Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daddy Two-Coats
Jul 11, 2006

I AM HULKING UP
Ooh, I like the idea of a theatre thread. I'm part of an Atlanta Theatre company, mostly doing improv but I did just do a run of Jez Butterworth's Mojo this year. So yeah, if anyone wants to talk 'prov in this thing that'd be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddy Two-Coats
Jul 11, 2006

I AM HULKING UP

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'll get that question out of the way then: how the christ do you learn improv? Because it certainly isn't that Spolin book.

Well, I've never read Spolin's book... but I'd tell you if you DO want to use a book the one I've read most is Impro for Storytellers by Keith Johnstone. He's a lunatic and gives a lot of bad ideas in it but the theory is sound as far as improv fundamentals go.

However, the best way to learn is really to take some kind of classes with good, experienced improvisers who know their stuff and can help to teach you the finer points once you've mastered the fundamentals (which are pretty much just listening to your scene partner and the "yes and" principle along with learning not to try to be witty/funny all the time). Think of it like drawing or music: some people are really talented at it naturally, but with enough practice you can make anybody decent at it.

Daddy Two-Coats
Jul 11, 2006

I AM HULKING UP

MythObstacleIV posted:

I enjoy being a techie,

You guys are the best ever. Crew doesn't often get enough praise from actors... so keep bein' awesome, stagehands/SMs/wardrob people of the world.

• Locked thread