Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
Yesterday I did some painting (Im painting the car the slow painful way)

I drilled out a broken stud in the head, tapped it for a bigger bolt, and installed the head.

I cut reliefs between the exhaust ports on the exhaust manifold.

I removed the front end body work (fenders, valance, ...)

More broken bolts to drill/tap today :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
lots of painting and valve train fuckery with no joy. I think Im going to go back and start breaking down cam towers/rocker until I get what I want or the nearby party sounds like more fun.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I did some more painting, then worked on my rocker assembly. frustration ensused and I gave up. The previous day I charged up my friends battery (she left her lights on), and I noticed some duct tape in her engine compartment. I asked her about it and she had no idea. So yesterday I looked at her car when I got frustrated with mine.

I figure she took her car somewhere to get worked on, and they busted something, and used duct tape to "fix" it. I pop the hood, and very carefully start to peel back the tape. I start laughing my rear end off which attract my friend with a curious look on her face. I explain that some rear end in a top hat busted the intake hose right at the throttle body. Its busted all the way around with duct tape loosely wrapped around it (not doing anything useful).

I explain about unmetered air, and how that broken hose will make her car run poorly, and get horrible gas mileage, ...

I was able to take the 1/2" bit of hose off the TB, and cram the hose on it and clamp it down good. Its not ideal, but it should work ok.

She starts the car up, and says OH! that light went out. I say, what light, she says that check engine light that has been on for months. :ughh:

She tells me she has another problem, the passenger side door hinge is busted. So I look at it, compare both front doors, and I determine that its missing one bolt that holds the door hinge tensioner to the car. she say OH, well I guess we need to call the dealership or go to a junk yard. I say, well... we could, or we could just dig through my bucket of spare bolts/nuts. The very first bolt I pulled out fit perfectly.

within 1/2 hour, her car was all fixed up. I spend weeks and months working on my car, and her car is all fixed up with 1/2 hour of work :(

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

What kind of car does she have? The intake boot on my Camry ripped so I just duct taped it. I replaced it once with another used one and it happened again. It didn't happen because I tried to remove the boot, it's probably because of old engine mounts and old lovely rubber.

96 camry

That duct tape didnt put itself on there, and she didnt either, and Im pretty sure it didnt come from the factory that way.

Does your car throw a CEL?

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
^^^ drill a hole in the bolt (a little smaller than the inside groove of the threads), and an extractor to remove the bolt. If you cant remove the bolt, you will have to drill oversized hole to tap for a bigger bolt. sometimes they are stuck hard and wont extract without breakng the extractor, but its a lot easier if you can just get the broken bolt out.

I replaced my intake valves and test fitted my head. exhaust valves didnt quite clear :(

pulled the head and replaced my exhaust valves with short ones and put the head back together but was too tired to re-install the head and text.

Maybe tomorrow i'll get it running :smith:

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I installed a head I just re-built for the umpteenth time. I tried cranking it over with a wrench, and It didnt want to go. not sure why, probably something simple and stupid. In the process of cranking I think I broke something. there was a fairly loud pop in my chest, where I was leaning against the car for leverage.

Its not super painful, like I would imagine broken bones are, but it is really achy and sore. I think im done for the day.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
removed the starter in a ford taurus, disassembled said starter, found problem with starter, made a weak attempt at repairing starter, installed badly repaired starter, removed failed starter again, found a good starter, installed starter.

I worked on my 83 starion with a friend too.

We jacked the car up, pulled the oil pan, replaced a set of perfectly good rod bearings, found a busted roll pin stuck on the crank timing chain gear, removed broken roll pin (the problem was the motor wouldnt turn over by hand easily, infact it stuck hard enough for me to break a rib trying!). I still need to torque the bearing caps down and put the oil pan back on.

I also re-injured my broken rib, I could actually feel it move. broken rib is really putting a cramp in my style :smith:

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I removed my oil pump, replaced the pickup seal, put the timing cover back on, put half the oil pan bolts back in, then realized I forgot to put the oil pump gear bolt back :(

I pulled all that stuff off, put the oil pump gear bolt on, and put the timing cover and oil pan back on before the rtv dried.
Time stamps on the pictures says it took me 15 minutes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I had my dash hood off a couple months ago, and found some wire nuts, decided to be careful not to touch them, and pretend I didnt see them.

I've had the car since 1994, and I didnt put them in, so it must have been one of the 2 previous owners.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
replaced rod bearings in the 86 starion, and sealed up the oilpan. when I get the rest of the parts back on the motor tomorrow, and start it up, I better have good oil pressure.

I'll be speaking with bob at mobil oil monday morning about their excellent oil filters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
Bob at mobil says that he's never heard of an oil filter stopping oil flow, and that there is probably a relief valve in my car that may be malfunctioning.

I have no idea where my oil pressure relief valve might be on these cars, and I've taken the motor apart and not found one.

Is there a way I can test the oil filter (with out putting back in my car!)

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and rigged it up on the dash. Oil pressure this morning was real good (over 80 psi cold, 40-60 warmed up).

Drove into town to sign insurance paperwork after switching my insurance back to the starions. put some atf in the power steering resevoir, found oil leaking all over the place, drove back to where I work on the car, cleaned up the oil, did not find where it leaked out of, topped off the oil (was about 1/2 quart low), and found that I now have no oil pressure again :(

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I checked my oil pressure again (while cold), pressure came up nicely, I warmed the car up, still had good oil pressure. drove the car around, no problem with the oil pressure. parked the car and worked on the 83.

I replaced the oil tube on the turbo (had a pinhole that blew oil all over the windshield,(hoodless), turbo and exhaust manifold making smoke everywhere I went. The 83 is running, and not leaking anything, but its not running quite right yet.

After fixing the 83 I went back to the 86. I started it up, and saw no oil pressure. Oh noes! I moved the mechanical gauge and oil pressure popped right up. I think the way it was mounted was putting pressure on the line, causing the gauge to not work. My guess is that since changing the filter, I have not actually lost oil pressure, just the gauge. I still have an oil leak to track down, but Im feeling pretty relived that I dont have an oil pressure problem.

Im going to try painting some of the 83 today, which may not work out, as its going to be over 100 degrees.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
^^^ Under the seats that are in your car.

I started painting my 83 finally. I've painted (but need some fixing) the fenders hood, valance last month. Today I did a bunch of prep and started painting the body.

the 86 Still leaks oil :(

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I've been painting for a week now, getting a little tired of painting :(

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
yet more painting. I did a bunch of cleaning (parts previously 1/2 painted) and have a bunch more painting to do. Thankfully today is nice and hot, so I can definetly get another coat in today :D

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Aquatic Daredevil posted:

Heh, it was running a little rich, was always good to give Pious drivers a load of unburnt fuel as I cruised past. Goddamn eco-hippies. gently caress the planet and all that.

ha ha, gently caress you, dick.

content:
I finally got around to putting a new oil pan gasket in the 86 Starion today. While I was there, I could see all the oil that leaked out all over the underside of the car :smith: even half way down the exhaust... what a yucky mess I've made :(

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I used a rag and dishwashing liquid to clean up the oil that spilled from a raging oil pan leak (several quarts leaked all over the underside, hot side, and down the cat and exhaust piping.)

It was quite yucky and nasty, you should all be jealous.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I swapped out hatch shocks on my starions, and got all the electronics that run off them working right (third tail light, rear wipers)

I was able to repair (with some junkyard parts) something that has been bothering me for 15 years, sadly the 83 still doenst have working hatch shocks. I'll just be happy with my minor victory.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

DreamOn13 posted:

I'm never working on my car without an impact again. :smug: gently caress that.

Oh, well, then you had better get used to tapping threads and pulling snapped studs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I charged the battery, and started the truck for the first time in almost a year.

One of the tires was low on air, so I filled it up, cleaned the windows/mirrors a bit, drove it a mile or so.

Easy peasy day working on the truck.