Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

KrazyKosher posted:

The Challenger has been sitting for a long time. I just changed the oil, filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and siphoned the gas tank. I replaced a bad radiator, but the new one is slightly thicker and I now have some fan clearance issues. I have a couple extras, but they're for big blocks and I don't know if they'll work yet. I really don't want to have to pay to have the original fixed. I turned over the engine but didn't start it yet.

Never a better time for an electric fan, if you ask me. Look into an electric fuel pump, too. I've had the mechanical pump on my Caddy die and start spraying fuel all over the hot engine block. Terrifying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Crustashio posted:

It was a good little car (70,000km without an oil change) but I guess I finally managed to kill it.

This is not a measure of a good car. This is a measure of a bad owner.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

And make sure you put some wax on top right after, too! You're basically taking the top layer off of your paint, and any clearcoat or former wax protection it had is gone. That finish won't last long unprotected.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Silly question: If an American officer ran his radar sideways, would it thwart American detectors?

I'm guessing it would be exactly the same results as the above graph, just reversed for horizontally and vertically, since we do, in fact, have physics in America.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

_adam posted:

Almost all of the welding and grinding is done. I wish the welds were a little more consistent cosmetically but I'll make them look good.

I need to know more about this. What sort of terrible Frankenstein are you making?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

DropShadow posted:

Installed a set of S4 doorblades on my Avant:

(Those are my winter wheels. My new summer wheels are waiting patiently in the garage.)

Sorry...what? What's a doorblade? Before/after would help.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

daslog posted:

Just put new Ignition points in my Caddy.

The book calls for a 30 degree Dwell.
The old points were set at 18
The new points I set at 30.

It runs much better.

You should really, really look into getting a Pertronix Ignitor setup for your car. It'll run lightyears better and never need any adjustments.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

evilnissan posted:

Thinking about trading it in on a econo car (RIO or SOUL) or keep it for another year, Filling it up at the gas pump and lack of utility is just a major pain in the rear end.

Man you're going to be disappointed when you find out that the Rio and Soul both use gas, too :tipshat:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Out of curiosity, why remove it? Is this a weight savings thing, or was it failing?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Ah gotcha. Having daily driven a couple cars without power steering (my '65 Corvair, and my '54 Bel air), I can tell you that even on long rides, it's not so bad. Just stay aware - things like pot holes can really jerk the wheel a good bit. I've heard that for large trucks without PS (think military deuce and a half sized), drivers are taught not to hook their thumbs on the wheel when driving, as feedback from road hazards can actually break thumbs! Easily the hardest task is parallel parking - give that a go and see if you can live with it. Everything else is trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

dangerz posted:

Front license plate air intake. My intake looks like this, so this'll feed air right to it. The sides came open from the factory, so all I'm really doing is adding a center channel of air right to the intake.

Hey that's neat! You ought to paint the grilles black.