Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I bought a 95 Jeep Cherokee to replace the Saturn coupe that got eaten by a red light runner last month. I've been discovering a number of stupid things done by the previous owner(s). For example, there was a baking tin jammed up under the transmission (acting as a skidpan, I can only assume).

I found a vacuum assembly that was loose in the engine bay, and managed to track it down to being the heater switch. Said heater switch was removed from the circuit of coolant hoses so that hot coolant was running through my dash at all times. Oh joy.

I gather up two of my Jeep buddies and we get cracking at some cooling system problems. And yesterday was spent on the cooling maintenance. It took a long time for the muddy, rusty, crappy water to run clean as a mountain stream. I replaced the thermostat as well, which turned out to only be a housing with no guts. Who the hell owned this thing before me?

Then we tackled the temperature gauge that never got a good reading. Since the temperature sending unit was the cheapest fix, we purchased another and found its location using the Haynes manual. Lucky for us, and a mind-boggling find, the sending unit had basically crumbled and the wire just dangling against the side of the block.

Replacing that gave me my first temperature gauge readout since I bought the truck.

After bypassing the heater core entirely, flushing the system twice, and replacing the thermostat and temperature sending unit, we got everything circulating properly. The AC runs a lot colder now, all the gauges work finally, and the Jeep runs quite a bit smoother, I think.

We also took about 2 hours to figure out how to adjust the belt using the bolts on the power steering pump. After some putzing around we managed to loosen the belt (which had been rock-tight and squealing like a shot pig). It still squeals when I have the AC on and am starting off from a stop, but under normal operation it's fine.

Hooray for farmers tans, drinking 4 gallons of water, and getting rained out for 2 hours in the afternoon.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU