Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Just got cast as a Confederate soldier in The Civil War. My theater is doing it as part of the 150th birthday of West Virginia, so there should be all sorts of people coming in from all around the state. David Selby is going to do the voiceover as Lincoln in the show. He is from Morgantown, and shamefully, I have only scant knowledge of who he is. Apparently he was in the original Dark Shadows?

It appears to be a very powerful show, so I'm excited, plus I get to die onstage during the climactic battle. Awesome.

We have a lot of issues getting men for these shows, so I always make sure to do these shows that I'm not too invested in so that whenever a show comes along that I AM interested in doing, I have a better shot at getting a role that I want.

We're doing Chicago after this show, then Les Mis in the Fall. Again, full of shame, I have never seen Les Mis and don't understand why everyone is in utter rapture about getting the rights to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
It is funny because at the annual business meeting a few months ago, they were saying that for about 10 years, there has been an account set aside strictly for the rights to Les Mis if they ever became available.

And I hear that they were not cheap.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Bumping this thread :)

My theater is doing "Chicago" the first two weekends of August, so we only have five weeks to get it together. Within the first eight minutes of our first rehearsal on Monday, the director mentioned "diet" twice.

I've been "training" for this since April. I was told specifically that I would be "guy with no shirt" for the show, so in addition to my usual weight training that I do (I'm obsessed with it. I average about six days a week, 2.5 hours per day) I'm doing cardio and dieting.

It does stink at times though. I fall right into the category of Billy Flynn. I can sing and I have a comedic tilt to my acting (director's words, not mine) and I'm handsome (.....okay, those are my words :) ) but I never had a shot at Billy Flynn because the director needed me shirtless. Even after the original Billy Flynn had to drop out, I knew I wasn't even in the running to replace him. :(

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Tech Week for my theater's production of Godspell is here!

We had our first run-through with the orchestra yesterday. It went really well.

I wasn't even supposed to be in this show. I didn't audition and it didn't really interest me, but a few weeks into the rehearsals a guy had to drop out, so the director called and asked if I would step in. I'm so glad I did. I love the cast and I actually get my very first solo (We Beseech Thee)

I do have a question though, for some of you more theater-minded people. How does your theater go about publicity? All we do is basically put up posters, mail postcards, get a spot on a few news channels, and have both papers in the city come and do stories.

Does anyone have any creative ways to publicize a show?

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Oh, yeah, I forgot, we do FB stuff. We all change our profile pictures and banner pictures to the show and do event pages, etc.

Although, to be fair, Charleston, West Virginia, is MUCH smaller than Chicago, so it's far easier to get television spots. :)

• Locked thread