Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Try Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. Make sure it's wet. You'll be amazed.

I did, actually. Did nothing. I don't know what this stuff is. I've used car wash, windex, 409, Kaboom!, magic eraser. I don't know what CLR would do to my paint, so I'm not attempting that. The only thing to work is the scratch remover. I guess it needs something abrasive to get it off.

edit - vvvvvvvvv Vinegar, there's an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Why haven't you bottled some and gotten it tested? There's no way it's healthy if it's this crazy on glass and clearcoat. I think the condo people owe you on this.

To be honest, I should have, but it hasn't happened since the beginning of August. I completely missed the opportunity to get a sample. It's come off the windshield where the wipers go, but not anywhere else.

Geoj posted:

"You shouldn't have parked your car so close to the sprinkler system."

They're either running the sprinklers off of a really bad well (bad as in there's some chemical plant/gas well/mine nearby leeching poo poo into the water table) or they have some kind of automatic fertilizer injection system plugged into it.

Right, these people are notoriously difficult to get any information out of. I'll be on it if it happens again. I'm not even sure why they ran those sprinklers in the first place. There's no grass or flowers or anything there, it's a mulch area with nothing but trees.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

First wash and wax. Also 303 Aerospace'd the interior parts and headlights.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got some 17% Viper tint installed. Keeping it legal, back half only.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There's no light in the back of these Subarus, so I installed some Hella warm white courtesy lights.

See new light compared to stock at the bottom.

Full album
http://imgur.com/a/VyVTd

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wash, claybar, Sonax Polymer Netshield. Was going to wax on top of that, but the sun just came out and its hotter than July out there. Might wax it tonight if it doesn't thunderstorm, or maybe in the morning tomorrow, or maybe next week. This Sonax stuff is supposed to last 6 months - it definitely makes the paint darker and shinier, but doesn't cover up the fine marks on the clearcoat like wax does. Also the finish isn't glass smooth like wax, but more "grippy," I don't know how to explain it. And the pollen is in full effect right now, I'm pretty sure I have pollen molecularly bonded to my paint for the next 6 months.

Oh and before that changed the oil, air filter, and cabin filter.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 10, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

blindjoe posted:

I did the netshield on my white car, and missed a few places to polish off. It makes a nice base for the grime to stick to.

Not sure what to do about that, probably just leave it until the netshield washes off.

I didn't really like it, its like rain-x for your paint. Maybe I was putting it on wrong? I also got overspray all over my windows, so now they are rain-xed too. It looks funny on the black sections. It looks really good on the plastic parts. Would do well on a pontiac I guess.

I was doing it in small sections and buffing it out with a microfiber immediately after application. It buffed clear, but I've read if you let it dry it will be impossible to buff out without reapplying. My car is black, it made the black deeper, similar to waxing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Did some upholstering with a couple of these floor mats. I wanted something waterproof and tough without spending $150+ on oem stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Took the amp out because it started going crazy. Crosspost http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520908&pagenumber=38&perpage=40#post440967053

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It was warm enough so I did a wash and quick wax. Its annoying to clean around the side molding on the doors, but its protected me from at least 4 dings. gently caress people who open their doors into other cars.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Put the original grille back on, realized I would never get around to or have use for installing driving lights behind the mesh grille.

New serpentine belt. New air filter. New cabin air filter. Replaced my broken amp.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My tires came with road hazard included. Which is good because 90 miles in, I hit a surprise pothole and got a bubble in one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Changed out a faulty brake light switch.
Sprayed grease all over the squeaky clutch linkage.
Noticed rust on the weld points of the subframe. Its only been through 3 northeast winters.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Getting started on my off road cosplay.

Also installed some bedrails made of superstrut to attach jerry cans, shovels, traction boards, and hi-lift jacks.

Anyone got a good source for Zombie Response Team stickers?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Not going to lie. I really enjoy the look of truck bed linings like that.

I actually just got it sprayed last week. I bought the UV protection which probably gives it that sheen.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Please don't be that guy.

I was posting facetiously. My truck is normal looking, I wouldn't daily drive an overlanding bug-out survival rig. I just creep around fire roads on the occasional weekend.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Make sure your lid is pulled way down and you tuck the top of your ears in under it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Picked up some OEM rock sliders from a guy who took them off his ZR2. Installed them on my Z71. Hated those naked pinch welds.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Went to the dealer for my free oil change, spent 2.5 hours waiting.

I don't care how free it is, I'm going to go back to doing it myself like on all my past cars.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

After swearing that this time I would leave everything alone and especially not play with any electricity, I wired up some LED strip lights to the factory harness for bed lights in anticipation of getting a tonneau cover soon. The official GM accessory is very expensive and provides poor results. This was (if I didn't spend a bunch of money on stuff I didn't need) about $30 in materials. It runs off the same bed light switch for the overhead light. Its attached under the bed rails with 3M molding tape.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol should have. The lights are hooked up to the wiring with their own connectors, so I can easily swap out at any time.

Here is a wiring diagram

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spent way too much time washing and claying and waxing it

Dunno if it's worth the effort on a white car.