Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplePirate
Nov 4, 2006
He's dead. You killed him when you left the door open with the air conditioner on.
I'm looking for pop science books, preferably in the fields of medicine and biology in general. I've read a lot of Sagan, Dawkins, and the like, and several books I've loved have already been mentioned - A Short History of Nearly Everything, Stiff, and Mind Wide Open. I really loved both of Atul Gawande's books as well; sometimes it seems it can be difficult to find books by physicians that aren't a thinly veiled account of how great the author thinks he is. It would be nice to find authors dealing with the same sort of subject matter who write in a similar style, entertaining and informative without being condescending.

Even more specifically I'd love books about the history of science and disease. Two of my favorite books are The Coming Plague and Plagues and Peoples, so anything along those lines would be very much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplePirate
Nov 4, 2006
He's dead. You killed him when you left the door open with the air conditioner on.
Thanks Morlock, A Nation of Laws, and Fritz!

FortCastle posted:

I know this is pretty broad but it's a cool topic to me as a whole so any recommendations on Pirate books, and no I'm not 12 and I'm not looking for children books, fiction or non-fiction.

You've probably heard of this one already but the only book on pirates I've read is Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly. I thought it was pretty interesting, but it was a bit dry at times and I wished it had gone into more detail about certain subjects. I haven't read it yet but I have a friend who loves The Real Story of the Pirate by Hyatt Verrill so that one should be worth a look too.