Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
There's a playwriting thread, but that's all I've seen. I always thought a theatre thread was amiss at SA.

Right now I'm a theatre minor, but I'm thinking about changing that since I really don't like the bureaucracy of Physics. I've tried my hand at carpentry, but a carpenter I was not made to be. I'm more of a lighting and design techie. I also write and want to direct eventually.

Unfortunately I live in Arkansas, so I take whatever I can get (which this year was an Avenue Q tour I missed and Chaim Topol's Fiddler tour). I don't get to see alot outside of community and college theatre, but those are the productions worth seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
The only experience I have during the production is running crew. You have alot of downtime. Being backstage at a show is about a pretty even mix of awesome and boring (and terrifying, when two chairs legs decide to fall off when an actor sits down), but it's a bit disappointing knowing that you never actually get to see your show without looking through curtains that blur everything (our dress rehearsals are private high school shows).

We don't have the best theatre at our school either. It's an old gymnasium building that the school gave us. And we only have two thirds of it, the rest is the school's museum. It's a pain with curtains - we only control one of the two air conditioner units and, without fail, the museum one is always blowing our cyc around like a loving sail.

The auditorium on the other side of campus is worse. It's a proscenium stage, but it has no wings to speak of and it's a pain getting anything through the really cramped and tiny doors. When we did Penzance we were handing (rather large) set units across the threshold to another crew because we couldn't fit in alongside them.

Surely there must be a techie or two on SA.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Why are the Tonys even televised? How much of CBS's market share has seen even one performance of one of the nominated productions?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Daddy Two-Coats posted:

Ooh, I like the idea of a theatre thread. I'm part of an Atlanta Theatre company, mostly doing improv but I did just do a run of Jez Butterworth's Mojo this year. So yeah, if anyone wants to talk 'prov in this thing that'd be awesome.
I'll get that question out of the way then: how the christ do you learn improv? Because it certainly isn't that Spolin book.

Also throwing another one out to the thread, what about graduate schools? As much as I'd like to think that my empty portfolio is Yale School of Drama material, I'm going to hedge my bets on some little school that will give me tons of money. It worked as an undergrad.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Fantasmo posted:

Let's talk some more about the upcoming Spider-Man musical. Who thinks Matthew Broderick should play Peter Parker?
Not without Nathan Lane as Doc Oc.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Does anyone have any obscure favorites? Our director's on sabbatical for the Fall semester and our TD is taking recommendations. I've already tossed The Seagull into the pot and I'm not sure about Hamlet because it's hard enough getting a consistent audience when our stuff isn't four hours long.

I'm trying to dig through the annals of history to turn up some gems that are overlooked for no reason at all. Die Burgschaft looked interesting, but it doesn't seem to have ever been translated into English.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
We do both. We're not very large, but we can still stage basically anything in four weeks. We did the Pirates of Penzance and Earnest last semester and South Pacific over the summer. Last Fall we did Sondheim's Assassins and Brechted the hell out of it (and the school administrators almost cancelled it because of a gunshot).

It was before my time, but we did the Scottish play some years ago. The high school shows were apparently awful for that, there were kids trying to throw coins into the witches' cauldron.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
There's been nothing here in a while. I'm Assistant Stage Manager and Light crew for Alice in Wonderland, Andre Gregory's version (with, thank God, a guest director). I'm going full Jew Stage Manager for our musical and one-acts next semester.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
My Fall production ended up being Alice in Wonderland. Andre Gregory's Alice in Wonderland. It was pretty god drat incredible, especially since Andre Gregory is responsible for my being there in the first place. God, I need to finish The Little Prince.

Next semester we're doing Shakespeare, the Music department got kicked out of our budget and they're doing A Little Night Music by themselves (I'll probably stage manage that, though), and then one-acts (I'm writing at least one of them, possibly two). Since one-acts is probably going to be split into two shows, that's four shows I get to stage manage, and train two ASMs, too. That's probably all I'm ever going to stage manage here before I move on to Lighting.

I really want to do Pacific Overtures and I really want to do Hamlet and I really want to do a Chekhov. Since our school has three categories of show (play, musical, and Shakespeare), this is what I'm lobbying for until I graduate. I think I've got a shot at it, since I have five more semesters here.

Since Pacific Overtures is so minimalist anyway, it'd probably work better as a concert piece than fully staged play. There simply aren't non-singing roles and the book just carries the viewer from song to song. It's not like you can't put casters on a tree and roll it out onto a stage for that one song.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Four more performances of A Midsummer Night's Dream and it's over. It's my first time as a stage manager (I've ASMed before) and it's been a long god drat show. We had to take a break after our first week for SETC, so I got back from Lexington and then hey it's time for a speedthrough, really early 7am call school matinees, and loving photo call. This show's given me C's in all my classes, but I'll have one hell of a cued script for the next SETC job fair.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Speaking of Into the Woods, has the pumpkin carraige ever been staged? Like, ever? I can't imagine a TD in his or her right mind who would waste time and money on such an elaborate set unit that gets two seconds of stage time.

And I think it was you who turned me onto Pacific Overtures, Magic Hate Ball. I watched the recording on Youtube and it's now my favorite Sondheim show. Thanks.

On a more egotistical front, I get to do sound design for our Children's Theatre production (The King of Ireland's Son). What I have in mind right now is working in Whiskey in a Jar wherever I can, into a completely ambient soundtrack. We used to have a Wildlife Biologist grad student hang out with us and he'd play that all the time. We're getting a ten-channel soundboard next semester and I'm hoping to get my own laptop and MIDI controller this summer to run it on. I already have Ableton Live and I've been playing with it some and I want to get our flute player to record the melody of some Irish folk tunes. I'm so excited about this show.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
What area you work in, Hate Ball?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I don't like using cardboard. It has its uses, but I can usually find something that works better and doesn't require as much work. Cardboard warps like a motherfucker the second it touches paint or Kilz and you can always see it. For a wagon like the pumpkin, I don't see it working. You could probably do the facade thing with a flat on wheels with a fixed jack for support, but really it'd just be a waste of lumber and lauan.

I wish Sondheim, and music theatre composers altogether, would vary ranges more than they do. I have a friend who pretty much can't get a leading role for another twenty years because the only leads in her range require a woman at least in her forties.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
My big problem with grad school is that I have to choose between Writing, Designing, and Directing. gently caress that, it's two years away.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

El Tortuga posted:

What's the director scene in this thread like?
I'm my school's stage manager, so I have to deal with director's bullshit on a daily basis. You know, if that counts.

I was surprised that so few people were really accustomed to things I just thought that I should naturally do, like be there to cue actor entrances, check on people going onstage to see if they have their props, see where people are and how things are going. Just things that I naturally thought a manager should be doing. I did, however, go into it thinking that the job was all record-keeping and pre-production work. As soon as Midsummer opened, however, I knew just how wrong I was. You make or break an SM by the performances and how quick they are to react when something goes wrong.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Just out of curiosity, how long did your one acts last? We just did ours last semester and the scheduling was all over the place. We ended up doing three nights of all nine directors, it ran three to three and a half hours with one intermission.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Geschi posted:

My theater group is going to be doing The Government Inspector this fall...and I get to costume it. Should be interesting at least.
If ever there was a chance to use the drunken Abraham-Lincoln-lookalike doctor from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, this is it.

El Tortuga posted:

On the subject of OAP's, my college has a one-act festival every year. I don't know how many people here are from Texas, but it was ran as closely to an actual UIL one-act festival as possible. The plays couldn't have been any longer than 40 minutes or the lights go out and the curtain closes, no matter where you are in the show. I mean, there was a bit of a grace period, but if you still had 5 pages left to go, you were getting the lights turned off on you.

There were 32 shows total, spaced out over six nights, with 5 or 6 shows a night. I was required to go to all of them and it was painful. All the shows were good, but 2 and a half hours of theatre for a week straight is too much for anyone.
Try not leaving your theatre building for three days straight except to go to non-theatre classes. That's basically what things amount to when you have that much work to do, especially if you're light or paint crew and need to be there at night.

I think the Shameful thread in CD has inspired me to take a shot at adapting ComFuture by Margarita Sharapova to the stage. It's a Russian road story where circus performers get lost and have to hop from train to train to try and reach the circus train.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 27, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Named Ashamed posted:

Anybody know some good 10 min plays? I'm going to organize a 10 min fest at my college next semester (hopefully).
David Ives. David Ives. David Ives. David Ives. David Ives.

I was in Arabian Nights last spring, and we also did Soap Opera, Dr. Fritz, Mystery at Twicknam Vicarage, the one with the couple roleplaying and the guy's friend shows up, and probably another one I forgot.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

trans fat posted:

How does an actor from Georgia in his junior year of high school further his career? I have a fairly good résumé; I'm a Thespian, been in several productions with my school, including two competition pieces, and I have been in several community theatre (The Henry Players) shows as well. Does anyone have any advice for a college or a troupe or an agency of some sort? I like Columbus State, but that's sort of reaching for the stars, and I liked Armstrong Atlantic as well.
You go to college and then get a job doing summer stock. Since you're from Georgia, you're going to SETC with me in a couple years (which may be my last year at SETC as a college student). Unfortunately, you'll be in auditions basically always. I'll be getting free stuff from the Rosco booth, hitting on dancers, and consuming alcohol. (Nah, you'll have time and it's really fun/dangerous putting that many theatre people in such close proximity)

Your odds are made infinitely better by being an actor-techie. I have two friends who worked at Pioneer Playhouse in Kentucky this summer and one acted in most of their productions on top of doing props and costuming and such.

Actually, you should definitely go to next year's SETC since it's in Atlanta and there's plenty of high school attendance there. And even if you don't get anything, there's a guy from the New York Film Academy who runs a really small 10 minute film contest (like 12 people entered in 2009) that'll get you a free summer there. I don't know who's doing the keynote next year, but this year it was loving Judith Malina.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 19, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Named Ashamed posted:

Would anyone point me in the direction of some interesting graduate programs for playwriting and direction?

I still have 3 years left of my undergraduate English and Theatre major, but I'm looking ahead for a graduate program after that. The only ones I know of right now are Iowa Writers' Workshop and Yale School of Drama, both of which are badass for their own reasons.

It would be foolish to stop the search there, especially since they both seem very hard to get into (what up, Yale?), so I'm interested in any type of graduate program for Theatre.
My design professor went to Carbondale and my actor/director professor went to Tulane. For whatever that's worth.

I've heard the Eugene O'Neill Theatre Institute is good. The kind of good that means you don't even have to go to grad school.

Geekboy posted:

We're a community theater group of all volunteers, so theoretically the cast for every show could be completely different but it usually consists of the same core group with a few new faces and stragglers here and there.
This is the way educational theatre works, too. You fight tooth and nail to hang on to new blood.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I have no idea what I'm going to do for grad school (two years away starting Monday fuuuuck) since every theatre grad program demands that all programs be separated because only small theatre programs are intelligent and let people train in multiple disciplines and make them unemployably overqualified.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I just got the best carpenter's Christmas ever: a screw gun, a skil saw, a sawzall, an angled-head light, a solar-powered LED light (well, electrician's christmas in this case), some gloves, and a loving rad toolbelt. I also got a magnetic armband from a graduating friend for holding screws and, more importantly, safety pins.

If you ever see a stage manager that isn't a carpenter or electrician or both, they're a god drat spy. (That said, I entertained the idea of Assistant Costuming this semester before I realized how many classes I was taking)

Also, I get to direct next Fall. I just spent all of last semester getting really into Brecht and I'm about to finish Boal, so I have in mind a really specific idea and just need to find a play to match it. Basically, my school loving hates the theatre program and, I think, is trying to phase it out.

Right now, the head of my school's liberal arts college is sitting on the decision for us to stage Ragtime next semester because of guns and ignorance. He won't turn it down, but he's going to sit on it and run down the clock until we give him something else. On top of this, we're losing our offices and classroom, so inside our found space shop that we turn into a black box for each and every god drat show we do, we're losing our light room and most of our stock storage so we can fit our classrooms inside.

We're pissed. We're really pissed. From the perspective of the company, we want action. However, we're the actors and techies, not the spectators. The people watching this will be the ones with their hands around our collective throat. So I'm going to force them to be spectators, I'm taking the action out of their hands and placing it in ours -- but I want them to think. I want them to think about what they're doing to us and to feel that we have a right to exist.

To that end, if I could stage Fitzcarraldo in our space, I would. But if you're not actually hauling a 320-ton steamer over a mountain then the message seems a little lost in translation. I have Threepenny Opera in my back pocket and I really want to see the bear from Ubu the King explode into confetti, but it just doesn't seem to fit that precise niche I want to stage. Is this what Piscator was talking about when he said that there weren't any proper plays for him to stage?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
A by no means all inclusive list, but some things you should definitely keep in mind.

*Hire a Technical Director and have, at the least, Set, Lighting, and Costume Designers before you even think of rehearsing. Even before auditions, if that's at all possible. A TD that knows how to work with a practically non-existent budget is a thing of magic. Also, your TD should know where to get cheap lumber in your town and how to recognize what Class D white pine lumber isn't too lovely to use.

*The Set Designer chooses style, time period, and set colors. The director gets the final say. Then the Artistic Director steps in a week or two after the decision has been made and takes a huge poo poo on the production table.

*If you don't have a reliable Stage Manager, you're not going to get anything done. Period. This is just as important as having a Director and Technical Director. (I'm available :v: )

*You can only rough block until you get some levels and a floor plan from your Set Designer. Once you have that, you'll have to reblock it in detail (which can just be on your first runthrough since your actors will probably be pretty rusty on the earliest blocking you've done)

*Your Props Master, Paint Charge, and Master Carp are not doormats. Treat them with respect because they're doing a loving ton of work for you without complaint. Props Masters are some of the biggest whipping posts in theatre and your Paint Charge is not only the person with the know-how to prevent you from spending a drat fortune on paint, but the person capable of delivering the exact colors the director agrees to on the Set Designer's front elevations.

*Your entire techie crew - save maybe your costumers since they have enough poo poo on their plate - should expect to double as either carpenters, electricians, or painters. Carpenters should own at least a screw gun, everything else should be provided by your TD.

I've been trained in or have done just about every job there is to do on a show. If you have any questions then shoot.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 29, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Named Ashamed posted:

Is anyone here experienced with producing Fringe Festival Shows?

I'm applying to the Minneapolis 2011 Fringe Fest lottery.

The thing is, I'm also applying for Fee Deferment. This requires that I give a fairly accurate forecast of what I expect to spend and earn with this show. There are even specific categories to fill out and total up, as you can see on the 2nd page of this PDF.

I've never been the producer or had anything to do with the financials of professional theatre, even a fringe show like this. Essentially, aside from throwing out a random lump sum like "maybe $2000?" I have no clue at all.

I'll be writing the show, so no royalties. Minimal scenery, but costume design might be more intricate than usual. We're probably going to try to market and publicize like crazy too.

Anybody with prior experience in Fringe Fest shows have pointers and ballpark estimates for what I should be budgeting for?
You're going to need an expectation of labor and material costs. The TD is the person who will look at a set design, plan out the set units from that design, and then analyze material costs and build times. The Costume Designer will handle the same kind of build schedule for your costuming.

1. Do you have a Technical Director?
2. Will you have any stock to pull from?

Touring sets usually build light plots out of the performance space's on-hand inventory based on an adaptable plot created by the lighting designer.

*edit*
Do you have a company that's working on this? What exactly do you get out of applying to Fringe? I mean, is it just some festival you bring your touring set to and perform?

Estimations really aren't too hard, you just need to have an idea of what you're looking at and know your local pricing options.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 30, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Well, you're definitely going to need a director. Three months is a huge amount of time to put a show together.

Drag in as many professors and fellow techies as you can. As far as pricing a build goes, it only really comes down to how many flats and platforms you need and how much it costs to build one in your town. Your professors will almost certainly encourage any kind of independent work their students are trying to produce (unless they're assholes who want things done their way)

Like I told Golden Bee, getting a production team (Director, SM, TD, designers, and Publicity) together would probably be step one to producing one of your own plays. Pricing everything out is going to depend on what you want to do. Keep in mind that most of the people doing this won't be producing new work, they'll be staging a pre-existing play.

Something to look at as Production Manager is to count the seats, look at ticket prices, and figure out what kind of revenue you're looking at here.

If you're a playwright, you should be on The Loop and start sending stuff out to everything you can.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Actually, that's one thing I have no experience with. Our space doesn't have a fly system.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
We have a found space that we turned into a black box. It's a really old gymnasium that's part of a building we share with the school's Museum. Everything is in there, shop, light and paint rooms, costuming - and now that we've lost our class and office space, it's the only remaining classroom we have. We don't even have a lighting grid, we have trusses 18 feet up that we lay gas pipes across. We have a cherrypicker that looks like a siege tower to get up there.

We experiment with pulleys in lieu of a fly system from time to time. Having something descend from the trusses is something that always winds up in One Acts. I had a build a puppet for a Giant in the children's show we just did. The leg was eight feet tall and a rod puppet that two people carried while another operator was on a rope pulley arm that ended up being 10 1/2 feet long. It was holding this pin that it stabbed poo poo with, so one slip and it would fly down and impale one of us in the face.

We don't have too too much wing space, so any set changes will usually be something flipped around that's on casters or sliders. Every now and then we'll have some big impressive set piece that we have to haul on. For the children's show we had two masters of the universe (two Hollywoods screwed together to make an 8'x8' flat) close together and we used that cover to bring a twelve foot tower onstage (theoretically at least, between the tower and the squeaky casters on another flat we spun around, it sounded like we were constructing the thing then and there).

All in all, I'm glad that I have this kind of make-do-with-what-you-have experience - or I would be if the school would stop taking poo poo away from us and unfairly censoring us. And our space is much better than the school's auditorium. It has a few acoustic dead spots (center-center stage will be silent from center-center house) and the center line for stage and house is off by like a foot and a half. We're not allowed to touch the sound board and the lighting grid can't be lowered without a key that our techie professor has (and a light call with her is not a very fun light call. I love her, but she's gone off the deep end this last semester)

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Golden Bee posted:

It kind of feels like cheating.
Cosa nostra. Theatre is an insider's game.

So I just talked to one of my professors yesterday and got some pretty lovely news. During the Fall semester, the instrumental music majors - including the orchestra for musicals - are completely beholden to the football team. This means that we can't ever have musicals during the Fall, so I can't do Threepenny Opera. That blooows. Not only that, but the new department head wants to know the theatre program's plans a year in advance, so I have to decide on my play today.

I'm thinking of Red by John Logan. It addresses alot of the artistic ideas I want to present and DPS is licensing the manuscript. Unfortunately, I've only read about it and seen some footage, I haven't read the drat thing yet.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

OSheaman posted:

Red was on Broadway last April and DPS is already licensing it? Crazy.
I know. It's still only being sold as a photocopied manuscript, but they're licensing productions of it and everything. I really like the way it handles the creation of art and I think it'll be alot of fun to work on. Unfortunately, no female roles and only two characters, so no easy triangle blocking. It'll definitely be a challenge.

