Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychosomatic Tumor
Jul 20, 2006

I'm working my way through The Origins Of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt (about the factors leading up to the rise of Nazi Germany/Soviet Russia) and it's a fascinating read. I was wondering if there were similarly well-sourced (socio)political history books out there, as most of the stuff I've seen out there seems to be sensationalist crap. 20th century history in general seems to have caught my interest recently, although it's not like I restrict myself solely to that.

Psychosomatic Tumor fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychosomatic Tumor
Jul 20, 2006

paolucciasiasi posted:

Could someone recommend some non-fiction prison novels? Preferably biographies of inmates or anything that just goes over day to day life in prison.

Erving Goffman's Asylums (which I recently finished) has a lot about the kind of organization that an inmate's life is subject to, and the ways in which they adapt to this kind of life. It's not exclusively about prisons; it's got stuff about prisons although it's primarily about closed wards in psychiatric hospitals. Then again, reading about it makes it seem like there's not THAT much difference between the two. Just give it a look and see if it's the kind of thing you'd be interested in. v:shobon:v

Psychosomatic Tumor fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 12, 2009