Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Been flushing the radiator slowly since Friday. I just got this Xterra and the previous owner seems to have been just running with straight water or something.

Empy #2:

Empty #3:

Today I finally got the P-HOAT radiator coolant in. I've never used anything but the green stuff before, I was expecting this to be red but my daughter and I were inordinately happy to find it was a friendly pink color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Can you detail how you masked the piece? I can't tell if its just masking tape or something else? Looks almost like plastic wrap covered in dip.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I need to buff the hood but didn't have any clearcoat polish on hand so I did the headlights which needed it sorely. These pictures don't really do much justice as they didn't catch just how yellow and foggy it was getting.

Before:

After:

This was my first time using a drill attachment and the results look much better than what I can usually achieve by hand. I did go a littlebit overboard on the first headlight but I'm going to need to do the same on some more expensive cars so this was good practice.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

Just got back from a week long fishing trip with my old man. We got some stuff done in the last couple weeks before we left.

We got the steering column in, got it hooked up, and got the disc brakes on the front. We picked up a set of tight block hugger headers to make routing stuff easier. We have the radiator installed. Have to get the steering geometry figured out, get the brake booster mounted, and then we'll almost be ready to wire it and fire it.

This post is :krad:. That engine is a beautiful thing.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Chaosfirev posted:

Today I took my car to a dealership

Found the problem.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

STR posted:

How good does the paint need to be for plastidip to adhere (and not show flaws)?

I have no idea about adherence because I sanded and prepped the part with 800 grit but my one experience with aerosol plastidip did not fill as many flaws as I was expecting. Even after 6ish layers.

Used metalizer plastidip sometime last week, I'd call this a little bigger than a hairline crack but its still very visible.

I wanted more of an aluminum look so I'll have to redo this at some point but for now it matches stock well. Maybe a white undercoat would have given me what I was looking for. Thankfully plastidip.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I was researching the engine in my recent Xterra purchase and discovered the wife's infinity M45 shares the same automatic transmission (RE5R05A)

Checked the transmission fluid which looked nice and clean, on the Xterra forums you'll see quite a few people complaining about coolant contaminating the transmission so I thought it good to check.
Now the previous owner of the infiniti had money to burn on anything and everything the dealer told him to do, I've got 10 tire rotation receipts to prove it, so I never thought to check the trans. fluid, plus I had a hard time finding it. But now I know where it is from the other vehicle:

Not a color I ever thought I'd see on my own ATF. This probably should have been changed a year ago when we first bought it. I do notice when driving her car that the shifting can be a little late or sudden, time to get dirty.

There were about 20 bolts holding the pan on, luckily it also has a drain plug so I didn't have to take a shower but I was not prepared for how long taking these off would take. To my dismay the filter is held on with another 10ish. Next chance I get I'm picking up a power ratchet or adapter.

The two magnets inside the pan were pretty gummed up with metallic sludge. Not too concerned but yell at me if I should be. Some gasket pieces floating around that picture too, not fragments.

This is all I could see on the filter itself:

I may have to rethink car maintenance as a hobby if it means scraping this carboardy gasket off constantly. Tedious waste of 45mins. Hit it with penetrating oil and ate dinner, not a huge help but better than nothing.

Once everything was back on I put 3.75 liters of Valvoline Maxlife ATF in + a full bottle of LUCAS stop slip. 5 quarts is what I measured coming out so I may add some more today but it measured good from the dipstick at the time. Need to check owners manual today.

On the drive home, I was almost orgasmic when I felt it shift into 3rd and 4th smoother than I've every seen "ooohhh yeah"

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

STR posted:

Nissan is a fan of RTV instead of actual gaskets for oil pans and transmission pans, and it's a pain in the rear end. Use an actual gasket next time you have the pan off.

I'm no expert on automatics, so I can't comment on the metallic stuff (it looks like a lot, but not end of the world, to me, but the last time I dropped a transmission pan was before people of drinking age were even a thought in their father's nutsack), but you should do a couple more drain/fills. You're only getting 1/4 to 1/3 of the ATF out when you drop the pan. At least the next few will only require pulling the drain plug. Obviously drive it a bit between changes.

New filter came with a rubber gasket. I was thinking about how much ATF might still be running around in the cooler, etc. I'll keep an eye on it and give it a change before or at the next oil change. Thanks for the tip.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

figured out what's got my exhaust plugged up:

Are these pieces worth anything to anybody? I've got this busted up one and the next in line is probably clogged too badly to be used again.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Yesterday I got new cats installed. I had to figure out what studs were and how to remove them in a hurry as the sun was going down.

Then like clockwork something else breaks; today we found liquid leaking into the cabin which at first I was thought was ATF, but quickly figured out was pink coolant. Guess something has gone wrong at the heater core. I'm really tempted to put in a stopleak as I don't want to take apart the dash and possibly lose all the refrigerant.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Thanks for the advice. I think this heater is bypassable and that would at least let me drive.

VVV Pretty sure they both have to come out on this 2006 Xterra :doh:NISSAN:doh: VVV

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 12, 2018

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

I have to deal with removing the rusted on rotor that is welded on the hub.

:eyepop: lol wtf

content:
JB weld not as strong as I assumed. Pressure from coolant line re-broke. Trying again today with a reinforced bond.
Broke a plastic piece while trying to bypass the heater core.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Replaced a Control Arm and took off the Inner-Outer Tierod. Never did either of those before. Thankfully the control arm slid out surprisingly easily for how bulky it is.

I had to cut the tierod in half as it was bent and the tool wouldn't fit over the damage. I thought I had a metal cutting disc on my angle grinder but after 15 mins of cutting I switched and discovered it was a tile cutting disc, whoops! With the correct disc on it took just seconds.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

2006 Xterra
There is a plastic piece between the heater core return and the rest of the cooling system. I originally broke it as I was doing a heater core bypass which has since been re-connected. However the plastic piece broke again in a new place and left me semi-stranded last week. By random chance, I had a very little amount of JBKwikWeld with me. but even if I had the 4-6 hours for that to harden, there's no way I could trust it to hold this thing together. What I ended up doing is using that epoxy to create the "waterproof" seal, then phoned in someone to deliver a stick of JBWeldSteelStik, which I'm now developing an unhealthy relationship with. This plastic piece which is essentially a T-connection is starting to look more like a fist.

I visited the junkyard Saturday, a 2nd Generation Xterra showed up on in my inbox alerts a few days ago and I'm praying it hasn't been picked clean already because I've been waiting for one to show up for months. I had an hour or so before they closed and the vehicle was in a totally different row than specified. Luckily I did find it and someone had done most of the hard work for me; the grill I was also after had been perfectly disconnected and lay on the ground. While fighting the clock to get some other pieces, I suddenly remembered I desperately wanted that heater hose, and was able to get it off quickly after dealing with the broken one several times in the past.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 25, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

polyester concept posted:

Get a proper drain pan - I used a disposable aluminum foil roasting pan and the stream of warm transmission fluid bounced out of the pan and perfectly dodged the cardboard I had laid on the garage floor specifically to catch rogue drips. Great

Smells wonderful don't it? The first time I changed ATF I thought a baby had wandered nearby with a very full diaper.

Good luck with that broken bolt it sounds like a real headache. Hopefully you won't need to take the whole thing off again.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Towed my new ride home.

Anybody know what this is? I think it's wired to the radio but haven't followed it thoroughly yet. Didn't stop the car from starting.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Cut out another inner tierod. This is getting too easy.

Not sure what I'm supposed to do with this little packet of soy-sauce it came with. Do I hit the threads with that or pour it in the boot?

I have a replacement cv axle so I need to get back in there anyways.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Chunjee posted:

2006 Xterra

Replaced this yesterday. My coolant system has been a little wacky lately and I caught the radiator cap leaking the other day so I replaced it as well.

Looks like I got to it just in time. Felt wet from the bottom so it certainly was leaking some portion.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Painted the brake calipers. I dunno if AI has an opinion on this but I think it looks great (till it gets covered in brake dust)

Finally started going after that silverdollar sized hole. This was my first time using bondo and I learned a lot. I was following instructions off a ChrisFix video on diy rust repair.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Powershift posted:

When you have to redo it next year, find a welder that will let you do the prep work and weld it up for you for a case of beer. cut out a patch for it, clean it up, have him weld it, and then do the finishing work over that.

Thanks. Trying to make friends with a welder for my hitch problem. If this isn't going to last I may just knock it off and have him do both.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Powershift posted:

I've also gotta ask, did you try to pull the dent out a little?

bog really doesn't like to flex, and if you put it on too thick, could start to crack as the inside keeps curing. door skins are extremely flexible, you can usually see them move quite a bit when you shut the door or have the stereo cranked. On a Nissan they probably flap in the wind at highway speeds.

Having access to the inside through the gloryhole, you could probably pull the dent out so you only really need a light skim coat of bog.

Yeah the skin was flexing quite a lot with just a light press from the outside. That was obviously going to cause a problem so from the inside I did my best paintless dent repair impression till it was no longer moving. Applied a body patch to the hole from the inside. But it's still probably 1/4th inch thick in places. From what you're saying it sounds like I should have pressed it out more.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

There was a 2nd Gen Xterra at my Pink-n-Pull recently but it's probably cleared out by now. If a white one shows up sure I'll nab that door but I am not holding my breath. Maybe wheen 2005+'s start showing up more frequently. Will keep an eye out.

Chunjee posted:

I visited the junkyard Saturday, a 2nd Generation Xterra showed up on in my inbox alerts a few days ago and I'm praying it hasn't been picked clean already because I've been waiting for one to show up for months.
Coincidentally it was black and all the doors were usable. Would've made some good cop cosplay.

Powershift posted:

It's different on a quarter panel or fender, because the compound curves give the metal more stucture, but on door skins like that you really want to use as little as possible.
:hmmyes:

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 29, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

2006 Xterra

Painted the bodywork. Looking head on it looks fantastic, but with the sun at an angle, I can see imperfections and dust. Will have a final verdict in a few days after I wetsand and polish.

Wanted to change the rear diff fluid but the drain and fill plugs take two different sized hex keys. I have the drain size (10mm) but not the fill (14mm) so I didn't touch it.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

2006 Xterra.
Changed the rear diff oil. Went ahead and popped the cover off while I was down there, painted it to match the calipers/tow hook. I've got a $4 Xterra decal on the way that I may slap on as well but I'm thinking that red might be loud enough as is.

+ ?

STR posted:

Dealer called. They say it's not the plastic lines from the fuel pump; they said the supply and return lines (steel) are rusted out. They also said I need all new struts/shocks, new tires, new brakes, new hoses, new serpentine belt, new air filter, new valve cover gasket, and a new exhaust (all of these things are new in the past year except for the exhaust, filter is 1 day old). Oh, and it'll be $160 for checking it out, $1430 to replace the lines. :stonkhat:

The service bulletin also says there's not to be a charge to the customer if it winds up not being the fuel pump, and to let the customer know before doing any further diagnosis. :fuckoff: I read that word for word to the service advisor, and said I never authorized any diagnosis further than described in the special warranty bulletin, he said "well, we did the diagnosis, we need to be paid." Told him to call me when it was ready to pick up and I'd open a complaint with GM. Called GM and opened a complaint, about an hour later he called back to say the car was back together and he'd waived the charge, and hung up on me. Not a pleasant person to deal with in general.

lol holy smokes. Nice plays though.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Went looking for a stranded body filler, but they had a giant can of regular for essentially the same price so I went with that instead. Now I'll be into even more filler trouble. It's real nice working with a supply that hasn't been sitting in a garage for 10 years.

Now that I'm not scraping the bottom of the barrel on my tiny can I did get started on the grill mod:

original donor looked like this:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Got a text from Row52 Thanksgiving morning. The next day I rushed over and raided this guy:

Today I put on the fender and compressor I got from that. Changed the thermostat which was in the same area by coincidence and replaced coolant with AISIN pink. Sanded down the junkyard headlight but haven't put it on yet.

Earlier I was measuring engine temp at 85-86C, short check on the drive home now reading 75-77C. I'm pleased.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

When I did the first oil change on my EXP, the filter was on so fuckin tight that when I stabbed through with the screwdriver I just shredded the drat filter when I turned it. Had to crunch it up with but huge pliers to get that fucker to turn.

Jebus :stonk:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I was eying the custom fit Weathertech floormats but the generic $30 ones at Costco made more sense. Put them in last night and the fit is excellent at least for the driver so I'm counting this as a win because nearly $200 on flootmats is a little wild. May still have to get the custom backseat mats because of kids.

Replaced this little sidemarker brake thing that has been driving me mad. I know everyone wants $36 for it on ebay so I grabbed both sides at the junkyard.

Also this HUD arrived in the mail and it works surprisingly well. I'll write a little more once I route the wire and mount it properly.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Changed the front brakes and swapped in platinum spark plugs. I love RockAuto prices.

I found plain copper ones in there and this:

Can that be jbweld sealed back to 100% usable or is it compromised forever and need replacement?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Found a bag of LEDs and added two for when my plates arrive.

Dunno if this does anything but makes sense on to me.

Took apart the dash to get my HUD and dashcam wired, Turns out I only really needed to pop the pillar plastic off and fish the wires through there. The PO's passenger gouged the plastic repeatedly and since it was all apart I started filling in their damage. Pictured here plugged in because I needed to drive around with defrost.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Yesterday:
Replaced wheel hub and knuckle on my Subaru for the 3rd time (don't ask). The road noise is finally gone.
Got a code for O2 sensor circuit low last week. Unplugged, cleaned and greased up the pins. Plugged back in and the check engine light is gone without clearing codes. Seems like a fix to me.
Hopefully I get this thing out of my life soon.

Saturday:

Was at the Junkyard for other cars when I happened to spot the exact year and color of my Jeep; but when is there NOT a gold Grand Cherokee at the junkyard. Pulled a fender but haven't put it on yet.

Debadged my xB since I'm replacing this hatch at some point anyways. I think I like it! Oh my plates arrived too.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I need to know wtf I am looking at here.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I don't know anything about the Avalon drivetrain but that restyling looks very cool in my opinion.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 10, 2020

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Fixed my car by replacing the clutch. Turns out a milk crate makes a very good transmission catcher. Ended up buying a transmission jack to get it back in however.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Changed the transmission pan, filter, and bit of the fluid:

The new pan has a drain plug :3:

some chunks, OOF

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

This loving radiator would not let go of his condenser buddy.

The plastic gave up before the clip:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Seriously PPO? My van has been draining the battery overnight for a while. As I was loving up my dash to add a cutoff switch in the cabin I finally found the culprit; poorly installed GPS.

If you are going to install annoying poo poo at least put it on the right circuit, nearly stranded me half a dozen times.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

This thread or one similar turned me onto the strap wrench style filter remover and boy do I enjoy that over the bucket of filter tools; none of which seem to ever fit the car presently in the middle of an oil change.

Sadly this tool is powerless against cartridge style filter housings.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Almost every time I fix something cool at my Dad's garage I say 'y'know what we forgot to do? Take before pictures'

Well done transformation 👌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Sold my minivan. Listed a Subaru once and thought that was a lot of messages. Minivan boooooy howdy; twenty within the hour, probably pushing forty a few hours later.

plus or minus a few phone collecting bots