Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Okay, thread. You guys really helped me last time, got me to finally jump on Dubliners which was excellent, so I’m gonna try again. (Seriously, Dubliners reminded me how great a book can be, and it really helped reignite my passion for reading.) Here are 5 books in my TBR pile that I intend to read. What should I read first/which do YOU think is the best?

1. The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa
2. Madame Bovary, Flaubert (Bair translation)
3. Titus Groan, Mervyn Peake
4. City of Quartz, Mike Davis (only nonfic)
5. Roadside Picnic, Strugatskys

I’ll read the first suggestion.

Roadside picnic is great and poignant as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Selachian posted:

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Just keep in mind Bryson is a lovely hack, and probably most of the stuff in all his books is just made-up poo poo he Altavista'd in 1998 and then forgot the details.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just finished the Annihilation trilogy and I’m looking for something similar to that. I guess I’m looking for “anomalous zone” sci-fi, similar to Roadside Picnic or the STALKER series of games.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Combatace posted:

I just finished the Annihilation trilogy and I’m looking for something similar to that. I guess I’m looking for “anomalous zone” sci-fi, similar to Roadside Picnic or the STALKER series of games.

American Elsewhere is a really great spin on this sub genre.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Building on that, if I loved the Southern Reach trilogy but think the premise of Borne sounds incredibly dumb, might I still enjoy Borne? I really wanna read more of his stuff, but none of it sounds particularly interesting to me.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Slugworth posted:

Building on that, if I loved the Southern Reach trilogy but think the premise of Borne sounds incredibly dumb, might I still enjoy Borne? I really wanna read more of his stuff, but none of it sounds particularly interesting to me.

i enjoyed it, though admittedly the setting is more campy than it is mysterious in comparison to the southern reach trilogy. regardless, the central relationship is well realized emotionally and the way he humanizes a non-human character feels authentic and interesting.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

I loved Southern Reach and enjoyed Borne a lot! They’re not really similar though, beyond the latter’s environment being vaguely oppressive in a sort of similar way.

Got a much closer vibe to the Area X stuff in, say, The Stars Are Legion, Embassytown, or Ligotti short stories (The Town Manager is a great example).

The Jeff Vandermeer work that helped me find the most similar works was The Weird, and big recommend on that, it’s a huge anthology of the last 100ish years of “weird” short fiction.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Any recommendations for a ‘fun’ math book?

My 14 yo daughter is very interested in math and I’m trying to find her something that’s more interesting than a textbook, but maybe still on the technical side. She’s more math-minded (and probably more talented) than me and I have a PhD in biology.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

newts posted:

My 14 yo daughter is very interested in math and I’m trying to find her something that’s more interesting than a textbook, but maybe still on the technical side. She’s more math-minded (and probably more talented) than me and I have a PhD in biology.

Flatland by Edward Abbott?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Really Big Numbers and Gallery of the Infinite are awesome.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'd just get one of those big number puzzle books

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

newts posted:

The Number Devil by Hans Magnus Enzensberger

The Code Book by Simon Singh (he also wrote Fermat's Last Theorem)

Logicomix

Alex Bellos's maths books are fun:
http://www.alexbellos.com/maths

Martin Gardner's books (at her age I really enjoyed the Annotated Alice which has a lot about the mathematics and logic of Alice In Wonderland)

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 11, 2024

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you, all! I will pick a couple and report back.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Larry Gonick's Cartoon Guide to Algebra, Cartoon Guide to Geometry, and Cartoon Guide to Calculus.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

Larry Gonick's Cartoon Guide to Algebra, Cartoon Guide to Geometry, and Cartoon Guide to Calculus.

oh yeah these!

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

newts posted:

Throw her into the deep end with Godel Escher Bach. I’m half joking but also I think if I’d read that book when I was in school I would have been way more into math.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Action Jacktion posted:

I didn't know he wrote those and now I have to buy them dammit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gonick's editor was Jackie Kennedy. Just a factoid.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

newts posted:

These lists might be helpful:
https://kasmana.people.cofc.edu/MATHFICT/readinglists.php
https://kasmana.people.cofc.edu/MATHFICT/search.php?go=yes&genre=ya&orderby=title
https://kasmana.people.cofc.edu/MATHFICT/search.php?go=yes&genre=chi&orderby=title

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 12, 2024

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics is a favorite of mine.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you again! These all look interesting.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

UnbearablyBlight posted:

Throw her into the deep end with Godel Escher Bach. I’m half joking but also I think if I’d read that book when I was in school I would have been way more into math.

I'd heartily second that recommendation. I've read it at least a half dozen times, when I was younger I mostly read the story sections and as I got older read more of the actual stuff they were about. I also remember that I liked The Number Devil as a youth as was recommended above.

I've recently gotten back into reading a lot more now I've unearthed my eReader. Most of what I read tends to be sci-fi, and lately I'm really craving sci-fi that specifically has novel treatments of genders, sexualities and relationship structures. I've got several excellent anthologies on those themes, I loved Left Hand of Darkness and I was recently started back on my bullshit with reading the middle section of The Gods Themselves. Any recommendations that might have flown under the radar?

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 15, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

woke kaczynski posted:

I've recently gotten back into reading a lot more now I've unearthed my eReader. Most of what I read tends to be sci-fi, and lately I'm really craving sci-fi that specifically has novel treatments of genders, sexualities and relationship structures. I've got several excellent anthologies on those themes, I loved Left Hand of Darkness and I was recently started back on my bullshit with reading the middle section of The Gods Themselves. Any recommendations that might have flown under the radar?

Jack Chalker's Well World and Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld serieses (?) both deal with gender identity issues to a degree, in that people can get reincarnated into different genders than they were first born into. I haven't read them for 3+ decades and while my recollection is that they looked at such issues with more progressiveness then might be expected from their 60s / 70s publishing dates, I can't reliably vouch for their overall quality or sensibility.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

woke kaczynski posted:

I'd heartily second that recommendation. I've read it at least a half dozen times, when I was younger I mostly read the story sections and as I got older read more of the actual stuff they were about. I also remember that I liked The Number Devil as a youth as was recommended above.

Can't go wrong with Triptree or the award that used to be named after her:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherwise_Award

Delany's Trouble on Triton and Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand

Lisa Tuttle's Memories of the Body

Paul Park's Celestis/Coelestis

Izumi Suzuki's Terminal Boredom

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 16, 2024

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

woke kaczynski posted:

I've just finished re-reading Excession by Ian Banks, it has some novel gender roles and identities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I want to read another Asian-American memoir, after reading part of Crying in H Mart (Nothing against the book, just my flighty interests). Or it could be a personal history about people living in the US after WWII written by a third party.

I've marked down:

Docile: Memoirs of a Not-So-Perfect Asian Girl
Starry Field: A Memoir of Lost History
Everything I Learned, I Learned in a Chinese Restaurant
Last Boat Out of Shanghai: The Epic Story of the Chinese Who Fled Mao's Revolution
Face of the Enemy: An American Asian's War in Vietnam and at Home
Biting the Hand: Growing Up Asian in Black and White America
Mott Street: A Chinese American Family's Story of Exclusion and Homecoming