Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Waxed the autocross MX-5 to get it ready for winter storage (it has a brand new OEM hardtop that I don’t want to ruin). I’m amazed at how well it cleaned up for being 16 years old and having about 140k miles. This was just a hand wax and buff with a microfiber towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yesterday I stacked all the wheels and tires against the shelf

Which made space to move the MX-5 into the blank space for the winter

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This house is my only debt in the world, thank gently caress. And I bought it nine years ago when the market was reasonable so it might even be an asset!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just got a delivery for the 911

It’s got the LN Engineering extended oil pan so it takes 12 quarts

It doesn’t need an oil change til spring, but better to be prepared…

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

NitroSpazzz posted:

Did the same on the Cayman, extended sump and skid plate. Driving around our garbage roads and occasional gravel section the skid plate has paid for itself. Running the same oil, expensive but that's p-cars.

The other option was the Mobil1 Euro 5w-40, but for the price difference on one oil change per year, the Driven is cheap insurance.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Had a little tear in the stock vinyl shift boot on the FiST

So I replaced it with a Redline Goods leather boot

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wesleywillis posted:

I don't care for white letters out.

I’ll quote myself from every thread where this comes up, black letters out are how god intended it!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KakerMix posted:

BF Goodrich has declared white letters out is how it's supposed to be. Ergo, the correct way, and that's before you get to the (rightfully) already pointed out aspect that they exist at all.

Really, do what you want it's your car. Just know that you are wrong, boring, traditional and uncool.

Oh I don’t even have any tires with white letters as an option. I like to stir this pot every time it comes up since some folk get real ornery about it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

Can I get your opinion on chili before I decide how much of a monster you are? :P
Tell me about hot dogs are related to sandwiches, too.

Chili should have beans but I’m not gonna argue if it doesn’t as long as the spices are right. I’m a bean-chili centrist.

I nothing hot dogs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

NC Upgrades!

Sparco Sprint seat with PCI base and side mounts, and the GWR long shifter.

The seat still has to come out one more time so I can button up the wiring (have to put a resistor in the airbag wire), but the position is dialed in.

The shifter looks a little silly but it feels very nice. Same throw length as stock and similar effort, just with a longer stick so the shift knob is closer to the wheel. Can’t wait to try it on the autocross course.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

In preparation for the nor’easter I put some air in the four wheeler tires so I can plow. They were all at 0.0 psi, which is lower than ideal so I bumped ‘em all up to 6 psi.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FiST blend door motor replacements. Took less than 60 minutes but it was pretty annoying since the driver side is shoved behind the steering wheel.

The driver side was the only one making noise but might as well do both since cost of new OEM parts was only $77

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Intermittent brake light failure on the boy’s RX8. New bulb, cleaned connector, no dice.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took the NC out of hibernation today.

Rolled it out of the corner on the dolly setup

Had to lower it onto boards because it’s too low to take the jack out otherwise

Now there’s a big hole over by the tire wall, and lots of space to wander

And the good news I can get in and out of the new seat with the car on the ground. The car is lowered at least 2” and the seat is 2.5” lower than stock and it will be another 0.5” lower still with the autocross wheels

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

chrisgt posted:

I quite like these from HF, they avoid me having to drive onto boards before jacking for my lower cars.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1300-lb-capacity-self-loading-positioning-wheel-dolly-64601.html

Yeah I looked at those but my religious stereotype kicked in.

WTFBEES posted:

Lowering a Miata's driving position by a total of 4 or 5 inches is wild and rules.

I like ‘em tiny. I’m only 5’10” so I fit fine in the car with the OEM seat, but the Sparco Sprint with the side mount PCI rails gave me the option of dropping it low, so I figured why not? More helmet room at least.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

RX8 - Replaced what’s likely the crustiest exhaust in my memory. Multiple band clamp patches covering horrors, and acres of booger welds, not to mention wtf “pie cuts” and angles.

Replaced with a Megan OE-RS system that wasn’t supposed to come with the front pipe, but did! saving the boy $200 or so

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Popped the summer wheels on the 911. RH Speedline 3-piece in 18x8 front and 18x10 rear. Tires are Potenza RE-71RS in 225/40/18 and 285/30/18

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Powershift posted:

Massively jealous.

Summer tire weather is still probably a month out here.

Also massively jealous of that paint, drat. My black car looks like i've been hitting the trails with it.

Luckily the car lives indoors so if it gets cold, no worries on the tires getting flat or damaged. Next week is supposed to be 50 on Monday then almost 70 for a couple of days so I’ll definitely be having it out.

Paint is definitely nice for 114k miles and 25 years; it was paint corrected just before I bought it in November, and I give it a light wipe down when it gets dusty during a drive (I live in farmland) but it absolutely shows every speck of dust.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

MrOnBicycle posted:

Quicks-jacks are really nice to have, especially when needing more room underneath.

That valve cover looks amazing!

I have the quickjack 5000 and it’s pretty perfect for my low-ceiling garage. Gets the car about 24” off the floor by the sill rails so you have perfect access to suspension, exhaust, engine etc. and you can disconnect the lines and put them away against the wall when you’re done.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

On the Z4:

BC Racing coilovers and sway bar end links. Total 2 hours of work time and zero broken parts or sweating. I am pretty sure I’ve never had that before on a full suspension install.

The rear is perfect but the front might have to come up 1/2”

S2000:

Finally put tires on the wheels I had refinished 2+ years ago. I was running Conti DWS06 on the other stock wheels I have, but I just looked at the date code last week and they were from early 2016…

Kumho Ecsta V730 in the factory sizes.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cleaned the IACV in the S2000.

For some reason instead of security torx, it was screwed together with pentalobe.

Then it was just a matter of very simple disassembly and a bit of ultrasonic and a pipe brush followed by some compressed air to dry.

I would have just replaced it since it’s 23 years old, but they’re $225+ and cleaning is free.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

NitroSpazzz posted:

What ultrasonic cleaner do you have and how do you like it?

I got the HF one for $89 or whatever and it’s great for a budget machine. Does the job.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Adjusted the hardness setting on the Z4 BC coils. Full hardness was making my tits jiggle too much. Halfway seems to be perfect.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Not these tits my guy. Not these tits.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The boy did almost all the work but he doesn’t have an account…

Wash, clay, buff and wax on the RX8. Cleans up nice for a cheap ol’ thing.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cross post from the hot hatch thread:

I installed a rear spoiler riser kit on the FiST. I had to trim 2” off the antenna so it wouldn’t scrape. It’s 2mm away now. We will see if it really keeps the back window any cleaner.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yesterday my NC Miata started blinking the airbag light in the gauge cluster, and the passenger airbag was disabled. I thought it was something to do with the Sparco seat I installed but I read the code and got code 48, passenger side weight sensors.

So today I pulled the seat and drilled the rivets out of the lower rails to pull the sensors. I researched trying to find an elegant solution but all I got were different flavors of “bolt them in tension to a piece of aluminum or each other”, so I decided to just hose clamp them together back-to-back to tension the sensors.

I put them in a plastic bag for now and zip tied them to the lower seat rail temporarily while we 3D print a box to keep them safely tucked into.

What I didn’t count on is the seat rails being tensioned internally by the sensor assembly so they were very loose after the sensor hacking. I normally wouldn’t care as it’s an autocross car that doesn’t see passengers but I didn’t want to hear the rails rattling forever so I put some bolts into the empty holes in the rails and put nuts on the insides to limit/eliminate the rails’ travel.

All in all, loving annoying horrible job just to make a light not blink.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

PhotoKirk posted:

The M3.5 bolts that hold on my rear wiper didn't want to come out.

I win.

Witchcraft!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Background - my wife is probably a little dyslexic and one time she spelled my car’s brand as seen in the license plate below, and when I asked her wtf she was talking about, she asked the question in the frame.

Inside joke, yes, but it’s an easy way to make fun of my wife! (Who puts up with my poo poo with the utmost grace)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Replaced this stock shift knob on the MX-5:

With this cheap-but-less-awkward one:

Yes I know my shifter has an erectile problem.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

cursedshitbox posted:

Time for a short shift swap

This is technically a short throw shifter but with a longer lever.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Gave the nearly-free Infiniti a wash, a quick headlight polish, and a good scrub on the wheels with heavy-duty wheel cleaner.

And then I realized just how massive it is.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I know comparing it to the Miata is unfair and cheeky, but it’s big even compared to my 911. 10” longer and 600lb heavier. Hell it weighs the same as the wife’s 2020 escape AWD.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

It was quieter inside at 70mph than any of my other cars bar the Escape, so I’m pretty pleased with that. It’s obvious that the luxury appointments and power EVERYTHING adds weight, but in a vacuum by itself it doesn’t look massive, until you get it next to actual sports-car sized things.

It will be a much nicer place for the kid to spend time in than the 310k mile base-model ‘99 Volvo V70 wagon.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wifi Toilet posted:

Paint the side mirror caps black

Absolutely in the plans. It was my first thought after washing it and seeing the faded red plastic.

The boy drove the car 50 more miles today, no issues. Car had heat, temp gauge never quite reached half, no smells or smoke or anything else unusual. It was kind of a cool 55° day so maybe not exemplary of what will happen on a hot summer day, but it’s been 90 miles now of various road conditions and I revved it to the moon several times on a 75° day, and that should be enough to potentially see any cooling issues.

I wish I’d touched the coolant hoses right when he got home, but 30+ minutes later the top one was still warm and the bottom one warm-ish. Coolant levels are unchanged, and nothing is spitting out of the overflow.

:iiam:

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 6, 2024

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The $300 g35 needed a y-pipe and front pads for safety inspection so we got the exhaust done today:

Pads on Tuesday when they show up. Total $175 in parts to get it to pass isn’t bad for a basically free car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Typical Miata problems. I had condensation in the left side taillight housing so yesterday I took the third brake lamp housing off to put some trim sealant around the holes. There was a very small drip coming through the left-most opening. No pics of that process because it’s insanely annoying to do for what sounds like such a simple job.

Today I took the taillight off and dried it out with the heat gun and some paper on the end of a coat hanger through the bulb socket.

Back to looking clear and dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I assisted the boy in putting new front pads on the g35. A mere 20 minutes even just lifting one side of the car at a time, probably one of the easiest pad swaps I’ve ever been part of, no doubt helped by the car being from Florida so it has no corrosion.