Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Last week I installed a 3" downpipe. As anyone with a Mazdaspeed 3 or 6, the stock downpipe is horrible restrictive. As it turns out, it is also a complete bitch to remove. Removing the old one took 5 hours, putting the new one in took just two. It has definitely made a difference in throttle response, however I'm smelling exhaust under the hood and leaking into the cabin. I'm going to have to get in there and make sure the downpipe to turbo nuts are tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I traded mine in for an '09 G8 GT. Once I get my camera back I'll post a thread.

mcvey, I still have a couple of parts from my old GTP that you might want. Email me at darkan@gmail.com if you're interested.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Good choice, what color?

Had mine a little over a month now and love the poo poo out of it.

Panther Black Metallic. I think I read that it was the most common color, but I don't mind. It also has the two tone interior, which I LOVE.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I installed the spare wheel/tire and jack kit I bought to replace the idiotic air compressor/sealant combo that Pontiac put in the G8 GTs. I wish I had thought to do that before I got a flat a few weeks ago.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Did you get it from JHP? I have been thinking about getting one myself.

I got the wheel/tire from a guy on grrrr8.net and the jack kit from Pace Performance. The jack kit and their oil change special were my first purchases from Pace, and I'm pretty happy with them.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Got a Superchips Cortex tuner for the G8. It doesn't add much power, but it allowed me to deactivate the DOD (No more horrible drone on the highway) and tweak the torque management settings so the transmission shifts more like a performance car. All in all, I'm very satisfied.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I used the 91 tune because we can't get 93 here. I did however set the torque to 50%, and raised the 1-2 shift by 250 rpm. Like I said, I haven't felt a lot of power yet, but I love the way it shifts. And maybe a little more power will come after the tune 'settles' in a day or two.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is your car otherwise stock?

It should take a few days of normal driving while the ECM relearns your driving habits. With a CAI, axle backs and the aforementioned settings my car will bark the tires on the 1-2 shift with Stabilitrak turned on.

Yeah, it's otherwise stock. I had the cash for the tuner, or for an intake. I chose the tuner for now. I'm probably going with the Vararam when I get some more cash saved up.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I did update it first thing. My car may not run as strong because I'm about 3,500 feet above sea level here. But, with the traction control off and 50% shift torque, I'll get a nice little wiggle when it shifts from 1st to 2nd.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

BabyJesus posted:

My 197bhp Honda Civic can chirp 2nd and 3rd, whats your point?

Admittedly, this was on the stock Michelins. I've put a new set of Goodyear Eagle GTs and I doubt it could do it now on the 2->3 shift.

Your Civic didn't weigh over 4,000 pounds? The G8 is a big fatty.
Also, the stock transmission tuning had very lazy shifts. That's one of the biggest gripes most owners have. I don't know if the stock torque management was designed to increase the longevity of the transmission, or if they wanted it to shift more like a 'luxury' car. It's bad enough that you had to pay an extra $15K to even have the option for a man tran. Either way, it's pretty unacceptable for a sporty sedan.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I went from this.

to this.

K&N claims an 11 HP increase to the rear wheels. I don't know if it's making more power, but oh my god the noise. It's fantastic!

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Nice! I hadn't seen the K&N installed before. Looks good. The noise is definitely well worth it!

I was going for the Rotofab, but Maryland Speed had the K&N for $279.99 with free shipping. I just couldn't beat the price. A couple of weeks ago Superchips came out with a Cortex tune with the K&N installed. It definitely pulls harder than before, although I can't say how much more power it's making.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

Nice. I was eyeing a Vararam auction on Ebay last week that ended at $305 shipped, but I'm still torn on what intake to go with regardless. I will likely couple a tune with this as well... Finally have someone interested in my old AccessPoint. You should make a recording of your new ferociousness. :devil:

I was going to go with the Vararam, but the price on the K&N was just too good. I would love to take a video, but I've just got a digital camera and I'm not sure how it does on video. I may give it a try today or tomorrow.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

The Vararam is a different design, even though they're both OTR type. It was discussed pretty extensively at grrrr8.net, and it was decided that it's safe due to the different design. Who knows though.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

It sucks about the car, but if it did that much damage you're lucky it didn't gently caress her up as well.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I know auto parts stores sell some sort of spray that's supposed to help remove tint somehow. I don't have any idea whether it works or not, though. I DO know that peeling off old tint is a very stinky job.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Got a 2.5" stainless x-pipe installed on my G8, and also got the muffler shop to build a heimholtz resonator in front of each muffler to kill the horrible 100hz drone on the highway.

OOOOOOHHHH. I've been wanting to do the heimholtz resonator thing, but I live in a little town and I figure the guys at the muffler shop would just scratch their heads. I don't want to derail the thread, but I want details!

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

On my other car (2001 Grand Prix) I found that the front valve cover gasket is leaking, which is a common thing with those cars. At least the gaskets are cheap, and it'll give me something to do.

I'm not sure about the 01's, but my 98 was part of the engine fire recall which involved that valve cover gasket. Is yours covered?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

175000 mile old supercharger oil. Mmmm.

gently caress that. I last changed supercharger oil three years ago, and I'm still trying to get the smell out of my nose.

EDIT - I haven't changed it since because I sold the car. I changed it once a year when I had the car.

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 14, 2010

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

leica posted:

Old school Alpine EQ era 1994 :hellyeah:

Oh god, I love the EQ. The memories that brings back...

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

leica posted:

Yeah I love it too, but I starting to wonder if it's the reason my speakers sound like poo poo.....Gonna have to disconnect it to rule it out, crossing my fingers I won't have to trash it.
Ok, but if you have to disconnect it you should definitely leave it in place just for looks.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

Got a tune.

G8 GXP m6, Rotofab intake and Solo Performance catback are the only mods; gained about 30/35 with the tune. It definitely runs better than stock now. :dance:

Niiiiiice. Who did the tune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Got it back from the shop. In my car, the stereo stays on until the driver's side door opens, even after you've removed the key. I noticed that the stereo wasn't shutting off every so often, and the problem just got worse and worse. I figured it was the switch in the door that showed that the door had been opened, and my diagnosis was confirmed when the dome light failed to come on. Took it in and got it repaired under warranty. I also got one of the tail lights replaced. It had a bad seal and water was getting in and puddling in there. Only 3K miles left on the warranty, so I'm glad it decided to act up now rather than sometime after the warranty is up.