Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
So, since Jan 5th, I've been available every Monday and Wednesday from 1-4pm for set and costume construction. Had to come in over Spring Break and finish up the set (which looks relatively nice, and my arms look muscly again!). Then I talked to the costume designer. Who wants all the costumes made. And hadn't talked to me whatsoever. She still wants everything done by hand. By Sunday. She gave me the patterns today. After two whole months. It's days like this when I hate theatre. Please tell me non-college theatre is better than this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
So, my university might put on "The Laramie Project" next semester (read that to mean I'll be directing it or designing it). And we might also be doing "Noises Off!". Now I know what both are, kind of, and I'm waiting for them in the mail so I can read them. Just wondering what opinions were, if you guys had done either show and had stories, advice, and general knowledge?

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Slashie posted:

I was in Noises Off once in summer stock. It's bland and pleasant enough. It can actually be pretty funny if you have a good cast. If you've never directed or designed a farce before, you're going to need to do some research on that. Farces live and die by the set, and the acting style generally needs to be a little more pantomime than modern actors try for.

Also, I read Black Comedy when I was hanging out in a theater reading through their stack of old plays as a youth. Memories...

For Noises Off! I'll definitely be costume designing. With the Laramie Project, I'll either be directing (and designing, because it's really hard for me not to do both) or just designing it while a friend of mine directs. The nice thing about Noises Off! is that its for the Theatre Department, so it means that we'll have a professional director. The Laramie Project is being put on by the Queers and Allies group next semester as a fundraiser type deal.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
I'd recommend seeing Nine only for Marion Cotillard. The plot is just as jumbled and Daniel Day-Lewis isn't likeable enough to pull the show together. Costumes as always are beautiful.

I'm seeing 39 Steps on Thursday at the Alley Theater. They usually do good stuff, and even if the the play sucks, the designs of everything is good enough to keep me entertained.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Named Ashamed posted:

My Theatre professor gave the class a challenge of reading every single play performed in class, suggested for monologues, or produced on campus that year. The final list has 129 plays, many from playwrights I've never heard of until that class.

One of my discovered favorites is Steven Dietz. Is anyone familiar with his work? Information on him has been hard to track down. His plays always have a very powerful theatrical atmosphere to them, almost like a type of magical realism. Besides that, the plays I've read never lose energy and often have memorable images and moments. I highly recommend "Lonely Planet" and "More Fun Than Bowling".

My university put on "Private Eyes" by Dietz. Helped build the set for it, and ran lights. I wasn't that impressed with it, to tell you the truth. But it might be because we had so much drama with the actors that it made me kinda hate the play. However, the script is decent.

I'm been hearing a lot about Itamar Moses. I've also really liked the little I've read of Rebeca Rebeck.

Edit. I forgot to talk about Dietz writing style. It is quite similar to magical realism in the loopy time line, weird repetitions of scenes, situations, etc. He's not a bad writer, but he's definitely a challenge to stage and direct.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

My big problem with grad school is that I have to choose between Writing, Designing, and Directing. gently caress that, it's two years away.

Amen, except for me its one year away.

I've heard from a lot of people though to take a couple of years off and teach high school, since you get to do a little of everything. It's what you don't end up hating that you get your masters in.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Named Ashamed posted:

Anybody know some good 10 min plays? I'm going to organize a 10 min fest at my college next semester (hopefully).

I'm in the same boat. Look at Teresa Rebeck's Katie and Frank. I liked it a lot, but it has the type of ending that you either hate or love. Itamar (Moses also has good stuff that's short. If you or anybody else knows anything, please post. I need five plays and I'll be starting my search in a couple of weeks.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
I wish I could help, at the moment I am sitting in a dress rehearsal for Noises Off! and trying very hard not to run up there, stop everything ,and ask them what the hell they are thinking...

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Anybody else directing Vagina Monologues for V-Month thingy?

I am as a favour to the Women's Resource Centre at my University, and we haven't even started yet and I'm annoyed at all the requirements.

Personally, I'd love to cast men in some of the parts, and yet I can't as per the stipulations. The actor either has to be a woman or be living as a woman.

I wonder if I can convince somebody to live as a woman.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

El Tortuga posted:

Just my opinion really, but if you would cast men in The Vagina Monologues, then you might as well not do the show at all because what's the point? Likewise, on the subject of the transgender monologue, having anyone else performing it other than a man who is now living as a woman would be both an insult to The Vagina Monologues and transgendered people.

I'm not saying I would cast, I haven't gotten the script yet. I just feel like the Vagina Monologues have been done so often, that they lack an umph factor to it. Depending on the monologue, I was thinking it could be interesting to bend gender roles, not as a parody but as a way to elevate the monologue (am I making sense?). I was just a little disappointed that no men are allowed on stage at all.

Edit: This is why you don't agree to direct a play as a favour...

The Pillowman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 19, 2010

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Anybody worked with "My First Time" before?

Or have any suggestions/tips/things to look out for with sexuality plays?

I'm directing "My First Time" and "Vagina Monologues" this year. My campus is rather liberal, but it is in Texas, and people like to complain about plays anyways. So, if anybody has any ideas that would be cool.

The very big problem I'm having is that, in "My First Time" there's a speech given my a Baptist minister about how pre-marital, or promiscuous, homosexual, so on and so forth, sex will leave you in hell. Last year's director took the sarcastic route and offended a bunch of people (he thought the campus was much more liberal than it is apparently). Anyways, I'm being asked NOT to take out the speech, but I'm not really sure how to approach it without pissing everybody off.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Thanks for the advice.

Last years director is a good friend of mine, and I know he was really concerned about the monologue, especially because it's a giant condemnation of homosexual sex and he's gay.

I'll be honest with the monologue. My concern at this point is the people on college campuses who love to complain bitching about these plays for these monologues and then trying to stop sexuality plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Anybody have any experience or advice about Nunsense?

Or even any good Youtube videos you might know of, I'm trying to see if it would be a good fit for my University.

• Locked thread