Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Changed the clutch and flywheel on the 3 cylinder Charade, getting it together for looking for a job :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

King-Kong posted:

Wait, someone is actually stupid enough to use wire nuts on a car? Jesus.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

What if I wire nutted and then electrical taped all around the nut and wires?

Thats not what wire nuts are for. They are for joining solid core wire to solid core or stranded wire in a wall conduit box that never moves. A car is none of those, so get some butt connectors and shrink tubing. Wire nuts are a fire hazard and I fathom if one created a fire insurance would have a field day with it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Bahamutsrage posted:

The HID kit I said I bought earlier in this thread started flickering slightly. Then last night it was like a goddamn rave party then it finally went out.

I ripped that HID kit out and learned my lesson: never buy an aftermarket kit. So I went and bought me some Sylvania Silverstar Ultra halogen bulbs and installed them.

Goddamn it's a bitch getting to the headlights on a BMW Z4 :(

You'll do it again in a few months, Silverstars are garbage and are super overdriven to keep decent light output for that stupid white blue filter.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I use Xtravisions in everything. They do fine in 20 year old DOT housings, I don't see why people need much more dim-light than that. Maybe they need glasses?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

I jump started my car and drove it up and down the street! Haha naysayers, it does actually run!

When is the last time it was started?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Insight, Civic Hybrid, or Prius?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

ElehemEare posted:

CIS is as described on that Wikipedia page, the K-Jetronic. Volkswagen kept it in the Mk1 Cabriolet until 1990 when they replaced it with Digifant. This is what I get for having a car with the engine from an '84 GTI.

Flappy meters are L-Jetronic, early Motronic and Digifant setups. You're thinking of KE-Jetronic (CIS-x), using a mechanical injector system and possibly an oxygen sensor for somewhat closed-loop cruising. Those have a flappy plate too, but its mounted vertically in the fuel metering unit and isn't electrical, on the box with all the injector hoses coming off of it.

Same idea, completely different mechanisms

edit: you figured it out :)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

Guys there's something wrong with my blue car

You're goung to need a bit more than a strap to fix that car's real problem.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Casnorf posted:

Went out this afternoon to pull the damaged fender off my 944, in preparation for picking up the replacement tomorrow. Ended up with the valence and bumper on the floor in my garage and one god damned bolt holding the fender in place. Good thing I needed to take those other two bits off anyway to replace one and replace the shocks behind the other.

I hated doing bodywork on my dad's 944. What a terrible design, bolts in places they don't really fit.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

DogDodger posted:

Replaced the Forge 007P diverter valve in my TT with an AWE DV1. The Forge uses a piston, while the AWE has a diaphragm like the original DV in the car. The OEM diaphragms tear under higher boost (happened to me after the car was chipped in 2006), but AWE claims theirs is good to 750 hp on the 1.8T. This is a win-win due to the quicker action of the diaphragm and no need for maintenance, unlike the piston DV which requires lubing every so often.

The AWE valve has shorter nozzles (for lack of a better term) than the Forge, which makes me a bit nervous. Hope I tightened it up sufficiently. We'll see at Barber this weekend, I guess. :)

If you feel like parting with your Forge, I converted my Mazda to run on those euro Bosch units so a Forge is drop in.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

omgitstheinternet posted:

Replaced the failing DV on my Audi with a forge splitter valve. No more boost leak and I don't care how 2 bi 2 curious it is I loving love blowoff valve sounds.

When are you gonna pick up the BBS wheels in 18x12 and put some poke on that poor car?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Ziploc posted:

I've never seen camber wear a tire like that.

Too much camber and way too much caster.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Then started to remove the Dynamat from the doors.. Oh god do i HATE tar! 4hrs and still havent got the drivers door done :(

Try dry ice, it freezes the glue so bad you can scrape it off. Then use some acetone and rub off the glue residue.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

The fuel leak source

The hose closest to the firewall had come off of the metal pipe. Given the proximity of the cabin air intake (just off-camera above) and the fact I saw no major change in fuel mileage or engine sound / performance, I'm going to agree with my neighbour who thinks the detached hose is a "standby" fuel supply, and doesn't normally carry much gasoline. Plugging it back onto the pipe solved the fuel smell problem I'd had earlier. I should have looked for something like this before :downs:

Those are all vacuum lines, no fuel in them, there's no such thing as a 'standby' fuel supply. It could be the purge line for the evap system, try tracing it to the charcoal canister. That is the only way gas vapors would be in one of those lines, which go through a water-temperature activated solenoid and suck the vapors from the charcoal canister into the intake manifold.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

What the hell is a throttle body relearn? Usually for Nissans you just adjust for an initial resistance reading, then short the service connector and move it. Nissan has the worst ECUs in history, nobody ever ever does the poo poo they have come up with.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Serp belts are a godsend for every possible criteria of belt performance. Transverse belt routing can be somewhat scary, but it would be with a Vee belt anyway.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Every car manual I've seen mentions protecting against accidental Diesel filling rather than leaded fuel, which isn't legal as a street fuel in the US anymore.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

Next step is to install the Camcon cam timing & air/fuel controller and a less restrictive exhaust. Then on to the actual turbo kit!

You're driving it around with totally oversized injectors and throttle body? Say goodbye to your cat(s) and economy. And maybe engine longevity as super rich mixtures at low RPM wash the oil off the cylinder walls, increasing wear exponentially.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

I want to note that I agree with you and your altruistic motivation to post this; that said, any time someone posts about more fuel I start looking for this post, and I think that's funny.

Maybe we could just put it in the forum rules. v:v:v

Altruistic? No, he's just doing something stupid and I reiterated what damage it probably will cause. Its so funny that someone makes a comment about someone's car modifications in Automotive Insanity?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

What's funny about it is that on this subject you are like a trapdoor spider and your prey is posts about this sort of modification; when one pops up it's :munch: time. I mean this in the nicest possible way.

Odd, I always think its 'bad fuel pump' whenever people ask, wrongly ordered modifications seems to me to be a distant second.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kill me now posted:

I corded the hell out of the shoulder of some Pirelli Grand am slicks :emo:

whoops

Get some camber and/or raise your pressures. I ran -3.8 on a car less than half your car's weight, so you might need quite a bit.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CLR diluted 8:1 with distilled water in a spraybottle and OOOO steel wool is marvelous for taking off water spots.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Started cleaning out the new Charade, topped up the power steering, and put on a new lever-type radiator cap.

Rocky got the muffler put on, just need to connect it to the rest of the tailpipe.

Race Charade got warmed up (I do it every day now). Waiting on clutch and fluids for racing in December!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Black88GTA, you in all likelihood could have just unbolted the A/C compressor and zip-tied it out of the way. Unless it was broken.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, shooting his timing will be easy without it. :rolleyes:

They don't have a distributor. Or an adjustable cam sensor.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Any recent OBDII car throws a evap failure code with a leaking/loose/broken cap.

I read a paper where 20% of car emissions come from crankcase and another %10 from fuel vapor emissions. Big chunks and easily mitigated.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

A little PB Blaster and some dull jawed pliers will get any hose off, you just have to twist carefully.

That and Nissan hose connections are awful.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

wallaka posted:

Got some of those newfangled ricer lightbulbs.

Halogens, I think they call them. Say what you will about sealed beams, when there are four highs, you get a lot of light output.
The lights I took out still had FoMoCo emblems in the glass, but I can't possibly think that they were original.

Ahh, back before they figured out that keeping both on was a bad idea as it ruines distance perception with so much near-field brilliance.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Put the new fender cover on the Rocky, also installed the harness for the Hellas.

Maybe when it stops being freezing and raining I'll install the switch, the fender liner, and consider registering it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

A three dollar Chinese air filter?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

You already beyond the limit for bore out?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

One is probably an oxygen sensor, the other could be a bad cat caused by the long-bad oxygen sensor.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

All of you people running out of petrol - have fun replacing your fuel pump. Most of those are cooled internally by the petrol itself, and repeatedly running out will end their life prematurely.

I had an 88 Delta that had the original fuel pump in it, never ran it out of gas and it was still going strong. Gave my sister a 94 Acclaim/Spirit and she runs it out every other weekend. In 8 months she's gone through two fuel pumps.

European cars tend to have external pumps for whatever reason, but even in-tank fuel pumps tend to be a bit more hardy then you'd expect.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

MiniFoo posted:

This didn't fit.

So I made mounts for it.

Now I have a front-mounted oil cooler that's more efficient and doesn't leak!

Box those sections! Also don't breathe the fumes when you weld it, zinc is bad.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Hatchbacks tend to bend their little cable too, I lost the CHMSL on mine once and had to splice in some wiring after it got hard and broke the copper conductors.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I actually have a pair of those if they are the same as a 90 or 91 Protege, they're all yours. Oddly enough I bought them in Hawaii for my brother's Protege and didn't need the second set.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Our Infiniti G20 is close to the Primera P10/P11, that generation Sentra is beam axle and not really related, runs a QR25 rather than a SR/GA.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

You probably blew a diode or totally wasted a polyfuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

:confused: I bought GL-4 from Autozone barely more than a year ago. :confused: