLY I was able to undo the swaybar end links.

But gently caress it, they're still getting changed, I bought them new ones for a reason.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

Quick struts rule (unless the only brand available is Monroe. Wish I could get kyb for mine).

I ended up going with Gabriel because that was what Rock auto had that wasn't Monroe or FCS (fuckin cheap-rear end poo poo?)

Last time I did that to this car, I wanted KYB but there was only quick struts for the front, rock auto didn't sell them (too expensive everywhere else) and they were never available for the rears.
So I had to buy four struts, and assemble all the poo poo myself. Then I saw I had a broken spring a few weeks ago and suddenly I had to do this now instead of "in the fall" which could mean anytime between the fall and 3 years from now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If it hasn't been suggested to you yet, spraying the poo poo out of it with penetrating oil every day for a week or two can be of help.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Post more pics of the black kitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

He knew it would bother you more than average.