Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

wel accually u forgot Dolan
:smug:

Sondheim is pretty drat smug, with good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

There's not a tune you can hum.
There's not a tune you go bum-bum-bum-di-dum.
You need a tune you can bum-bum-bum-di-dum —
Give me a melody!

Why can't you throw 'em a crumb?
What's wrong with letting 'em tap their toes a bit?
I'll let you know when Stravinsky has a hit —
Give me some melody!

It really is one of Sondheim's best musicals, it's a shame it "flopped". The ironic thing is that he set out to write a more accessible score, which I think he succeeded in. Unfortunately I think the quasi-autobiographical subject matter was too indulgent. The audiences can get past the backwards narrative, but the story about the struggling artist probably isn't accessible enough to a mass audience.

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sondheim's music always has the best orchestrations, at least on the original cast recordings when the orchestra was huge because you get all these wonderful things that pop up and out at you when you least expect them. That's what, to me, separates Sondheim's music from the music of so many other Broadway composers. There's nothing simplistic about it whatsoever, the vocal melody and the score are always working together to form counterpoints and harmonies and there's always so much buried in what, in too many other shows, is just the background noise for the singer.

Basically what I'm saying is "omg stephen sondheim".

I suppose you would have to give some credit to Jonathan Tunick then, as he has orchestrated most of Sondheim's work since Company. Sondheim is indeed in a league of his own, though. I can't think of another genre of art where one person basically dominated the field, the way Sondheim did for the 20 or so years between Company and Into the Woods. Another recent example, that is.

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I wish Sondheim, and music theatre composers altogether, would vary ranges more than they do. I have a friend who pretty much can't get a leading role for another twenty years because the only leads in her range require a woman at least in her forties.

Alto, I'm assuming? I suppose traditionally soprano parts are given to the young heroine, while older women are given the lower alto ranges. It's similar to the convention of older male authority figures as basses in operas. Yeah, it's surprising looking at Sondheim scores, something like A Little Night Music. It seems like most of the female roles are for alto. A lot of the writing for females is well below middle C, down to around a low E.

I dunno, I would assume that there are directors out there who are looking for the best voice for certain roles, regardless of age.

Parsifal fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 5, 2010

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

Speaking of Sondheim, I netflixed the recent release of Evening Primrose. It's worth checking out if you're not familiar with it. It aired as a television special in the 60s, and although it only has 4 songs it's vintage Sondheim. The plot is pretty bizarre, involving a man who wants to get away from society and live in a department store. Anthony Perkins is ok as the male lead, but the female lead's acting is pretty bad. Recommended for die-hard fans.

• Locked thread