Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Best implementation of bolts hands down goes to Volvo; they've got a small stud sticking out of the hub between the bolt holes, with a corresponding set of holes on the rim. The stud and the hub together let the wheel hang just like a studded hub, so you can thread the bolts in easily. Best part is they're 19mm instead of 17mm, so I can use the numerous 19/21 flip sockets instead of hunting around the shop for a 17mm socket.

This might be a really dumb question, but how does this work with non-Volvo wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Why are the doors on the Bronco rattling so goddamned much? I can't hear all the other rattles over the sound of the doors when blasting down dirt roads.

Oh. Two trips to O'Reilly's later (one to get the bushings, and one to get a T50 impact bit when I realized I had not even close to a torx bit that size).

Very satisfying.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Replaced the battery.

Not a pain in the rear end at all, nope

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

First/second gen Cayenne. The kicker is that you need to operate the power seat in both directions in order to get to the battery......forwards to get to the rear rails to take off, backwards to undo the bolts in the front, then forwards as you flip the seat up on the hings so it opens all the way. So if it's totally dead you need to hook up a jump box to the posts under the hood and hope the battery isn't like internally shorted kinda dead.

This is a Touareg but yeah. It’s annoying but not that big a deal to turn a 2 minute job into a 20 minute one when it’s this many years between having to do it

Anyway, it’s for sale! I’m sure someone wants an old luxury-esque offroad sleeper, right?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Ahhh, a Cayenne LWB.

That is the good part - the battery is the size one would put into a piece of construction equipment so they do seem to last a long time even with the 2000s german "standby" parasitic draw.

Am I misunderstanding or are you thinking of the Q7? Touareg is the same length as the Cayenne; Q7 was the three-row

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Today I became the PO.

Down to 5 vehicles

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Not the bitchin' white car I hope?

Nope. Wife and I are in agreement that the Firebird, RS4, and Bronco are toys/forever vehicles and don’t count. Yesterday I finally sold the F150 (replaced by F350 we got for truck camper duty), and am also selling the Touareg, we adopted a third dog and she wanted a three row, narrowed it down to a Yukon. That shipped this morning, apparently.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Winter wheels and tires. In tshirt weather, naturally.

Relearned tpms and tirerack had them at 75 psi, a bit over double where they should be

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

opengl posted:

Car-adjacent (hey I tow it with my car!) just wrapped up a new trailer build for bike hauling duty.

Last year I was running a little 4x6, it was just barely long enough for my 390.

With plans for a bigger track bike and wanting to be able to haul my other bikes should I need to, I sold that and picked up a 4x8. It was cheap because it came with a boat and nobody wanted to buy both. I was able to sell the boat pretty quickly so I'm only into the trailer for $100. I like these little utility trailers, they're nice and low so loading isn't sketchy, and light too which is important since I tow with my old Vibe.

It was a bare frame, no floor which is what I wanted anyway so I could build it up just how I wanted. Not in bad shape overall, just some light surface rust and as usual for used trailers, junk wiring and lights.

Stripped off the lights and wiring and gave it a quick wire wheel/spray bomb

Rebuilt the coupler (which was also junk and barely worked) and added a jack

Rewired and new LED tails/marker lights

New deck on, went with 5/4 pressure treated deck boards. Used carriage bolts at the front and rear and wood to metal screws at the crossmembers

Wrapping up: bolted down a wheel chock and plenty of e-track so I'm not married to any tie down points

Made the inaugural run last night picking up my new track bike, it towed great and the bike was rock solid

I still have a few little things to tidy up but it's more or less ready for track season.

Similarly car adjacent and much less nice, I finally got the kick in the rear end I needed to make my cheapo HF trailer actually capable of hauling things so I can do so when my camper is in the truck, when a friend a few miles away needed my snowblowing help. Registered (pro tip: go to the DMV during a blizzard and you can get in and out in 7 minutes) added some single e-track slots, then added some snowmobile specifics after I was done using the snowblower.

I’m also more or less winging this so if anything looks horribly awry or stupid don’t be shy about saying so.

I also drove this other car a bit in/after said blizzard and have not washed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

opengl posted:

I actually almost got one of those HF trailers before the one I bought popped up. I've heard they're a bit of a wet noodle unless you weld them up, confirm/deny?

I have only towed it empty and with a ~300 lb snowblower on it, and that with a lifted Bronco. I have no idea based on that experience, to be honest. It seems reasonably sturdy right now with the 3/4" plywood bolted onto it, at least for any load I plan to put on it (mainly the sled)

Darchangel posted:

Little bit, yeah. There are a few different weight classes, too. The biggest gripe I have is that they are 4' x 8'. Exactly, since they are designed to use a single 4x8 sheet as the deck. That means that if you have sides and a tailgate on it, hauling more 4x8 sheets is a pain in the rear end. The one I used to borrow, the friend that owned it ended up spacing the supplied stake pockets out about 1/2" with wood blocks, and just leaving a small gap between the sides and the deck all the way around. Not only allowed 4x8 sheets, but you could sneak a tie down through the gap and hook it on the frame down low for shorter stuff with the sides on.

I got the beefiest one, so that might have something to do with it. I haven't put sides on it, and don't plan to, so have no direct experience but they are at least on the sides of the trailer so they should fit 4x8 sheets if I put up sides as long as they weren't built to the inside of the stake pockets, though probably a tight fit.