Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
I started a teardown on an old 302 v-8 block for my just as old Mustang. Got everything except the crankshaft and cam off, so it's just about ready for getting checked over by the machine shop to see if it's usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Finally got my 68 Mustang on the road again, with a newly rebuilt transmission and 289 v-8, both of which my dad and I built. It was glorious, amazing power and great cornering, the best the car has ever been.

So of course after half an hour of driving it made a godawful clattering sound, died and left me sitting on the side of the road. This engine has about 6 hours of running time on it, no idea why it would let go now. gently caress it, time for beer.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

General_Failure posted:

You read my mind.

Was in the middle of breaking it in, did the 20 minutes or so of sustained rpms to break in the cam when it first started and was driving pretty gently to see how it was doing, no hard acceleration or high rpms. I'll pull the valve covers tomorrow and see what is lurking in there. The engine already had a few hours on it and was running great until this point.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Was using 10-30, and broke in the cam in the shop under no load. My dad was the one doing the main work on this, as he's built plenty of engines, and of course he left last night on a two week vacation. I'm guessing something broke on a lifter or a valve went horrible wrong, but its a non-interference engine so hopefully the worst case scenario is a new pair of heads.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Well, I found the problem after pulling the valve covers. One of the valve keepers broke up, and one of the rockers seems to have broken along with it. We'll have to pull the head, but the valve seemed to be intact and there was no debris in the oil. It could definitely have been a lot worse.

Here is the offending piece of metal in all its glory:

edit: rocker was busted as well, and I am dumb when it comes to IDing Ford small block bits

Imp Boy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 10, 2013

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's some serious oil starvation. Better be drat sure to pinpoint the cause before you rebuild it.

Will definitely be doing that, the odd thing is that it was running great oil pressure and was full on the dipstick after the failure. It may have been a faulty part or install from the machine shop that rebuilt the head the first time around. Or a clogged oil passage, we shall see.

Edit: right, valve keeper. Sorry, I'm still a bit new to engine work and a friend had identified the bit. Rocker failure looked like a material failure, it had a crack on the pushrod side. The valve seemed intact and had not fallen into the cylinder, but it will have to wait for the head to be pulled when more adept help gets back into town in a couple of weeks.

Imp Boy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 10, 2013

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
I spent an hour or so cruising around and enjoying the now working 289 in my mustang. We finally got the alignment close to right over the weekend, and the car is driving quite nicely. It isn't making quite as much power as it should, and I'm going to have to find a local Holley guru to figure out how to get the most out of it, but for now I shall enjoy the sweet exhaust note and make a lot of noise annoying the neighborhood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Just fixed the timing on my 289. Somehow the bolt securing the distributor had come loose, and it was a few degrees out from where it belonged. Hooray for quick, simple fixes!