Pious Pete posted:

I'm more or less trying to get a feel for the "black comedy" genre and why its effective. The use having an audience experience both laughter and discomfort in the same sitting. I'm also particularly interested in the use of gruesome images on the stage, especially in comedies. I'm just running off recommendations/summaries at this point though, as I won't be reading them until the course starts in the spring, so any opinions on the current selections or recommendations would be appreciated.
If you're doing dark comedies, you need need need to look at Ubu the King. You could probably benefit by some Ionesco and Beckett and Albee and maybe some Dario Fo, too. The Lieutenant of Inishmore is a great choice, though.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 6, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Does Chicago have any grad schools that are interdisciplinary? I'm looking for an MFA program, but I don't want to have to choose between directing and writing and technical work.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Sammy French left us high and dry and never got back to us, so we're not doing Chicago. Now we're just doing our student directed full-length that, god bless her, I just can't get behind. The whole thing seems like an adolescent take on an Orwellian dystopia, complete with commentary on aged modernist analytic philosophy. The two main characters are adolescents in a world of faceless, mask-wearing adults and the whole time I kept thinking this feels a whole lot like The Giver.

My hopes and aspirations for this semester are going downhill fast. At least my professor's going to get back to me about Red.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Theatre by the Sea requires musical experience of their stage managers :negative:

My school sucks.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Geekboy posted:

The problem is that so many monologues are so masturbatory. My eyes just glaze over and I hear Jon Lovitz yelling "AAAC-TING!" when I see/hear them. They have a lot of power when done right and are a perfect encapsulation of everything that's wrong with pretentious script writing when they're not.

Sadly, there doesn't appear to be a video on all of the internet of him doing that. Stupid NBC and hulu.
Red is full of monologues for exactly this reason. Mark Rothko is an egotistical intellectual and gets off big time on lecturing to his assistant.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Golden Bee posted:

Sorry, I didn't know what you meant as an actor.

Think of how you'd clear an elevator, or invite someone you don't know to come into a cafe you're in. Use your elbows to make a 'give me space' as if you're going to spread yourself very wide.

I'm wondering what directing books this thread reccomends. I've only directed for television and film, not really stage in a coherent way.

I heard good things about "The Empty Space" and "The Director Decides".
The Empty Space isn't a book about directing so much as it's a book about theatre as a theory. It's in the same boat as Towards a Poor Theatre, The Theatre and Its Double, Theatre of the Absurd, Theatre of the Oppressed, ... It's written from the director's perspective so it'll offer some insights, yeah, but if you're wanting to learn how to control focus or coach an actor you'd be better off with Francis Hodge or Uta Hagen.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
The Trojan Women is always a good standby when you've got a bunch of women and don't mind losing your job.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I've come back to the theatre thread for my periodic check-in. I graduate next Fall and by this point I won't have any more theatre classes.

My last scene in my Directing class was from The Lieutenant of Inishmore. It was that scene from the Lieutenant of Inishmore. I blew a paper-mache cat the gently caress up. We had a compressed air rig that would shoot a load of blood and frozen jello gore from a cup we sunk into the model's neck. Then we put a model head on top of it with a loose skull-plate that would fall off and spill blood when the charge shot it off. Cost a hundred bucks and was loving magnificent. Even better, it's god drat reusable. I ended up winning Best Director in the class for my previous scene, though, which was Red.

Never got my show for the Fall, which was going back and forth between Threepenny Opera and Red, but I'm assistant directing Candide. Really I'm going to be spending most of the summer and fall semesters writing plays and getting a grad school paper ready to send off to America's various and sundry PhD programs. I have decent chances with Northwestern (and I think my professor has my term papers floating around there...), but I'm still trying to land Columbia.

OSheaman posted:

Honestly? I would love to do some more physical work . . . maybe physical comedy, like Commedia or clowning. Or maybe Beckett? I dunno, just something different.
Check out Dario Fo and check out the San Francisco Mime Troupe. Most absurdists really aren't funny and Beckett's probably the worst offender. If you want clever (not funny, clever) absurdists, go with Ionesco and Stoppard.

Black comedy and savage comedy are tech-heavy out-of-nowhere delights. The Lieutenant of Inishmore requires an average of five gallons of blood per performance and Ubu the King, besides the several mass battles and massacres in the play, has a bear get shot and explode.

