Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I installed this sweet wood shift knob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Cleaned up the headlights using 3M's restoration kit.

Before:

After:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

CornHolio posted:

That looks fantastic. Link to the kit you used? My car has the same problem, and I've never been able to get them cleaned good.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/rebates/B001AIZ5HY/ref=dp_rebates_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=automotive

It's a steal at $10.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

A little spring cleaning:

Wash with foam gun
Clay
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish w/ PC7424
Menzerna Nano Finish w/ PC7424
Meguiars #16 wax

I also detailed the engine bay, vacuumed the interior, and pulled the wheels off to clean the insides. Meguiars #16 is the first carnauba I've used and it's fantastic. Feels nice and thick and makes the color a bit warmer (car is off white). The Menzerna polish combo is pretty easy to work with and does a nice job. The paint is not completely mark-free but still significantly better than before and I'm still refining the technique.

Obligatory reflection shot.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

VibrioCholera posted:

Great work there. What pads did you use and what was your technique? I usually use Lake Country CCS pads. I like them but it takes quite a few. White cars are so much fun to detail because you won't go nuts looking for all the imperfections. The only problem with them is clay bar. Holy crap you see everything versus claying a black car. It's a trade off I guess.
Lake Country CCS here too. I used an orange pad with the SIP at 4500 RPM and a white pad with the Nano Finish at 2500. I draw a marker line on the disc and used enough pressure to keep it moving slowly (stopping it completely turned out to be a bit too much).

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Installed a new intake. Now my hood scoop has a purpose. :woop:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Had it tinted yesterday. Clay and two coats of sealant today.

Input:

Output:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Tentacle Party posted:

I need to get me some ONR. I have heard nothing but good things about it, and maybe some opti-coat as well.
It really is fantastic stuff. I've used it as a wash, spray detailer (I keep a bottle in each of my cars), and clay lubricant. Opticoat sounds like a great product but the instructions make it seem like a bitch to apply and there's all sorts of disclaimers about making sure you don't screw up because its permanent.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Rotated the tires yesterday. While the wheels were off I gave them a thorough wash and wax. No, I didn't get under the car with it jacked up like that.

Today, cleaned up the rest of the car. It was just dusty so it got an Optimum No Rinse sponge bath. Took it out for a couple pictures because hey, new camera and clean car.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Installed the accessory armrest in my Mazda 2. The pieces:

Console out. It's held in with one bolt and a couple clips. Then the bracket above is bolted to an existing bracket and holes lining up with the bracket and armrest base are drilled into the console.

Finished product which is placed nicely for the resting of arm.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Installed and programmed an UltraGauge. Really nice alternative to a ScanGauge at about half the price.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Lowclock posted:

Also looks a shitload better. How's the update rate and functionality compared to the Scangauge?
Update rate is about as good as the ScanGauge and it has more gauges out of the box (although you can't program your own like you can with a ScanGauge). You can set up three pages of gauges and have it automatically scroll through them. You can set high/low alarms for all of the gauges.

The only things I would change about the UltraGauge would be to have user configurable lighting color and a detachable cable.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

My first track day.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

DogDodger posted:

Awesome, where was this? This was your first day ever, and you were soloed? Have fun? :)
Oh yes, I will be doing it again. That was at Streets of Willow (the track above on the hill is Horse Thief Mile, which is typically used for motorcycles). I did five sessions: lead-follow, with instructor, two without instructor, and then with instructor as a sanity check. Got more comfortable and faster in each of the middle three runs (last run was too cold) and I didn't put any wheels off or break anything, so I'll call it a success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Doing an oil change for the first time on my Mazda 2 (the dealer did the first one for free). Picked up 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 and the world's smallest oil filter from Pep Boys. It's a $38 package deal that they have going on right now. The car took exactly 4 quarts. 0W-20 is about the same consistency as water and you can pour the entire bottle into the engine in about 2 seconds.

I haven't had to deal with a spin-on oil filter in about 6 years. :suicide: