Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I drove the E55 around the city with a delirious grin on my face, smashing the accelerator to the floor 80% of the time, wasting a ton of gas and just generally wasting time. It was one of the best days I have had in a while.

Then I came home, looked at the DSM sitting sadly by the side of my house, and got back in the E55 to drive around some more.

One day I'll probably work on the DSM but that day will involve blood, sweat, tears, and/or any combination of the three. No job is worth doing if it doesn't involve at least two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Bought these fat fuckers to put on the AMG. Mine are worn too far.

*sigh*

They aren't even upgrades, just stock replacements. The only possible upgrades were $2900/ea 2-pc floating rotors.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
This showed up for the E55.

woooooooo

(34-41rwhp gain with tune only, 65rwhp with pulley and tune)

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
some people blow off intercooler piping

i blow off exhaust piping :smug:

SIGH

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

ab0z posted:

Why is your fuel line tied to your exhaust?

I had ziptied it to one of the hangers for a guide while I put on the rubber U-mounts. That hanger broke and the first pull under boost blew the downpipe off.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Got the 1600cc injectors dialed in a bit more, to the point where I can actually rev the car above 4k.

Also got one of these sweet exhaust clamps.

http://www.amazon.com/Torctite-Preformed-Exhaust-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B002VR756C

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
JB-Welded an Allen key into the stripped hole of my manual boost controller, thus causing injector #3 to stop working.

:argh: DSM

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

Get a bigger steering wheel.

Weld the center diff.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Got the DSM out of retirement while the M5 is in the shop. Rolling on SWEET CHROME MOTEGIS until I'm annoyed enough to buy proper tires for the '99 GSX OZ wheels.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Octopus Magic posted:

GSX's never came with OZ wheels, they came with the 10 spoke 2 piece wheels that love corroding and denting. :eng101:

The 99 anniversary GS model came with the 16" OZ wheels which were so cute and late 90s feeling.

Oops, you're right. 99 GS. These ones:

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Tried to get the BAMF (Chevy C2500, 5.7L V8) to pass state I/M. It passed safety OK, but failed the hydrocarbon test at idle. (MAX 800, actual 902). At 2500 RPM, actual was 103. Idle was also reading 1051 RPM when it usually idles at 500-600 RPM.

I'm going to do the basic tuneup today (filters, plugs, wires, cap/rotor) and then go have it retested.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

Please keep us updated, I'm curious how your truck is throwing away hydrocarbons and idling funny.
Years ago, my minivan (shut up, I helped people move, chicks dig that) was emptying the fuel tank way too quickly, and the mechanics I took it to couldn't figure it out and told me somebody was stealing my gas. Then I took it to the air-care inspection (Vancouver) months before I needed to renew my insurance, and it failed on too much hydrocarbons going out the exhaust. Turned out to be the timing chain getting misaligned somehow.
This was like 10 years ago, in a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan SE (anemic 3.3L V6, goddawful A604 transmission).

Found out that cylinder #7 had a shredded plugwire boot. Did the wires and plugs, cap & rotor, Seafoamed it, changed the fluids, and threw some ENGINE RESTORE in the oil.

Passed HC with no problems. (MAX 800 Actual 518)

Both valve covers seem to be leaking oil, so I ordered an "engine dress up kit" that comes with two chrome valve covers, gaskets, chrome breather, chrome caps/tops for just about everything, etc.

Whatever, the valve covers and gaskets alone are worth the $50 I spent on the whole kit.

Also, I put $125 in gas into the truck. Yeesh. Oh well, it should be a lot of fun to take camping tomorrow!

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Couldn't get the M5 to pass I/M (O2 sensor not ready, Evap not ready, Secondary Air System not ready) so I got to drive on the freeway for 20 minutes at 50mph turning 2500RPM. Got tailgated and honked at by about a hundred people. Come on people, the far right lane is for slow traffic, feel free to pass me.

Finally got the registration renewed, though. Popped a tire and Big O couldn't fix it, so now I get to make use of Tirerack's absolutely poo poo roadhazard warranty and try and find another 255/35/18 tire. Lemme know if you know where to get one for cheap.

One cool thing I discovered: Torque will read your car's I/M sensors and tell you when they're ready, so you can use the $10 ELM27 Bluetooth OBDII adapter and Torque to find out while you're driving, instead of having to visit the I/M station every week.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
My garage is filled with BMW happiness now.

I am debating a cheap eBay turbo kit for the M roadster.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

vinyl m striping decals

Slightly disappointed with the print quality, I'm not really confident that they're going to last all that long. Sizing on the rear one seemed a tiny bit off. Also, I might just replace the rear badge altogether, as you can see the fake chrome looks kind of worn.

$12.50 instead of $90+ for 3 new badges...Was worth a shot.

I'm going to do the same thing to my M Roadster. Where'd you get them? Ebay? I don't care about the chrome, but I want the striping colors.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
There was a local shop doing professional photoshoots of cars for free so I swung by with the BMW fleet.

(huge resolution)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Put on front & rear Porterfield R4-S pads, new slotted/drilled F&R rotors, new 225/40/18 front & 275/35/18 rear Bridgestone RE760 tires, and I'm ready for track day next Wednesday!