*edit*

Coffee And Pie posted:

So, I just ended my first play recently, and I enjoyed it enormously. Unfortunately, since I'm still looking for a job, and I'm a student as well, free time and experience are not things that I have, so it's not like I can just do another play. What do you guys do to cure your post-show blues?
There's never an excuse to cease praising Dionysus, so keep drinking and loving until the next show comes along. As others have said, drinking and loving with employed techies will probably get you a job.

*more poo poo to tack on*

FizFashizzle posted:

Walked off trying not to laugh. Last time I did SETC, when I was still in college, I received 47 callback. This time I received not a god drat one. I have completely forgotten how to do theater auditions like that.

Oh the Stella Adler Acting Academy pre-accepted for their summer acting intensive (3,000 dollars yay) and Tecumseh outside Columbus was crazy for me but I'd rather join the military than do outdoors drama.
The only good thing to come out of Atlanta for me was the Trinidad dialect workshop. That was fun. Other than that it was me hoping to impress the Weathervane guys and then running around town experiencing all the outdoor elevators the city had to offer. I'm probably not going to SETC again, stage manager competition was loving unreal. I had a guy hand me back my loving resume and call me a general tech just because I'm a good loving techie. No thanks. My time would have been better spent on the other side of the divider looking at grad schools.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 19, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
My writing is still really experimental. I'm really well versed dramaturgically so I'm playing around with a broad range of ideas and trying to incorporate that into actual stagework. My whole theatrical perspective is to cover every perspective and the full spectrum of theatre history and dramaturgy, and to use whatever will work for any given purpose. Kinda like Jeet Kune Do or the pastiche aspect of postmodern literature, and tempered with the preparedness and flexibility that I got from stage management.

Alot of my playwriting I don't really mean to shop around and I don't think I have any single work that's ready for public consumption, but my essays and stuff can probably hold water. Once I get back into town in a week or two I'll dig through my student drive and see what I can post.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
This was a theatre history test of mine, I had to trace Chekhov realism and naturalism back from Neoclassical theatre. I passed out after the first paragraph. I woke up two hours before it was due and had to finish it while fighting off that panic attack, but I think it's my most shoppable paper. I think it could stand some revising if I want to use it as a sample.

For my Children's Theatre final we had to blend together the techniques we were taught to teach some randomly assigned theme to everyone else in the class. I got religious tolerance, so I used a forum theatrey drum and rhythm thing. I wrote this for it, but it was mainly a cheat-sheet to lead the rest of the class through. People enjoyed it and some got something from it, but I had some trouble reigning in people towards the end. I learned alot about applying Boal to an audience, so it worked as an experiment. I also understand why hippies like drum circles now, that poo poo is magical.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Golden Bee posted:

Show me the stuff, because "I use everything" is kind of the default perspective. Unless you're a "True Believer" in one theory or another, most people use what seems right for the case.
I know the movements and what they do, and I know the postmodern continental aesthetic that theatre's been simmering in since the late 60s. I have a compelling need to try and marry that continental aesthetic with analytic philosophy and the kind of skeptical empiricism that I learned as a mathematician and physicist. The closest I think theatre's gotten was the absurdists (which pretty much was continental married to analytic, in its own way), but even Pinter's subtleties were defined in large brushstrokes. It all pretty much comes from my dissatisfaction with the ideas of communication behind absurdism, because I could see a very different image of how communication and interpretation worked. Or, I guess, a more specific and clarified one.

I'm mainly toying with the ideas of postmodern subjectivity and overlaid functions of language, and the idea of imperfect information and uncertainty and reinterpretation. I've been reading Black Swan lately, and I don't think I could have found a more perfect book to take me down this line of thought.

And that, combined with Candide this Fall, will hopefully give me a stronger foundation when approaching the idea of breaks in causality and random events. The free will/determinism argument of the absurdists didn't really do it for me, either. It wasn't encompassing enough.

I need to stop talking about it and start collecting more citations and writing :smith: Time to start digging through Esslin and Taleb, and until I have a play out of this it's all non-experimental hooey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Why the hell is that dowser over $200? DMX does insane things to price point. You can do the same drat thing with a piece of black cloth and a string.

• Locked thread