Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Man, that rock would wreck my car. I cant even drive over snow chunks 1/3 that size.
One of my cars I don't think I could even hit it with the bottom of my differential. :q: Edit: Well ... Maybe. How big is that wheel?

The other it would go through the bumper and radiator and probably stop when the engine block hit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Propaganda Bob posted:

Put a new fuel pump on my Fox body and installed a fuel filter. Still trying to get the hang of tuning carburetors, though. If you mash the throttle from idle or low rpm the engine hesitates like it's getting flooded with fuel, but if I tune it down a little it starts popping like it's leaning out.

Anyone with carburetor experience want to give me some tips?

edit- it's a Holley four barrel with mechanical secondaries
Air Fuel Ratio gauge. Worth the couple hundred it will cost you now vs the new engine later.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What size are they, and if you don't mind me asking, what did they run? I'm curious after the conversation I saw about it :)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mounted my new Valentine1 (physically):

Next up is the wiring.

Edit: And, (mostly) done:

I still want to velcro that line into some sort of orderly fashion, but at least it's not sticking up through the middle of the car now.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 9, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Broken:

Replaced:

Actually light up now:

I don't trust the wiring, though. The connector looked ... melted, to be honest. I'm hoping it's just that the cover broke, something shorted out, whatever, but until I have a chance to find some new ones and splice them in, these will do.

I did think it a little funny that I decided to replace these because I noticed the cover broken, then when I went to look how the LED would look versus the incandescent, I noticed they didn't work at all. Not really sure how I've gotten away with that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tinted the windows:

So much better.

Edit: hmmm, imgur app ignores iPhone edits. Well, enjoy my license plate, I guess. Edit 2: haHA. Got it.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 23, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Didn't take pictures this time, but the Mustang got an energy suspensions transmission mount (should've done this a long time ago, it's amazing) and an oil change.

The jeep got the dash ripped apart, the rear bumper and trailer hitch mounted up (still needs paint, lights, and wiring), and a new hood and the donor front bumper to build that.

PROGRESS!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's a pretty serious cage. What events are you running it for?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Way ahead of you, other IH guys ... when I find a cheap hitch.
What kind of IH and what are you looking for?

I don't know if you're near SoCal but I know a Scout guy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Put on new lift arms for the XJ's rear hatch, and fixed the pesky latch that was intermittently not working.
I'm curious about this ... Mine seems to go in and out fairly frequently, and my plan so far is to simply R&R it. But I'd like to not have to.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

She's getting accident damage repaired:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

How did the claim go?
Honestly, bad enough that I would certainly never CHOOSE to do business with Farmer's / 21st, and hope to never be on this side of it again, either.

At your suggestion, I reached out to the supervisor. She was initially pretty rude, but once she figured out that I wasn't calling about the claim from two years ago where one of their (drunk) drivers hit my parked car, she called the adjuster. He then called me, and stuck to the $20/day rental line. I began trying to explain (again) why that wouldn't work, all the while remaining calm, until he starts literally (yes, literally) yelling at me over the phone. He got as far as saying "I'm reading you the riot act."* before I hung up. I immediately called the supervisor back, left her a vmail, since she didn't answer, then called the 800 number to try to seek recourse.

He leaves me an extremely condescending vmail while I'm on the phone with the main line and they're trying to reach the supervisor, to no avail. My contact email lights up with 3-4 notifications that new documents relating to my claim have been posted while I'm doing this, which turn out to be details of payment to the body shop (cool, but doesn't solve the rental issue) and then an additional email letting me know that I've got an Enterprise rental arranged for my convenience by 21st! Yay!

... or not. Since the email offers no details, I call 21st, they explain that the convenient rental is arranged for me at an address ~30 minutes away from the airport (BUR) I'm flying into, and will of course need to be returned to that location by Wednesday night the following week. I explain why this won't help (I'm flying out of LAX on Sunday, and will not be in Los Angeles until Thursday), they apologize and tell me to contact the adjuster again.

