Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hello theatre thread.

I have been working as a stagehand or doing related stuff for the past 15 years. Somehow I never though to look in CC for a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Honestly a huge amount of tech people are pretty dismissive of degrees and would always rather have someone with experience. Doing free or poorly paid work is the fastest way to meet (and hopefully) impress people who will hire you for better stuff. I don't think I hav ever met an LD who didn't spend a few years humping feeder.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
You should also be able to leave with a bunch of work contacts. That to me seemed as valuable as the piece o paper. Hell, I only lasted a year in college and I quit because I was getting so much work that first summer I didn't see the point of going back.

You also need some balls to get tech jobs, I have never taken a gig really knowing how to do the job I was being hired for. If you are a reasonable smart person and arent a weird troll (which sadly describes a lot of hands) people will often take a chance on you.

This post is being typed from an airport bar from which I am on my way to my second ever freelance production management job. Do I know what I am doing? Maybe, but I am here because I did a similar job really well and someone decided to give me a shot.

As an aside, always trade money from your day rate for per diem money, airport and hotel bars will kill you over time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Oh, as an actor or director it is essential to get that level of training and experience. On the tech side, there is usually an abundance of work so personal connections matter much more.

Also a company in DC did a silent Hamlet and it was pretty amazing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I just want to throw out a "you dang kids and your newfangled LEDs. Now a 6x9, that was a damm light. "

It is really amazing how far poo poo has come in the 15 years I have been doing this. This morning I did my first non theatre lighting call in like 3 years and other then the S4s, didn't recognize any of the other fixtures.

I still dress cable better and faster then you punk kids.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Named Ashamed posted:

I'm looking for some advice on a prop for a One Act I'm directing.

I'd like the stage to be very dark and my two actors sitting around a bonfire. Ultimately the primary effect I want is my actors illuminated by a red glow effect like they're camping in the woods. If the effect could also flicker subtly and if there might be a way to create a crackling sound effect that would be nice, but the only necessary factor is the red glow.

The piece is a verse drama so I cannot allow something like a Halloween prop that has a goofy cloth flame that waves around due to a built in fan. Unfortunately those are all of the top hits through my search since I have little experience with Theater Vendors.

Can someone point me in the right direction for this kind of effect?

There are some very realistic props of the type you are talking about, but they are a bit expensive. I believe Rosco makes/made a good one.

You could also get some small DMX controllable fixtures, g el them up and write a macro to make the flicker effect. Small speakers could provide the sound. You could also do this with a tablet computer if you can figure out how to program the flickering lights.

I mean, a red glow is lighting 101 but without knowing your budget it is hard to offer specific advice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The difference between a production manager and a lighting designer have now been illustrated.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Almost any decent folding knife can be made into a prop knife by replacing the blade with either aluminum, hard rubber or even frosted lexan. It does take some skill to make and fit the blade however.

Benchmade also makes training knives for some of their more popular lines but they are expensive. Knifecenter.com sells them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I typed up a long thing and then read you live in NYC. Local 1 is going to be tough to get into.

I semi recently worked with a great non union crewing company up there. Sadly it's name escapes me. If you shoot me a PM on monday I will make some calls and find their name.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I may be moving to St Louis in the near future, does anyone know anything about tech jobs and such out there?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Burger Crime posted:

The three places recommended to me when I was thinking about moving to St. Louis were

The Peabody

The Sheldon

The Fox

but my move didn't happen so I don't personally know anyone or what is available there.

Cool, thanks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

MildManeredManikin posted:

You know I'm really surprised this thread isn't more active. You'd think that there would be a huge overlap between goons and techs at least.

I did tech for about 10 years and then moved into corporate/special event end of things. I would dearly love to go back to building scenery again but the lure of money is pretty strong. I also am realizing that I am being passed by as more and more automation stuff is being used in sets. This spring I worked for a few weeks in a college shop to help a friend out and I was blown away at how much fancy stuff the kids were being taught. I never learned computer drafting and I think that would be a real roadblock to getting back into shop work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

Load in from hell ended up opening great.

Multiple tracking units on winches required us to circ saw cable tracks into the floor...unfortunately, under the masonite was some significantly tracked up plywood that ended up taking out 2 saw blades and a flush trim bit for the router.

A week later, after we had finished the set we started having problem with the stage left track. It became a game of tweak the tracks in the morning, run to the shop to try and build our next show, then get a terrified call from the SM who was in tech, run back to the theatre to tweak again.

Long story short, load ins are a bitch even if they're supposed to be easy. Anyone else have fun load in stories to share?

This is about how it always is, until you work somewhere with a ton of money, then you only need to fix them every other day.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hah, doing a refocus during a show is amazing.

With that small amount of lights your best bet is to just light the stage with a wash and play with intensity and areas. Maybe safe that S4 looking thing for a special, but if it really is a 50 then you are going to be kinda limited in what it can do.

If you have spare dimmers then call every theatre in the area and try to borrow a few source 4s or anything similar.

I used to do a ton of no money theatre and generally I found that by staying simple you can avoid looking cheap and let the play take focus. I was always a huge fan of black boxs and acting cubes rather then trying to build a actual set with $300 or what ever. When you have limited money costumes and decent sound are the most cost effective places to put it towards.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 23, 2012

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

Take some process shots and start building a carp portfolio!

People do that?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

It's not usually required for carp jobs, but it's one of those extra miles that makes employers happy if it's done right. Though more and more jobs are requiring visual aids of some kind with a resume. TDs have their draftings, SMs have their prompt books, etc.

Madness. I don't think I ever got a theatre related job through anything other then a personal recommendation or a "gently caress it, we just need warm bodies" type deal.

A theatre I used to TD for did a Kickstarter to help fund a staged version of "Neverwhere" they are doing and I gave them a hundred bucks. And then realized that only by abandoning art and doing event poo poo was I able to afford it. I think I am going to give them more and see if I can help in the build or something. I really do kinda miss it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't know poo poo about dance but dance lighting is my favorite thing. No one else lets you use saturated colors and darkness.

I almost think I enjoy dance more not knowing much about it, I can walk into a show with no expectations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Director bailed due to a death in the family. Producer has heart surgery for a pace maker right before we open. The set foremen didn't tell us he hosed off until we checked on the sets and found none of them built or painted. The props master had to replace the actor we couldn't find. Oh and another actor was hospitalized and needs to be replaced.

I'd find this hilarious if it wasn't for the fact that I'm the stage manager so instead I'm finding it all falling at my feet and I'm expected to pick up the pieces and try to get this show up and running.

We open in less than 10 days.

:shepicide:

Write in a children's choir in the first act to get grandparents in the seats then add a nude scene in the second act to bring the perv crowd in. At least then you will make some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

You should take pictures. I'm always looking for new ideas. One of my favorite things about my boss is that as long as it works and isn't/doesn't look dangerous, it's fine (The looks part only holds true for AEA). I've known a few too many scenic carps worried about the "proper" way of doing things, and I've only been in the business for a couple of years.

Does anybody work with IATSE local 22 out of DC? I've read the website, and it's one of the best I've seen for IATSE, but I want some more information from people who've done it. How easy is it to get work through their overhire list? How much of the job is theatre versus more commercial production?

I worked as a non union hand in DC for like 13-15 years and know a decent bit about 22. I am on my phone now but shoot me a PM or email and I can dump some info on you.

• Locked thread