Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Cleaned and re-oiled the K&N filter
Installed the replacement overhead console to replace the one I hosed up
Popped in a piece of dash trim I'd thought I lost... but found under the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I traded mine in for an '09 G8 GT. Once I get my camera back I'll post a thread.

mcvey, I still have a couple of parts from my old GTP that you might want. Email me at darkan@gmail.com if you're interested.

Good choice, what color?

Had mine a little over a month now and love the poo poo out of it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

The two tone interior is awesome, that's the only thing I wish mine had but black/red wouldn't look so hot in a blue car.

Check out g8board.com if you want, good information over there.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

About 2 years ago a bird poo poo on my car and I didn't get it off before it left a mark on the clear coat. It was on the spoiler. I recently bought a buffer so I whipped out the clay bar, polish and wax and fixed the problem. Can't tell it was even there now.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I installed the spare wheel/tire and jack kit I bought to replace the idiotic air compressor/sealant combo that Pontiac put in the G8 GTs. I wish I had thought to do that before I got a flat a few weeks ago.

Did you get it from JHP? I have been thinking about getting one myself.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I got the wheel/tire from a guy on grrrr8.net and the jack kit from Pace Performance. The jack kit and their oil change special were my first purchases from Pace, and I'm pretty happy with them.

Thanks for the info. I had been on Pace's site before looking for the rear lower bumper piece from the GXP (no mesh). Don't know anyone that has actually ordered from there so I was a little leery.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Got a Superchips Cortex tuner for the G8. It doesn't add much power, but it allowed me to deactivate the DOD (No more horrible drone on the highway) and tweak the torque management settings so the transmission shifts more like a performance car. All in all, I'm very satisfied.

I saw a huge difference in power on mine with the 93 performance tune, 50% torque management, and shift points raised. Which tune did you use?

Guys are getting 10-15 wheel horsepower out of the 93 performance tune.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I used the 91 tune because we can't get 93 here. I did however set the torque to 50%, and raised the 1-2 shift by 250 rpm. Like I said, I haven't felt a lot of power yet, but I love the way it shifts. And maybe a little more power will come after the tune 'settles' in a day or two.

Is your car otherwise stock?

It should take a few days of normal driving while the ECM relearns your driving habits. With a CAI, axle backs and the aforementioned settings my car will bark the tires on the 1-2 shift with Stabilitrak turned on.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Yeah, it's otherwise stock. I had the cash for the tuner, or for an intake. I chose the tuner for now. I'm probably going with the Vararam when I get some more cash saved up.

Yeah the Vararam is really nice. The best one for these cars for sure.

Also did you update your tuner online before you tuned the car? If not you should - the v121 tune was a big jump from the previous ones.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

BabyJesus posted:

My 197bhp Honda Civic can chirp 2nd and 3rd, whats your point?

Admittedly, this was on the stock Michelins. I've put a new set of Goodyear Eagle GTs and I doubt it could do it now on the 2->3 shift.

Your 197bhp Honda Civic probably has a manual, and doesn't weigh 4000 pounds with 19" Potenzas on it either.

Or have a torque management program that makes the car shift soft as poo poo stock so the transmission can live longer.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I went from this.

to this.

K&N claims an 11 HP increase to the rear wheels. I don't know if it's making more power, but oh my god the noise. It's fantastic!

Nice! I hadn't seen the K&N installed before. Looks good. The noise is definitely well worth it!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I was going for the Rotofab, but Maryland Speed had the K&N for $279.99 with free shipping. I just couldn't beat the price. A couple of weeks ago Superchips came out with a Cortex tune with the K&N installed. It definitely pulls harder than before, although I can't say how much more power it's making.

Maryland Speed is a great shop. I ordered my Cortex with them as well. I actually have an intake from a company called Jetttstream, and their intake is the same design as the AFE full CAI, so I am running the Superchips AFE tune right now. I switched it back to 87 for the winter though.

The Rotofab is a nice intake but it is really overpriced. I can't see paying $400+ for something that might make a difference of 1 or 2 hp if anything at all.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Tremek posted:

Nice. I was eyeing a Vararam auction on Ebay last week that ended at $305 shipped, but I'm still torn on what intake to go with regardless. I will likely couple a tune with this as well... Finally have someone interested in my old AccessPoint. You should make a recording of your new ferociousness. :devil:

The other over the radiator intake, the one by New Era, has had some problems with water pooling in the intake if the car sits in hard rains. A couple people have had ruined engines as a result. I haven't heard the same of the Vararam yet but I don't know if I'd chance it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Changed the oil in my G8, first time doing this car myself. The first change was free from the dealer. It takes a while for 8.8 quarts of oil to drain!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Got a 2.5" stainless x-pipe installed on my G8, and also got the muffler shop to build a heimholtz resonator in front of each muffler to kill the horrible 100hz drone on the highway.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

On the G8 I had the Heimholtz resonators shortened because I'm an idiot and did the math wrong at first. Totally works now and killed the annoying 120hz drone I was getting at 65-70mph on the highway.

