Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Last weekend was window motor and regulator. Tomorrow is blower motor. Maybe a radiator flush if I'm feeling saucy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Money Walrus posted:

I'm about to do both on a Volvo 740. I've been putting off the blower mother and regulator for so long since I hate drilling out rivets and the fan is supposed to be a bitch. Any advice?

This afternoon I'm about to do a tranny flush and install a tranny cooler, and when I lose the light it's time to work on rebuilding my new turbo.

Not sure, I have a Grand Prix, so all I need to worry about is having every metric and US sockets, as well as all the sets of Philips, Flat, and Torx screwdrivers.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Good News: Replaced my blower motor in 30 minutes.

Bad News: Noticed a slight drip of coolant coming into the cabin from the heater core.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

Tore apart the passenger door on the Vette, trying to figure out why the window only worked intermittently.

I thought it might be corrosion on the motor because it seemed to work more frequently when it was humid out.

Turns out, it is the motor, slowly giving up the ghost. The window goes down just fine, but when it come time to push the window back up again, the motor is straining and get really hot.

Also finished the install on the rear security deck on my Jeep, finished the re-install of the exhaust on my Sportster.

Now I just have to either buy some jackstands or find someplace who will do a spring/shock swap on the Jeep for cheap. I have the springs and shocks, just need to get them installed.

Make sure it isn't the regulator as well, or replace the regulator also if you can. I just did this on my Grand Prix a few weeks ago, except mine seemed to work less when it was humid out. Same problem though, went down fine, had all kinds of issues going back up. I bought just a motor and it worked for a few days until completely locking up in the down position. I got a new regulator and now it works better than the other side.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

Where is the regulator? Not in the door on my 95.

The regulator is the thing that the window rides up and down on. The motor moves the regulator. They either sell the motor and regulator together, or separately. I tried to save some money by just doing the motor, but that ended up screwing me in the end.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Refilled my windshield washer fluid. :c00lbert:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Refilled my windshield washer fluid. :c00lbert:

Noticed that my windshield washer fluid bottle has a leak. :argh:

Also,
Replaced both headlights because one was out. Why don't these ever go out at the same time? I know you're supposed to replace both because they're supposed to fail at near similar times, but I don't like to throw things out that work, so now I have a small collection of used but still working headlights.

And replaced one fog light because one was out, even though I never really use the fog lights.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was there a few months ago. At first I tried epoxy but I couldn't find the leak accurately and it doesn't seem to work on ABS plastic anyway.

Then I figured I'd just pop out the tank and replace it. GM wraps the air intake around the washer fluid bottle, which necessitates partial removal of the battery, fender liner, left front wheel and fusebox, and has a one-way rubber fastener between the washer bottle and the intake's vapor reservoir that's permanently fused at build time. It tears if you try and move the intake around too much, such as trying to separate the intake from the washer bottle.

I ended up grabbing an entirely new assembly from a Sunfire, only to find their washer filler neck is inexplicably 1/4" longer and rubs on my hood. :sigh:

e: Here's a really awful diagram:

Mine is stupid and under the battery and behind the headlight, but on the right side. Hooray GM. I hope it doesn't involve removing wheels and fenders.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

- Replaced broken heater core
- New thermostat, housing gasket, and water outlet gasket
- New radiator cap
- Radiator flush with one of those hook your garden hose up to your car kits

Let me tell you the worst thing about replacing your heater core. It is finding a pair of pliers that fit between the engine and the fire wall and under the air conditioning lines and between various other hoses so you can access those horrible squeeze type hose clamps that hold the hoses onto the heater core.

Holy gently caress. I ended up just pulling on the hoses really hard until they came off. Getting them back on wasn't as much of an issue because I could angle the squeeze parts so that it wasn't that bad. Though, after I finished, I realized I had a whole drawer full of the screw type hose clamps.

Things that I learned:
- Plastic petcocks are loving stupid.
- Buckets catch antifreeze better than oil drip pans.
- People at Advanced Auto know a whole lot more than the people at Pep Boys, like that "the rubber o-ring that goes on the thermostat" is called a "water outlet gasket."
- The rubber o-ring that goes on the thermostat is called the water outlet gasket.
- Hose clamps are annoying.

Things that I am still confused about:
- I may be running 30% antifreeze / 70% water.
- Some of that water may still be hose water.

I drained the hose water and filled with distilled, ran the engine, then drained that. I'm not 100% positive that every time I drained, I was draining everything. When you open the petcock, is the engine supposed to be warm? Running? Not running?

Things that I broke:
- The plastic petcock.
- A metal clip that connects to the body and the center console screws into fell somewhere into the body under the floor.
- My HUD is now in KPH instead of MPH, and my trip computer/car status display is not lit up. I forgot to plug something back in.

The good news is that nothing is leaking. The engine doesn't get too hot. When it does get warm, the fans come on and it actually cools down now.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 13, 2009

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

Last time I saw something like that was a truck with a siren/PA system on it. It was wired directly with speaker wire and wire nuts with no relays. Nothing like a few amps going through a dashboard switch.

:ughh:

What if I wire nutted and then electrical taped all around the nut and wires?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Since my car decided not to start last weekend, today I:

- changed oil
- replaced PCV valve
- replaced fuel filter (thank god for PB Blaster)
- completely cleaned the interior
- quick exterior wash

Still terrified of changing my spark plugs.

edit- Forgot to mention that I replaced the burnt out lights in my trip computer display.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 26, 2009

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I used to be able to charge up my AC every few weeks before it leaked out again, but it wont take a charge anymore. I think its dead for real now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fixed my cupholder that I broke when I sat on it. JB Weld Putty and a nail I found in my garage. I lost the spring which swings it open, but it still works fine. The best part is that the putty is the same exact color as the plastic.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 29, 2009

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pulled my windshield washer fluid bottle to find the leak. Leak was coming from the pump. The pump still pumps, and I'm not about to go buy a $30 pump, so I used JB Weld Putty to make a shell around the pump. Now it does not leak.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Replaced the battery in my keyfob because I have to be a foot from the car for it to work. Turns out I can now be 2 feet away and my keyfob/car sucks.

Also ordered a new set of wires for my trunk because it wont pop with either the interior button or the keyfob button. It stopped working one day after I crammed a bunch of stuff in there. All the connections are connected, so we shall see if a new harness works.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Set out to do all of my struts, but found that Rockauto had sent me 2 Left Rear struts. So I called them and I am returning one of those in exchange for a right one.

I did the front struts, which would have taken 20 minutes per side since I was just replacing everything with Quick Struts, but my sway bar link bolts were rusted to hell.

The first one broke in half.

I got it out with some Robogrip.

Since it broke, I needed a new one. Advanced Auto only had one left in stock, but I figured I should get 2 and do both sides, so I went to Pep Boys to get a second. Moog looked like it was better quality, but they cost the same price.

The other side was in one piece, but still rusted, and the bushings were horrible anyway. I hit it with PB Blaster, a blow torch until the bushing caught on fire, and several hammers. Eventually I destroyed it enough to get it out.

This is my awesome breaker bar of justice.

The car is definitely higher on the front end.

Overall it was an easy job aside from the rusted bolts. However, my control arm bushings look like poo poo, and my tie rod end boots are also in poor condition.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ziploc posted:

My sister has a FWD V6 GM car and hers broke too. I personally think that design is a retarded way to connect a sway bar to a control arm.

Honestly, it is retarded. There's that hollow plastic spacer in between the bushings there, and it was full of bits of gravel for some reason. I imagine that water would collect and sit in there, causing it to rust, which is why it broke at that point. The one on the other side was all rusted in, and I just smashed the plastic piece off with a hammer. The replacement parts had a metal spacer that slid snugly over the bolt.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Took it for an alignment because I just did all the struts and everything was crooked.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Removed my subwoofer. It would have been cool to have something so obnoxious back in highschool, but now its just obnoxious. It's funny how once you have money to do things, you don't care about those things anymore. It was mostly just a 'see if I could do it' project, built from various eBay parts. I never really secured it in the trunk properly, and it took up too much room anyway. I guess I'll sell it and use the money to upgrade my front speakers since I blew one out.

However, I do still have a power line running to the trunk. I unhooked it from the battery and taped up the ends. Any electrical devices I should install in my trunk?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TAG BODY SPRAY posted:

Cellphone Jammer

Good idea, but then it also jams my own phone.

Xovaan posted:

I'd say if you had the money, get a great sounding sub back there again. Subs really fill out music.

In fact, that's gonna be my project in a few weeks. :ohdear:

It was a 12" sub, and it did really fill out the music and let me feel the music as well, but it took up about 1/4 of the trunk. Maybe something small that would give the music some depth? I don't know. I really prefer the trunk space.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CornHolio posted:

synthetic, duh. The stuff made from melted sunbeams and with a 90% photon density.

Synthetic is fine, but on older headlights you want to go with conventional.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Programmed a new keyfob that I got on eBay. Now I can lock/unlock my car from more than 2 feet away.

Car computer systems are so goofy. Remove fuse, turn the key to accessory mode, wait for dings, turn key to off then back to accessory, open and shut door, wait for ding.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I swear, if I had to do all of this because of a crooked seal in the airbox around the heater core....

Work in progress.

edit

Note the white blend door on the right side. Note that the left side it is not there.

Oh hooray, cracked plastic gear in the blend door motor.

This part is $126 on Rockauto, holy poo poo. Honestly, I want to get this back together today. Let's try gorilla gluing that gear back together.

More info http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,41201.0.html

edit edit - Gorilla glue did not work. I don't consider it lost time however. I had no way to get to the store to buy quick set epoxy. Now I have epoxy. If this doesnt work, then gently caress it, I'll manually close the blend door so that I have heat. Its winter and that's all I need anyway.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 16, 2009

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I had to pull my dash apart to do the heater core, and I put in a new blend door actuator while I had it apart because before my heater core exploded, I had nothing but heat.

Got everything back together and there aren't any leaks, but the motherfucking blend door isn't moving, and it's stuck on cold. I've got to pull the dash off again and figure out what the hell is wrong. What makes it particularly horrible is the only way to test is to put the dash back together, and if I don't fix it the first time..

I was able to plug in my HVAC control unit without the dash to test things. Are you able to do that?

Anyway, I ran out of daylight. I don't have time to put it back together until tomorrow. I hope I remember where everything goes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I swear, if I had to do all of this because of a crooked seal in the airbox around the heater core....

Work in progress.

edit

Note the white blend door on the right side. Note that the left side it is not there.

Oh hooray, cracked plastic gear in the blend door motor.

This part is $126 on Rockauto, holy poo poo. Honestly, I want to get this back together today. Let's try gorilla gluing that gear back together.

More info http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,41201.0.html

edit edit - Gorilla glue did not work. I don't consider it lost time however. I had no way to get to the store to buy quick set epoxy. Now I have epoxy. If this doesnt work, then gently caress it, I'll manually close the blend door so that I have heat. Its winter and that's all I need anyway.

Reassembled this mess. Is it common for cars to have extra wire harnesses that don't connect to anything? I found a couple that never were connected, and had nothing to connect to. I ended up with an extra screw that goes somewhere, but it's all back together so who cares. And I lost the retainer clips that the bolts for the center console go into somewhere down into the body of the car. So the center console is only half bolted in.

Regardless, epoxying the gear worked, sorta. The gear held together but the epoxy was too thick for it to work properly. So it only works half way. So what I ended up doing was switching the driver's side and passenger side actuators. Now the driver's side works, but the passenger side doesn't. This isn't a problem, however, because I can access the passenger side actuator simply by removing the glove compartment. Which is a shitload easier than taking the whole interior out of the car to get to the driver's side actuator. And apparently this actuator is in every GM car from the last 12 years that has automatic climate control. So its easy to find despite being a ridiculous $125 for a new one.

So at some point I'll hit up a junkyard, grab a new actuator and some of those clips for the center console.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

New front valve cover gasket.

Also my tire was losing pressure. A day or two after, it would drop down to around 25 psi. Took it to the tire place. The rim was corroded, they sanded it and sealed it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

I continued my tint removal project. Removing the tint a square inch at a time from the back window while trying not to gouge the defroster lines really sucks rear end.

My front driver's side window is now free of tint and adhesive. I have about half of the back glass free of tint but there is still adhesive all over it. I have been going outside and spraying the tint with ammonia-based window cleaner every hour in an effort to weaken the remaining tint and adhesive.

Remember kids: life is too short for lovely window tint. Pay for the good stuff and have it installed at a reputable shop with a lifetime warranty and a history of stable management.

Does Goo Gone work on tint adhesive, or will it just gently caress everything up?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

No idea. The ammonia-based window cleaner that I bought at the dollar store is doing a pretty good job of weakening the adhesive. It is definitely doing a much better job than the "Tint Adhesive Remover" I bought at O'Reilly's for six bucks.

The tint on the side windows in the back seat came off real clean with no delamination.

The only thing I'd be worried about with something like Goo Gone is that maybe with cheaper tint the plastic could melt.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It was the first weekend day in several weeks that it didn't rain or snow.

- About 2 years ago I had bought replacement headlight housings off of eBay. They didn't really fit well and had a weird light pattern, but it was better than the clouded old original lights. Last year I had restored the corroded ones, and finally today I put them back in. Gonna sell the other ones on Craigslist or something.

- Changed oil.

- Wire brushed rusty areas on my sub frame. Cleaned it all off and spray painted it with rustoleum.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Installed a set of Michelin Radius wiper blades. Not sure how they compare to the RainX Lattitude or Bosch ones, but at $13 each, the price may be worth it compared to the $18-$20 for the other brands.

Also I keep forgetting that there is a little button that releases the old blades, and I smashed my finger pretty good pulling the old ones out.

Also confirmed that I broke my rear passenger side ABS sensor when an errant hammer swing struck it. So that means a new hub/bearing/ABS sensor all in one unit. Probably going to hold off on this because I'll need an alignment afterward, and I have to do tie rod ends, and might as well do sway bar bushings while I'm at it, and the control arm bushings are on their way out too, so probably rebuild the entire suspension so I only have to get one alignment.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 17, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It is. The recall removes the two black spark plug retainer brackets and zip ties the plug wires out of the way, but in most cases they don't replace the gasket under the recall.

I'd just as soon do it myself considering how rear end backwards redneck terrible my local Pontiac dealership is.

I took my 98 in a few months ago and they did the gasket. Took about 30 minutes at the dealership. Now I get lots of flyers in the mail telling me to buy a new car.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Took the day off from work.

Went down to the auto body shop to get the head unit out of my sister's totaled car before they hauled it off.

Then I replaced my rear wheel bearing hub units. Oh look, the factory shop manual says to just undo 4 bolts and I'm free. Oh look, so does the Haines manual. Oh look, you have to take off the parking brake poo poo before you can do that and then everything is rusted together.

Many hours later, I have ABS again.

Also I hate parking brakes a lot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got the back windows tinted

Fixed the regulator in the driver door. Don't buy the cheapest part you can find because it's likely from China and does not work properly. I bought a reputable part for not much more than the crap I had in there and now my window works again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Both outer tie rod ends.

New PCV valve, new air filter.

Screwed around with my idle air control valve, now my cel is on, oops.

Changed my supercharger oil.

175000 mile old supercharger oil. Mmmm.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mobius1B7R posted:

GP GTP?

Yep.

Today:

Spark plugs

And the CEL turned itself off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mobius1B7R posted:

How's it been for you? I just got one. What are the problem areas?

My dad had bought it used from a dealer with around 30k miles on it, I bought it from him around 130k miles. I really wouldn't say it's had any problems you wouldn't see on any other 12 year old car with 175k miles on it. Just regular wear and tear I guess. After 100k miles and up, things that have been replaced on this were starter, alternator, air conditioner, heater core, thermostat, blower motor, window motor/regulator, struts, wheel bearings, outer tie rod ends. The auto dimming rear view mirror cracked inside and all of the liquid crystal goop leaked out. The automatic trunk pop button hasn't worked for a while, still trying to figure that one out. Normal stuff for an old daily driver.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The air conditioning on the driver's side just started working out of nowhere, so I performed magic on my car today. I figure the stupid plastic gear in the blend door actuator got all retarded again and I'm probably going to have to take the dashboard off again if I want heat this winter.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was driving home and my car died and lost all power in the middle of the road. I didn't get out of the car because that road is busy. I called the police. They wanted to push me off the road, but I had put my car in park and couldn't get it to neutral because I had no electricity. So I convinced the cop to let me open the hood and screw with my battery.

So I'm retarded.

I had taken my subwoofer out a while ago, but I had left the power cable still in the car. I had detached it from the battery and secured it to a brace with electrical tape. The heat made the tape unwind and lose its sticking ability. The metal end connector of the wire hit the battery terminal and shorted and melted the terminal. I messed with the wire, got enough electricity to get it to neutral, and the cop pushed me into a parking lot.

My girlfriend came and got me, we went to Pep Boys and I got a new part for $2. I installed the new terminal in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot because I keep tools in my car. I secured the subwoofer cable with more tape and drove home. Then I secured the cable with zip ties.

The end.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 16, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That reminds me that I need some car pliers.

This thing is awesome and compact though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The sprinkler system at my condo complex has been spraying shitwater all over my car, leaving a residue that will not come off. I've washed it numerous times, nothing has worked.

Click here for the full 1600x957 image.

So I got some scratch remover/polish. I did the windows by hand, now I can see properly. I'll take it to my dad's at some point and get the rest of the car with a buffer.