Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Got some neat american racing wheels for $120 on craigslist and put em on. I bought the car used and the alloys had some curb rash and I didnt think these were too bad.

Next job: Fix the bubbling tint on rear window. Used to be a kansas car. :|

edit: and try to push that dent out. any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Wind deflectors on my 2 door. :coal:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ive been removing the tint, since when I bought it it was already bubbling and turned purple. Shops want $129 for new tint, but they want almost the same to take it off, so I just decided to take it off myself. Its a bitch, but gently caress paying $125 for them to do it.

Ill try to take a middle, and after pic tomorrow.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PBCrunch posted:

Removing tint is pretty easy except for the back window with the defroster lines. I ended up cutting some lines in my rear defroster when I removed the lovely tiny on my ZX2. I tried fixing it with that defroster paint but it didn't end up working.

Spray the glass with harsh glass cleaner with ammonia. Tape plastic up over the glass cleaner so it can't evaporate. Wait a while then try to pull the tint material off. You might have better luck than I did because I tried this in the winter.
Yeah, the tint shop recommended just a regular glass cleaner and some tinfoil. It worked super well on the front windows, pretty well on the rear side windows and not so great on the back window. Mostly because it was too darn hard to reach near the bottom. Plus the doofuses that put the tint on put it over the 3rd brake light, so I had to spend a half hour figuring out how the hell that came off.

Finally done though, and I have an appointment for new tint at 12.

Whats the censuses for debaging? I want to get rid of the dealer emblem, and maybe the "Cutlass Supreme SL" part on the trunk. Hairdryer?

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 17, 2010

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Got my tint back, pretty happy with it.

Old tint: (which I had to remove)

New tint: (and wheels!)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Beach Bum posted:

You have the best looking modern Oldsmobile I have ever seen.

destructo posted:

I can't wrap my mind around thinking that your car actually looks nice. Maybe a museum will buy it from you :D
Im as surprised as you guys are that Im getting compliments for it! Thanks!

I hope this doesn't derail it too bad, but here are a few other pics from earlier today.

Cage fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 21, 2010

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PBCrunch posted:

I see that you have the 3.4L DOHC motor. I understand that those motors have belt-driven interference valve trains and that it is very difficult/expensive to replace a timing belt in one of those. Something to make sure to be aware of.
I really know nothing about cars more than basic maintenance. In fact, not even that I guess. I know how to change the oil, and replace the brakes.

Are you talking about the situation where if a belt breaks then the engine gets hosed? Or do you just mean its expensive just to replace them so you dont have a problem in the future?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Someone finds ugliness in that? I guess I find it hard to believe since Im such a sucker for 80s boxishness, but that car is hot.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I attempted to debadge it. The dealer emblem came off just fine, but "Cutlass Supreme SL" took off some paint with it so I had to put it back on. :(

Before:

ffffffffuuuuu:

Back on:

I wanted to fix the "m" on the Oldsmobile one too, but it has clear plastic over it, so I cant get to the painted part. :(:(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mr.Peabody posted:

Did you use dental floss and a hot air gun, or did you just pull on it?
A hairdryer, actually. I used it for a minute or so and just ran some dental floss back and forth. It kept breaking though, so use fishing line if you have it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mr.Peabody posted:

If the bond is strong enough to break floss, the epoxy is still bonded to the paint... which is what caused your paint to peel off. Don't use fishing line, or high tensile strength steel cables... It should be warm enough that it literally takes one smooth swipe and the letters pile off. With such old badges, you really want to make sure the epoxy is heated completely and throughly and a minute under the hair dryer is superficial at best.
All the youtube videos Ive seen never had the guy just make one smooth swipe. They all had to go back and forth just like I did.

Doesn't matter now, I kinda expected it to happen with a 15 year old car anyway. At least the dealer badge came off fine.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mr.Peabody posted:

I'm just speaking from my experience debadging my car, I can't speak for any Youtube videos.. but once the epoxy gets hot enough any bonding to the paint is really weak and my letters kinda popped off as I pulled across it. I didn't need any sawing motion. I know it's too late to worry about your car, I was just posting for posterity's sake.
Sorry for the attitude, Im just secretly mad and stubborn about my method. >:|

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ExecuDork posted:

After we got started, this very nice Skyline (GTR) showed up, owned by the ball-cap-wearing douchebag I've highlighted. When asked about his plans for the car, he replied "Nothing mechanical, yet. I want to really rice it up first. Body kit, lights, and yeah, that black cherry paint." I don't really mind the paint, but he's the first person I've ever met who actually wants to make a car more rice-y. :smugissar:
Nice image name, and yes what a giant fuckhead. That car looks perfect. Give it some tint and a wash and thats it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Beach Bum posted:

You don't belong in this picture, it's clearly a "silly wheels" picture and you are out of place.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Did an oil change on my 86 XT and ordered the parts for a front brake and CV axle job. I've procured a 45k mile passenger's seat from another XT to replace my busted driver's seat.

Subaru Drive magazine is following the restoration of my car's twin, I'm guessing they'll only run into difficulty sourcing interior parts and seat fabric. It's got horrific rust, no big deal.

http://drive.subaru.com/sum11_attic.aspx

http://drive.subaru.com/sum11_XTcoupe.aspx
Wow, when did you get your custom title? Your car is one of the coolest on the forum, some people have no respect.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Raw_Beef posted:

I feel bad for you with plastic headlights that get faded with time.
Sealed beam 4 lyfe.

I too get the pleasure of paying out the butt for new lights.

Not sure what those lights near the middle are though, those could use some restoring.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Back in the beginning of summer I posted in the stupid questions thread about how I might get my sunroof back in working order. The motor worked, but the wires went to a mystery box that somehow went bad and I didn't know quite enough to bypass the box completely. A kind goon pointed me to a diagram for a switch to invert the power, and long story short Ive finally been able to use my sunroof. I dont have working AC either, so it was a big help in the summer.

No pictures of the project because really it was pretty boring, but I did get one of the only decal Ive ever put on any of my four cars.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Viggen posted:

Is that backwards? Which way is the writing facing from below? :spergin:

I got the missing piece of windshield trim, pulled the three remaining snaps out, and with the two that were in it..
Backwards? You mean upside-down? The ears are pointing to the rear of the car, if thats what youre asking.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah I see the bat signal in the sky wherever I am. Its lame, but you dont really notice it unless youre in the car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Apologized to it after doing this:

Had no idea it was there. There was a lot of other tail light bits on the ground so that made me feel a tiny bit better, but I am pretty bummed. Couldve been worse though, the trunk still opens and locks and the bumper looked untouched.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Added louvers.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Replaced the shift knob.

My car came with an ergonomic leather one and I didnt really care for it much. This one makes shifting feel so much nicer. Sells for $60 and I got it for $20 since the guys car was totaled and he was selling what he could.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Astonishing Wang posted:

I scraped my tow hitch :(

Are those cragar soft 8s? Its silly, but I want those for my mustang. Everyone either has bullitts or cobra wheels.

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 6, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Went to drive the winter car up and down the street to get rid of the rust starting on the rotors and came out to find a dead battery. Its charging now but I should've checked that before I moved my license plates over.

Then I drove the mustang around in the wet but didnt have any fun because I had some coffee in the cup holder. :argh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Powershift posted:

Matte clear plastidip is your friend.

Is that the same car? The body is clear matted and the wheels sprayed with black? Thats kind of neat.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Falken posted:

Installed my new wheel.

Much nicer than the OEM Porsche one.
Did the OEM wheel have an airbag inside? Am I an idiot for wanting to switch out my steering wheel that has an airbag for something like that? I dont race it, I just dont like how the mustang wheel feels.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Sold it! :woop:

Well I didnt, but my brother lost his job a few weeks ago so I asked if he wanted to sell it. Had 2 people come look at it and the 2nd one just dropped off a deposit.

