Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Doing suspension this weekend. Already had to buy a hackzall, blades, and yellow propane. Rust can gargle my nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Suspension Trip Report: Took it to a shop. :(

2rusty4my_talent

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Powershift posted:

No shame in admitting defeat sometimes. As long as you've learned something you've made progress as a human being. It's a positive step to express your emotions and admit to your shortcomings rather than bottling it up until you explode. I'm proud of you, friend.

Yeah, I'm jealous of people in warm climates more than ever now.

Nice wheels, btw.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Also have to eventually do spark plugs on wife's Subaru but ehhh gently caress that job on boxers. Had to loosen motor mounts and jack the engine around for clearance last time in her old one. Not looking forward to it too say the least, even though it's not particularly difficult. Just more than it needs to be.

It's still funny to me that a selling point for Perrin's FT86 engine mounts is that they make it easier to drop said engine.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm curious to how that tool works.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

There are some people who believe shocks and struts are lifetime parts.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The rustoleum Civic got sold since my mom gave me her old Equinox and guilted me into keeping it. :v: Getting new tires for said Equinox soon, then replacing shocks/struts since they're original (hopefully not as rustastic this time), and finally new stereo with a backup camera because CarPlay and rear visibility on this thing is hilarious.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Powershift posted:

Time isn't always on your side, which is why you can't waste your life driving boring vehicles.

It's a shame the general populace doesn't believe this.

Related: Did the brake fluid in the new-to-me Equinox and got to play with my power bleeder. Bled clear at the calipers, but the reservoir had nice, black fluid.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Pro tip: use a turkey baster to suck out fluid from the reservoir first, clean it, then add new fluid and bleed. Assuming you can even get a rag in there since most of them have baffles now.

Yeah, I know the turkey baster technique. I've got one in the garage reserved for such duty. I really should complete a full flush since whoever did it before did a halfass job.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

What bleeder did you get?

https://smile.amazon.com/Motive-Products-System-Bleeder-Trucks/dp/B000TK9FE8/

This thing is ace.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It's worse with misaligned LED headlights. Holy poo poo those things are bright.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Today I saw that the tachometer likes to dance at stop lights.

Baby's first rough idle diagnosis coming.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've done brakes for people only for them to later complain that the brakes are now "too good."

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Did engine oil plus filter and trans fluid in wife's car. Brake bleeder adapter was the wrong one, so I'll rotate the tires and change the serpentine belt when the correct adapter gets delivered.

I had to pierce the filter with a screwdriver to spin the loving thing off, so I'll take advice for a oil filter wrench that isn't poo poo.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

EvilBeard posted:

K&N Performance Series filters are all I use. The 1" hex on the end are a must, plus they're one of the best filters out there.

Same, but as we've seen, I have a tendency to over-torque my filters. I did just a few turns of the ratchet this time putting the new filter on--I was raised to wrench my filters tight, fwiw.

Did transfer case oil change today on my vehicle. Existing oil was original, but smelled nowhere near as awful as the rear diff oil that was changed recently.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Thanks for the input on removing and properly installing oil filters. I'll be the first to admit I'm an idiot since I've proven that to myself many times before.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Swapped coil packs to chase rough idle. No change, so original coil pack seems to be good. Might as well move on to plugs and wires next.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tomorrow, I attempt another suspension. It's an Indiana car, so hopefully the rust won't be as dire.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Oh sweet child.

I grew up in Indianapolis and my college Cavalier wasn’t terrible when I did that suspension. The Civic I tried to do last time was a Wisconsin car.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Trip report: Suspension went fine. Nothing an impact wrench and Liquid Wrench couldn't unstick.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Well done.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I hope GM puts the baby Duramax in more things.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I have plugs and wires to do, but my propane heater's tank is empty and I'm procrastinating practicing social distancing not going to the gas station. :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Got a new one.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Since AI asked for pictures, a few more when you click below.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

opengl128 posted:

Very nice. Love those seats.

They are quite comfy and come with two-stage butt warmers.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

StormDrain posted:

A single cab dually turns my head everytime. So rare.

Best trucks

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've been replacing all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs this week (dome light, trunk light, license plate lights, reverse lights, side marker lights). I was going to be finished tonight, but I got the wrong side marker bulbs.

~*the future*~

I also got a box today with mud flaps in it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

90s Solo Cup posted:

How difficult was that? Did you have to mess around with any ballasts? I've thought about going all LED on the exterior lights save for the low-beams (those are xenons).

Easy as changing any other mini bulb and I haven't noticed any weird things with duty cycle. afaik, only low/high beams need ballasts.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Change the EVAP vent solenoid in my wife's car to chase said system's leaks. Thank you, Honda, for making that job easy.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I put in a softer clutch assist spring last night and clutch action is much better. Hydraulic clutches are still weird to me.

No pictures because "tiny car" interior. Why do I like tiny cars? :(

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Edward IV posted:

The driveshaft had also smacked the shifter linkage so hard that the shifter no longer points up straight in neutral.

:stare:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DrChu posted:

Did you get the MTEC spring?

Yep

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:h:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Looks good. :3:

The new style center console type is nice since I'm also someone who perpetually uses their armrest and a drink can go in the back. With the old style, was the armrest kind that hinged on the side not worth the effort?

All in all, I feel like I'll be getting more bottled drinks for driving since I use the door cup holder whenever I can.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Added a trim piece:

And a trunk pull:

(That's oil I'm returning.)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

thealphabetsez posted:

Again with the magical green 86! Also loving the green VT plate. :allears:

It's an Illinois environmental plate. :v:

Thinking of getting an Eagle Scout plate at renewal to keep the fuzz off my back. :madmax:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm digging the whitewalls.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

Wash. Wash again. Clay. Polished as best I could, Waxed, and Waxed again. Still has some light swirls in it that I'll take another pass at next time its dirty.. and I found some small chips to repair so paint has been ordered.

Now time to tackle the interior after I run out for more leather cleaner and 303.....

That center stripe pinstriping rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DrChu posted:

(does it count as JDM if it came from Japan but is obviously for LHD?).

If the shipping label says Japan and it went through customs, you're good. :v: