Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
1989 Chevrolet Celebrity wagon. This wasn't today but it was recently. I used to roll on these 14x6 basketweaves from a Cutlass Ciera GT:

They weren't quite true, and would shimmy on the highway even after having them balanced.

So off they came, to be replaced by these MAD TYTE DUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZ DAWG:

Cost around $140 at Pic-A-Part, and I didn't even have to take them off of a car. They're 16x6.5, and are from a second gen Lumina. Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R16 tires which cost more than the wheels did, $470. Braking is a lot better, ride quality is unaffected despite the tires being quite a bit shorter, and there is no rubbing, even at full lock in either direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I took my car to my mechanic today to have him look at why the cooling fan isn't coming on (AGAIN). He informed me he'd previously wired it to ground through the ECM, and that I probably have a malfunctioning computer. This was backed up by the fact that last time I took it to him he tried to run his diagnostic tool on it and it said it couldn't communicate with the car. He then wired it directly to the ignition so it would come on with the key regardless.

What the hell, I thought, may as well get a "new" computer. Headed off to the junkyard, looking for an 87-89 2.8/4 speed A-body. Wasn't having much luck until I came across a beige Celebrity. And damned if it wasn't an '89! It took me all of five minutes to get the thing out, since someone else was kind enough to do half the work for me.

Anyway, I dropped some new batteries in the camera and documented the process.

Here is the computer I acquired. As I said, it came from a 1989 Celebrity, 2.8/4 speed, full cluster, pretty much all the options my car has. Note the sticker, which reads "REMANUFACTURED BY GENERAL MOTORS CORP."

First step is to, of course, disconnect the battery. Too bad GM didn't have any foresight and made it almost mandatory to move the strut brace.

I don't have an 8 mm wrench for some reason, and a ratchet + socket is too big to fit...

...so it's easier to just pull the battery out completely.

The ECM on this car is actually pretty easy to get to.

Nobody's home.

One side, one side.

You can't hide from me.

GTFO.

Three harnesses are attached.

Check out the sticker. It's old as hell. It fell off when I touched it.

So lonely.

And if you've never heard this one before: "Installation is the reverse of removal."

No check engine light, ran just fine. We'll see if it's solved my cooling problem. If not, oh well, only spent $33 on it. And to stave off the inevitable question, I did not swap the PROMs. I don't trust my clumsy-rear end fingers handling something so delicate.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

mcvey posted:

Did... did you just do a writeup/picture show and tell of replacing a PCM in a Celebrity? :confused:
Yes and no. Technically speaking, since my car has a non-electronic transmission, it's not a PCM—rather, it's an ECM, or ECU. Same purpose, except the only thing the computer controls in the transmission is the torque converter lockup. And I don't see what's confusing about it. I felt it was pretty straightforward. You never know, there may be someone who doesn't know how to do this.

Thread subject is "what did you do to your ride today," this is what I did. Or does the confusion stem from the fact that it's a Celebrity?

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 12, 2009

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

CornHolio posted:

also, :wtf: at that Celebrity battery location
Tell me about it. Mine's a wagon, so I don't even have the option of a trunk relocation. The entire A-body line, from 1982 to 1996 had it like this. Only thing I can think of that is more retarded is the ignition coil location on the MFI engines: mounted to the block between the starter and the front exhaust manifold. You can't get to them from underneath either. I had a sore back and knees for days when I had to replace the coils and ICM.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Guys there's something wrong with my blue car

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Baby Hitler posted:

You're goung to need a bit more than a strap to fix that car's real problem.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I swapped out my worn-out bench seat in my old man Buick Century wagon for some buckets and a console from a Celebrity Eurosport VR I found at a yard. (Click for bigger.)