On my other car (2001 Grand Prix) I found that the front valve cover gasket is leaking, which is a common thing with those cars. At least the gaskets are cheap, and it'll give me something to do.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I'm not sure about the 01's, but my 98 was part of the engine fire recall which involved that valve cover gasket. Is yours covered?

It is. The recall removes the two black spark plug retainer brackets and zip ties the plug wires out of the way, but in most cases they don't replace the gasket under the recall.

I'd just as soon do it myself considering how rear end backwards redneck terrible my local Pontiac dealership is.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Hacked together a cable for the auxiliary input that allows the stock head unit to play video. Only when the car is moving less than 5mph. But it will be nice for car shows.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Both outer tie rod ends.

New PCV valve, new air filter.

Screwed around with my idle air control valve, now my cel is on, oops.

Changed my supercharger oil.

175000 mile old supercharger oil. Mmmm.

I bet that smelled really nice. Supercharger oil is some vile poo poo.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Changed the oil in MY GIRLFRIEND's 03 Focus.

I love that Ford decided to put the filter above the axle so that it's hard to get to and also impossible to not get oil everywhere.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Stripped off my ten year old tint, swapped too dark tinted tails for stock, and replaced am broken sway bar end link.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Changed the valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires and oil.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Figured out that when I Blew a cv boot on my grand prix that it threw axle grease up and into an opening on the coolant overflow tank which of course let it in to the cooling system. The inside of the radiator cap was all gummed up with it. Hello coolant flush!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

The boot grEase was all over the inside of the coolant bottle around the opening, and all up the side of the bottle leading up to the opening. Just changed the oil and it didn't look like chocolate milk like I was told it would if it wa the head gasket. Who knows though.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I never Realized it, but the interior of the Pontiac G8 is startlingly similar to whatever car DropShadow has.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Upgraded the front brakes on my Grand Prix to 12" Impala rotors.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Installed SLP Firehawk springs on my G8 GT.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Since Monday I have:

Changed air filter
Flushed coolant
Bled brakes
Changed transmission fluid and filter
Changed transfer case fluid
Changed front and rear differential fluid
Installed new headlight housings
Polished the paint and ceramic coated it
Repaired the broken mounting rail on my tonneau cover

On my other truck I scraped the flaking paint off be roof so I can eventually re paint it, removed the plastidip on the dash covering an old repair from the dash being cracked, and started chasing wiring issues to get both taillights and third brake light working. I also broke the hazard light switch so I'll be replacing that and the turn signal lever in the next couple days.

Productive week.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Audi?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Jymmybob posted:

You monster. Porsche Macan in Martini livery

I know what it is but the post said Audi which is why I questioned it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

A lot of GM vehicles have cladding like that as well

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Speaking of Evap codes I’ve got one I’m going to have to address on a 2001 Grand Prix. The code is P0442 which is a small leak. It’s not the gas cap. How do I even begin troubleshooting this? Moving to a state with emissions testing so it’ll have to be fixed before I can register it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

You need to wet sand those taillights, spray several coats of clear, wet sand some more and then cut/buff them and they will look 600% better.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

While working in the ambulance for the past four years, we almost smashed the gently caress out of cars like that at night while we were zooming along. And a much higher percentage than average of the rear-end accidents we came on had smoked taillights involved.

I believe that anything over the top of the red (if tinted) or clear (if LED) plastic cover to the taillight should be illegal. Punishable by high insurance rates from being rear-ended constantly.

It is illegal in most places.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I traded my 2011Sierra Denali with 153,xxx miles in on a supercharged 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT with 33,xxx miles and every option you could get.

It is very fun for an SUV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Changed the oil in it for the first time. I like that Dodge puts a little built in tune/funnel thing for the oil to drain down when you remove the filter. I don’t like that there are a bunch of lines all around the oil filter which makes it tough to get to with anything other than a filter socket; of course the people at Valvoline who the previous owner used tightened the filter way too tight so I had to really fight to get it off. Oh well, job done (2014 Grand Cherokee SRT)