Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

'night Mother comes to mind, but that's a two-female no-male play. Miss Julie (ooh do that one) is two females, one male. I guess you could sexually invert Sarah Ruhl's Eurydice. Here's a list, here's one of all-female casts, here's one with the limit of one male and any female (so you'll get a lot of one-man shows)...the Dramatists Play Service playfinder is a good place to start.

Oh, I love 'night Mother. I regret missing a chance to direct it at a small local theater. A good choice for female cast. For a much larger ensemble, The Trojan Women is almost entirely female in the main cast. There are also ensemble roles for soldiers and attendants of Menelaus, but that can always be played with.

Had an English teacher tell me an all female cast did the best version of Richard III she'd ever seen. Was an RSC production, but still, a good idea if it can be pulled off.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I wish I'd been around at my school when they did Noises Off. It's vanilla and fun, if you get the timing exactly right. But that's true of all farces. The thing about this play that was drilled into my head by my professor is that the set has to be exactly right, with the doors just so, or the whole thing won't work. The film is good, and great as an adaptation. Has a tacked on 'happy' ending, though.

Like the reviews, Magic Hate Ball. Was in Amadeus recently, and definitely agree with the review. It's too bad the production was overwrought in a few places, and didn't quite get the flow of the script down as it should have. The writing really speeds along in that one. Equus is another favorite, too. Just love Shaffer in general.

Had to do Don't Drink the Water a few years ago. I don't think the director was familiar at all with Allen's comedy, or the concept of subtlety in general. Good lord, that was a painful production.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
We had a great set and rather good rented costumes mixed with some period dresses the university already had. Pretty good in all. My main problem was the director and that his focus seemed to drift and settle on areas that didn't seem at all important.

Our Mozart decided to imitate Tom Hulce's laugh, and the director actually encouraged this. Salieri was also split in two, 'old' and 'young'. The director played the old version and barely learned his lines. The monologus were subject to change at every performance. Young Salieri was a friend and a great actor. I saw him struggle a long time with the monologue about Salieri's betrayal by God and accepting his fate as God's enemy. Then, one night it clicked and I saw something beautiful. The director's notes were "make it bigger and more over the top menacing". Then he had the sound people stick in bell chimes and thunder crashes. What could have been the best moment in the play was ruined. Still miffed about that.

• Locked thread