Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Ditched the lovely runflat tires on my Cooper S, because one of them popped like a balloon.

Replaced the power steering pump fan that was noisy due to a bad bearing. Mini wants nearly $200 for this part. I found their OEM supplier of the fan, and got it from them for half, and mounted it to the bracket. Some bolts and some solder, heat shrink tubing, and some high temperature tape and I saved half, like the cheap jew I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Piano posted:

Used? Didn't think those could be had for less than 200ish yet?

Pawn shops. Problem is, they only have those deals when I'm already broke.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I put gas in it today.

Also, I got tired of my stereo sounding like someone running their nails down a chalk board and got some new front speakers (new rears will be purchased soon).

Old and a little busted

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Kicker DS650's somehow replaced them... perfect fit.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I had both a 94 and 2000 altima. Both stock speakers sounded like rear end, and both stock speakers were dried up and destroyed by the Phoenix sun. I guess Nissan makes those speakers out of tissue paper or something

[content]

I wired up the V1 again, this time hiding the unit behind the mirror, with just enough of it showing so the rear dingus works, and can detect radar from the rear. Found out why my scangauge wasn't working, I managed to pull the fuse that was marked as "sunroof" (which my car does not have) for a circuit doubler. Apparently BMW/MINI decided that'd be a great circuit to run the ODBII dingus off of, too. :iiam:

Once it gets warmer out, it's clean the cooper day

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

I don't know if you know, but if you plug another RJ connector into the other jack on the V1 remote mounting power supply, you can rig up a remote mute/mode change button by connecting "data2" and ground as in this diagram. The V1 remote display does the same thing, but with a 10k resistor inline, so I added one to be safe.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec80.shtml

I drilled a small black push button on the side of the console between it and the passengers seat, so I can drop my hand off the shifter and mute quickly. I ended up running my 12v+ from under the console as well so I could put a unit power switch there next to the mute.

Yeah, I bought the remote display when I bought the V1:

I'm a big fan of making these things as stealthy as possible.

The removable pivoted lower dash on the coopers makes it very simple to wire these kinds of things up.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Are V1s really as good as I've heard? I'm in the UK so it'd cost me around £300 for one, is it really worth the money?

I'm not an über expert on detectors, but I've had a lot of midrange detectors from other vendors, then I bought the V1 back in 2003. The V1 is nice because it'll give you a "bogey count", telling you how many sources it detects, and it'll tell you generally where the bogey is (in front or behind you).

It also falses less than any detector I've ever had, even on the "filter almost nothing/highway" mode I have mine in.

I have yet (knock on wood) gotten a speeding ticket in any car it's been in. It probably helps that most cops around in Texas leave their radar on constantly.

I think other vendors lately have caught up to V1, and V1 hasn't changed much since 2003ish, so i'd be interested what a real expert says.

I like it better than any other detector i've used.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I jacked off my Cooper S.

Really.

Ok, I took the stupid Union Jack roof Vinyl decal of the roof.
It went from this:

to this: (lovely cameraphone pic)

The plain black mirror caps are on order.

I also cleaned a shitload of bugs out of the radiator and intercooler. drat the intercooler is a fuckin' bug MAGNET.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 9, 2010