Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took the 325is to get new tires. Goodyear Eagle GT 205/60/15 V rated, on the stock wheels. MUCH better than the no-name tires that were on there before. The new ones don't have a "whump" at 25mph or a vibration at 35. Monday, new radiator fan goes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This is more what I did for my ride. Picked these up and ordered tires:

Should have the tires early next week!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Transferred my personalized plate onto my Fit:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got my M3 wheels put on the 325iS:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put a new wiper module in the E36 and now I have consistently working wipers!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Does fitting wider rubber help? Though I wouldn't imagine you'd be able to go that wide on the Integra wheels.

Yeah, there's only so much rubber you can fit under the fenders without flaring them. My friend Bill with the 635whp Prelude runs 10.5" slicks at the track, but they stick WAY out. He spins tires until 3rd gear, and even though it's street legal and inspected, he doesn't drive it on the street often because he runs regular rubber. He can't push it hard on the street. I would imagine a 385whp Civic would be in a similar position.

Edit: I finally cleaned the inside of the Bronco's rear windows to get the dog nose-prints off. Also I fiddled with the tailgate window motor and determined it to be dead or have hosed wiring.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 7, 2010

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

ExecuDork posted:

Holy poo poo! Given the current state and mileage of my Prelude, I believe your friend Bill is putting out 8 to 10 times the horses of mine. How does one acheive such insanity from a 2-litre engine? Is it just the shell, with some monstrous other thing under the hood?

It's a 2.2 actually, the H22A. It's actually a fully-functional car, with no weight reduction done to it except the removal of the air conditioning, because it wouldn't clear the turbo downpipe. It sports a full interior with carpet, door panels, power windows, etc.

Here's pics just for fun, even though I've shown them here in AI before:

Exterior

In case you couldn't see the turbo from far away

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 8, 2010

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Crustashio posted:

Sold this rusted hunk after the timing belt snapped. It was a good little car (70,000km without an oil change) but I guess I finally managed to kill it.

edit: god damnit i hate not being able to resize attachments.

Wow, my mom has a 96 Civic LX that doesn't even have 70k km on it. How do you let a car go 70k between oil changes?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Did the rear brake pads/rotors on the BMW, and the factory jack failed/broke/twisted itself to death while I was jacking it up to put a jackstand under it. The car rolled forward, nearly crushing my legs and my son who was watching from apparently too close. I've never had my legs get so dirty working on a car. It's truly amazing how much brake dust the drat thing gives off. Unfortunately, it took so much out of me to do this (my first mechanical job since my accident) that I didn't even have the energy or will to take it for a test drive.

Oh, I also broke a mallet getting one of the rotors off. The car loves me.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

destructo posted:

drat! How were you jacking the thing up? I can't imagine having to get your limbs beneath the car to jack it, but I'm glad you're alright. Also next time you take the rotors off, try screwing a bolt into the hole in the rotor, it'll pop right off.

I was jacking by the factory jack points, which on an E36 BMW are in the side skirts and not under the car. There's a plug you remove and then insert the jack from the side. I had my legs crossed under me, but I was close to the car. I can't really bend over very well to use a jack because of my hip, and this was the first time I had worked on a car since getting hurt, so it's all coming back slowly.

As far as the rotors, I didn't have a bolt handy so I used the tried-and-true rubber mallet to the back of the rotor, and on the third whack, the mallet broke. It only took one more whack with my other mallet to get the rotor off, so it didn't take hours or anything.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

eddiewalker posted:

Those plugs and their associated jack are really emergency roadside use only as you sort of found out. You can also mess up body work using them less than perfectly. They're "factory," but you wouldn't see the dealer using them to lift your car.

A small floorjack isn't very much, and it's a much better choice when you're at home.

Yeah I figured that out yesterday...I do have a large floor jack (5 ton) but it's at my father-in-law's house, which is no excuse for not using it. I used a heavy scissor jack from my truck to get the car back up. It's like learning to walk again, except I feel like a jackass when I make mistakes I already made 10 years ago. Luckily the side skirt didn't take any damage, and when the car fell, it came to rest on the rotor dust shield.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Replaced the radiator in the Bronco today. Went surprisingly well, even though I got the wrong radiator the first time. Took about 90 minutes total, and I only wanted to shoot myself once - when the transmission line fitting wouldn't pop into the fitting on the radiator tank. A little "persuasion" in the form of a light tap with the mallet popped it right in after about 5 minutes of cursing. Thank god for humongous engine bays.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I trimmed my fleet of cars down today. Gave the Mazda truck away to a friend. Also, got a key cut for the Bronco in order to try and get both doors to unlock consistently, but the new key is worse than the stock one.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got another member of the fleet ready for imminent sale. The 93 325iS got its state inspection today, and the sale is supposed to take place on Saturday. 279k miles and it passes inspection with flying colours. This sale will bring the fleet down to a manageable 4 vehicles.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Turned the BMW from this:

Into this:

It's getting sold tomorrow, and the M3 wheels are going up on CL or eBay.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 24, 2010

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

davebo posted:

Wait did you get it painted a slightly different shade of green or did you just wash it and the camera's white balance changed a little?

One was a cell phone camera, the other a regular digital camera, so hence the co,or difference. I actually just swapped the 15 inch wheels back on it to sell it. The pictures were taken a month or two apart, accounting for the different cars in the background.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put the cover on the Shelby which is in the garage, because we're supposed to get a typhoon or something today.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Washed SLO-RICE (the Fit) to get the insane amounts of bird poo poo off of it. I have a dogwood tree, and the Fit was parked under it so when the birds poo poo, they left dogwood berry-colored presents all over it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took it hunting. Tagged a 10 point buck, but unfortunately I only broke its back legs and it dragged itself into a field.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Mr.Peabody posted:

You didn't find any blood, drag marks?

It was raining, and I was too busy screaming at it as it dragged its mangled body off the road with just its front legs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Talked to the body shop this morning about the Fit. It's going to need a new bumper, new grill, 2 new headlights, new radiator, new A/C condenser, new radiator support, new driver's side fender, new windshield cowling/frame, and the passenger side fender needs some small dents/scratches repaired. They're reviewing the estimate and sending it to insurance so maybe within the next day or two I'll know what's up. I have a feeling the insurance company won't total it. That being said, I think I might still get a used car to go back and forth to work, and maybe sell the Fit after repairs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

three posted:

It might be a shorter list to tell us what doesn't need replacing. :smith:

Sorry about your loss.

Well, it's not totaled...almost $5300 in repairs and it's gonna be out of commission for 3 weeks. At least this place is supposed to be the best around, and I only have to pay my $100 deductible.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put a screw in one of the Shelby's front tires. Although that might have been a few days ago, I'm not sure. At least the tire is still inflated.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Put a screw in one of the Shelby's front tires. Although that might have been a few days ago, I'm not sure. At least the tire is still inflated.

Quoting for a follow-up. The screw was only about 1/4 inch long and pulled out of the tire no problem. I sprayed it down with soapy water and looked for bubbles, but none came out. Somehow I lost my tire gauge, so I will have to buy one tomorrow and double-check.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put new headlights in the Bronco. The old ones' reflectors were just rattling around inside the housing, making them useless. This job takes about 2 hours and involves removing the battery and windshield washer bottle to access the bolts that hold the headlight trim/turn signals on, which hide the bolts to remove the actual headlights. To make it more fun, the adjuster screws, which double as the bolts to secure the headlights into place, were stripped and I had to use my drill plus a pair of pliers to get them out. Luckily the new headlights came with adjusters that use a 4mm hex instead of a phillips head.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 23, 2010

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finished my headlight project on the Bronco by fixing the mysterious dimming driver's side headlight and then aiming both headlights. Also tightened up a couple things on the Beetle that were letting in a draft, since I don't have heat in it because of the aftermarket exhaust.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rescued the wife. She got her Routan stuck in her dad's yard (she makes some really bad decisions sometimes) and I took the Bronco over to pull her out. Chained them together, put it in 4-low and 1st gear and just walked it on out.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Picked the Fit up from the body shop. It's been there for a month waiting on parts after a deer decided to stroll out in front of me.

Before:

After:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Started the baja bug and adjusted the idle. It's been sitting under the tarp for a few weeks since it doesn't have heat, and PA winters aren't warm. The idle was around 500, so I pulled it up to about 750 so it doesn't sound like it's going to stall. Also moved it back a couple of feet from its previous position in the alley, just so it gets to move at least a little this winter.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Timmy Cruise posted:

I'd be tempted to take it for a spin in the snow...

I actually took it out last week or the week before a few times. It wasn't snowing, but it was cold! Maybe after tomorrow night's alleged snow I might give it a whirl.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Drove the Shelby today for the first time this year. Managed to get a mild scrape on the plastic front splitter on a particularly low curb.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Replaced the tailgate window motor in the Bronco, and now the window moves, but still doesn't go down all the way. It's binding on something on the passenger side...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A little chain lube and some manhandling and the bronco's rear window now works!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the new wheels for the Cobat SS today, just gotta find time to put them on...

18" Enkeis with 225/40/18 (stock size) Goodyear Eagle GT's.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 26, 2011

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

jshoreflyer posted:

Nice upload a pic when you put them on :smug: I'm tired of looking at my 07's rashed wheels. Im either going to buy a set of 2009/10 rims (which look so much better than the 2005-2008 wheels) or get something like those.

----
I changed my front brake pads and rotors on my Cobalt SS and gave my brothers 2001 Ford Escape its first spark plug change at 118K miles.

Before:

After:

I'm going to sell the stock wheels.

Edit: Wow, 4x4 stance...

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 26, 2011

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Crosspost from the 4x4 thread:

Well, this past week I did the most important thing in the world as it relates to getting a newer Bronco ready for off-roading. I fixed the rear window so I could take the top off! I only do some pretty light trails since the Bronco is stock, so I haven't upgraded any suspension components or tires yet, but the rear window was really bugging me because last year we went up in the mountains (me and the wife and the kids) and couldn't take the top off and enjoy the weather since the rear window wouldn't go down. I replaced the window motor, which then allowed the window to move about 2 inches down, but not all the way. To make it go down all the way, I used about a quarter can of motorcycle chain lube and a lot of manual pushing and pulling on the window arms to free up the gears. Now the window works flawlessly and my summer time fun is looking to be awesome.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Failed to do the front brakes on my Cobalt SS. The drat locating pins are seized in the calipers (drat YOU BREMBO!) so I'm taking it to the shop on Monday. My lovely dying hip can't be sitting on the pavement doing this crap any more.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Spent some quality time with the Shelby's wheels today. About an hour with a soapy car sponge and a wet cloth diaper took care of that rear end in a top hat of assholes: brake dust.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Changed the oil On the Baja bug. I'd been wondering why there was oil on the rear tube bumper and the bottom of the motor, and it turns out the drain plug was a little loose. I put some thread tape on it to be double sure, then snugged it down good. Also gave the back side of the car a wipe down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hypnolobster posted:

People actually use the drain plug on T1 motors? I've always just taken the whole strainer plate out and cleaned everything. That big drain plug always seemed too easy to strip to me.

Well, I saw no reason to take the whole strainer off since the car has a canister filter. I am always wary of over-tightening plugs on every car I change the oil on, but I think one bolt and no prying > 6 bolts and prying plus putting a new gasket on.