Luckily, the supervisor calls me back shortly after this, and we proceed to have a 57 minute conversation in which she insists that it's possible to rent cars for $20/day and that's all they're responsible for, I point out that the reason I have my car (and don't crash it into things) is to avoid things like "Drop Fees" on rental cars, she tells me she's sure you can and I'm just not looking hard enough, I point out to her that the rate I'm coming up with ($41/day) is using MY corporate discount with Enterprise and it's probably as good as anyone is going to find outside of a mega-corporation like 21st, she agrees to pay that but will NOT pay the drop fee, I (since I'm on the "Click here to reserve your car!" screen and can see what the drop fee is - $7.41. Seriously.) agree to pay that.

Interestingly, the day after she agreed to this, she AND the adjuster were out at the body shop to look at the car again - I assume because they were hoping to find grounds to deny it and screw me, but I don't know. I wouldn't have even known if I didn't have contact with someone at the body shop.

At this point, I have turned the rental in already and do not intend to seek a further rental car, even though my car isn't done yet and I'm still ~50 miles away from it by the time I get home from LAX, but I have to submit the receipt and am keeping my fingers crossed that they'll actually pay. Sorry for the ramble - obviously I'm not real happy about all of this.

* - I've never heard this used this way before - I've always heard it used to describe someone else's actions. You know, you lay into someone, then someone ELSE says "Man, he sure read him the riot act!".

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

1. Drained the oil.
  2. Pulled the filter.
  3. Looked at the new Motorcraft pressure sensor in my hand, realized it didn't at all match the pressure sensor on the car.
  4. Went to Autozone, got the right one.
  5. Realized I didn't have a 21mm wrench (what? how?) to pull it, went back.
  6. Got the old one out.
  7. Realized I didn't have thread tape (what??? how???), gave up for the day.

It goes back in tomorrow. And I'm re-evaluating my toolbox.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tremek posted:

I have found Old People that do this to 'save on gas' - the irony being that with the drag coefficient of modern cars being so low, the windows down actually causes enough drag to result in worse MPG versus running the compressor.
I find myself doing it because I got used to owning cars that either didn't have AC, or would overheat if it was used.

I guess I also just like fresh air, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Smogged both at STAR stations. Woo.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

keykey posted:

Timing chain tensioner repaired.. Now to replace the snout bearings and pulley on the supercharger. Awwww.. The Mini now has hemisphagea.. :3:
A pigeon native to New Zealand? :confused:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Spent about $500, between a Ford Racing intake manifold (read: gently caress you, ford, why was that ever plastic???), an Optima Battery (because I left my 4x4 sitting because ... life), a couple of tools (specifically fuel-line disconnect tool), and assorted parts to swap the manifold (gaskets, o-rings, etc.).

Now to spend the weekend installing all of it and hoping it just fits. Because it never does.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

A loving doorbell button tek-screwed to my coin drawer are you loving serious what in the utter metric gently caress
What. The. gently caress.

Why? What did it do?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddsMuJne8RQ

Made my trailer hitch skull better.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Took the jeep from two to fourteen tweeters. Still needs a subwoofer and better rear speakers, but it's getting there.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Lowclock posted:

I'm curious. That is a lot of tweeters.
I cheated:

PYLE PLTWVS 6-Way Sunvisor Mount 200 Watt Tweeter System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000687Y6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PytExb02KM29A

They sound a lot better than I expected, especially at that price point. Added quite a bit of volume.

Rhyno posted:

He didn't actually add any speakers, he just crashed through a birdhouse.

Also I like this answer.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Finally bolted the mustang back together after my cracked intake manifold. I let it sit way too long.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Now lower it to go faster.
I'll worry about it when yours can keep up with mine :q:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it wasn't running for several months I'm pretty sure his was faster than yours.
"was"

And ouch.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Nice. Where did you get the hardware?
The skull is:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Covers/Reese/RP86529.html

And the flasher unit is:
Signal Dynamics Back Off XP Brake Light Signal Module - -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F85OUM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rJdLxbFMH95HK

Pretty nice unit, wiring was easy, two modes available, fits inside the skull backing. Seems to give people the hint and has resulted in a lot less tailgaters.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Man, I feel pretty lucky that I haven't heard a fart can like that in awhile.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, the underbody is cleaner than most surgical rooms in these parts.
That front tire wear, though ...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

STR posted:

Pretty much what I thought, tho I thought the 90-93 Integras were pretty similar to 88-91 Civics (not counting the clutch; think Civic had gone to hydraulic by then). I know a lot of EG parts could swap between a DA chassis, but it's been so long since I played with HondaLegos that I forget what swaps between what.
My ‘91 Civic Si definitely had a cable clutch.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So over the last week or so, I modded my 2000 Mustang to have a double-DIN radio slot (stock was single DIN), and put in a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX. Still working out a couple things (that stupid Mach460 connector from Metra is the biggest piece of poo poo), but it's in, working, and I feel better about the car in general - carplay and a backup camera goes a long way. I also threw new headlight housings (why doesn't anyone make a nice set for this car?), and nice bulbs in the front lights, as well as Sylvania ZEVO reverse bulbs.

On order, the FRPP shift knob that's apparently out of production. Hopefully this ebay seller can come through, because the stock one is worn out and it's beaaaaautiful:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

What headlights did you get?
Last time around was a TYC model that ran ~$130, they had a garbage light pattern and yellowed after ~3-4 years. This time, $60 on ebay.

They look identical, and if they last anywhere near as long, I'll consider it a success.

I appreciate the offer! I'll hit you up if the ebayer doesn't come through :)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

SVE makes a reproduction that I've had in my car for around 5 years.
https://lmr.com/item/SVE-7213H/mustang-cobra-shift-knob-5-speed-sve-79-04
Groovy, this will be a good alternative to stock if they don't come through. The dimensions look a little off, and it's "leather", not leather, but it's also $30, so that could be alllllllright.

Edit: Ebay person did not come through, ordered this. Thanks! And thanks to Cage ... I like this style better, but I appreciate your offer too.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 12, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

I get using a tool where you need to say wind in the caliper for the parking brake, but why don't you just use a big c-clamp and one of the pads you're replacing to compress the caliper?
Rear calipers (often? almost always?) don't allow this, like you said. You can do this on the front, usually, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

How on earth .... :psyduck:
Water in the spark plug socket, definitely. Guessing there are cooling issues on this vehicle?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This was actually yesterday, but I verified that the solar charger I wired up for my Jeep which frequently stays parked for long periods actually works - took it out for a drive, started right up and ran just fine, last time it was started before that was at least two months ago.

If anyone else is thinking about it, charge controller + solar panel. Less than $60, completely removes the ongoing issue of "crap, how long has it been since I drove it?", protects the much more expensive battery.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 1, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Interesting. How do you have the panel mounted up?
I didn't want to permanently mount it, so it's just sitting on the dash in front of the gauge cluster - roughly parallel to the windshield.

It is supposedly weatherproof, so mounting externally is an option, but at least for my use it's not problematic to move it and throw it in a bag under the seat when the vehicle is used.

Edit: Oh, and just in case it was in reference to wiring, it's just plugged in via an included cigarette lighter plug to an always on outlet.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 1, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

New tire place also informed me that ordinarily all tires that have been injected with the emergency sealant are discarded and have to be replaced with new ones because of the hazardous nature of the goo. There is no way to properly dispose it. He was nice to do it in my case though as it was such a weird one. Didn't even charge me full price since it was all such a faff. The disposal thing applies to Sweden, so doubt it's something for you Americans to worry about. But it's worth looking up before using the sealant.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not 100% certain, but I always understood this to be an issue with removing it - i.e., it's impossible - not that it's particularly hazardous. (It might be, but the bigger issue has always been explained to me as "you're not getting it off without throwing away the tire & valve stem".)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, genuinely, but what else would that word mean?

get rid of (someone or something) as no longer useful or desirable.

My understanding is that the emergency sealant is intended to allow a car without a spare to get to a tire shop, to buy a new tire, and that's it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I may already have sandals, though not Teva.
Birkenstocks work, too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, this looks exactly like [a stripped and modded] version of my '91 Civic interior.

Man, I miss that car sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Can confirm, Prednisone is well-packaged Evil.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 23, 2019