Bought the car almost 5 years ago for $1950, backed into a telephone pole earlier this year, and now Im selling it for $1300. Not a bad deal.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Chinatown posted:

Having my side windows retinted from 50% to 20%. It was just too light and my 330ci has pretty large windows so eh it was time. Now I can pick my nose in privacy thank you very much.
My old car had 35% tint and within 2 weeks of getting a job at my university I got a ticket from the campus police. I wanted to sell the car, and I did but now Im scared of even getting 50% on my new car since only 75% is legal here in NY. When I was sitting there waiting for the cop to write me a ticket I started counting cars with tint darker than mine, I stopped once I hit 20.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I prepared my mustang for winter driving. Smaller and narrower wheels to save $ on tires, brand new winter tires, sandbags in the trunk and some winterized wiper blades.

As long as Im easy on the throttle its like Im on rails. At red lights I left FWD cars in the snow dust. The biggest issue so far is other people. They see a RWD car and think Im going to spin out, so theyll move to the center lane where theres more snow and they barely keep it straight going past me.

Actually, since the car is lowered a bit I have to watch out for those big chunks of ice that fall off in the middle of the road. Do they uh, make skid plates for mustangs?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Speaking of that, whats a good way to properly record an exhaust note if all one has is an ipod touch? Sit it in my dash phone holder and roll the windows down? Prop it up somehow on the side of the road and drive by a couple times? I'd like to get in-gear audio instead of just revving in neutral.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not my ride, but a few weeks ago I picked up a OBDII blutooth adapter since I finally picked up an android device recently (nook). Well my nook didnt like to pair with it, so I had to wait for an SD card to be shipped to me so that I could dual-boot a plain old android OS. Works great, so now I can finally use Torque and see how bad my MPG is. Also it can apparently time your 0-60? Awesome.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Man, that rock would wreck my car. I cant even drive over snow chunks 1/3 that size.

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 12, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

After years without owning a sports car I finally could take it no more, and yesterday I purchased a used Z06. So what I did to my ride today was remove the bimode exhaust fuse to make it loud and then hit every roundabout and freeway onramp in town for about 2 hours straight. Now I'm trying to do household chores and it's just sitting there in the driveway, begging for more. That G meter is taunting me right now.
:getin:

So as not to get probation, even though it would've been worth it, I really miss taking onramps and such with the windows down. Still sounds good with the windows up, but its another story with them down. I had a taste yesterday since it was above 50 degrees but its back to 25 today, drat it.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 15, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Put in some stock, or more stock-like headlights. The halos are neat at night, but in the daytime I thought the lights ruined the look of the car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Chinatown posted:

Much better. Hows the light projection difference?
Sooo much better. I tested it out in my driveway and it was almost like I didnt have real lights before. The old ones were smoked and dirty on the inside though, they were on it when I bought the car. They also would get some moisture on the inside lens when it rained which cant be good for anything.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Summer tires were put back on, and I replaced the big heavy things inside of them. Now you have a better look at my rusty calipers.

Sorry about the bad cloning and burning done here, I was just trying to get rid of a big ugly finger.

edit: For reference, my old wheels

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 22, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Is that salt on the door? Where do you live that salt is still on the roads?

And yeah, welcome to the "cant keep a black car clean" club.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You kinda drive a poop wagon.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dropped it off at a buddys house so that he can deal with it. I have a leak at my exhaust flange gasket, so I bought a new one and when I was taking the nuts off I found a nice stripped mess of a thread. I am ok at doing brakes and taking nuts off stuff but I felt that this was above my talent since you have to take the manifold off to get enough room to put new ones on.

Found out that Im supposed to adjust my clutch every 3k miles and I did that today, so at least I fixed one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That looks really good!