Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Look Under The Rock posted:

I get to direct my first show (I've been an actor, stage manager, assistant director, and now a producer) and I think my biggest weakness is going to be timing everything. It's a two-person cast with a short-ish script featuring three-page monologues.

I'm really excited, the script is insanely cool, and I'm being allowed to basically run things however I want as long as I've got a show ready by the end of May. But there's my problem -- I have no idea how much rehearsal time is needed. I'm not doing typical auditions at this point; I'm more interested in finding people who connect to the script and who won't get discouraged if the audience is kinda meh about it (small town, experimental theatre, blah blah).

Generally our theatre does 6-8 weeks of rehearsing, I'm concerned that with the giant monologues I may want to budget more time for it. At the same time I don't want the material to get stale for the actors. Rehearsal space isn't an issue at this point, minimal set, props are mostly things I have in my apartment right at this moment.

Any advice on rehearsal schedules would be super helpful. I generally don't even know what day of the week it is.

How long is short-ish? 6-8 weeks sounds like it might be verging on too much time as it is, unless there are other factors at play like the skill level of the performers, the number of hours available per day to rehearse, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread