Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

"We in comparison to that enormous articulation; we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half finished sentences out of a stupid suburban novel."

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Horror authors that aren't Poe, Lovecraft or King? I crave horror stories lately and I have almost no idea what's out there.

Dude...Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

"We in comparison to that enormous articulation; we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half finished sentences out of a stupid suburban novel."

LooseChanj posted:

America sucks because you're...
I've already got:
Black=Native Son, Richard Wright
A poor immigrant=The Jungle, Upton Sinclair (I think, feel free to correct me)

Looking more in the way of fiction.

Poor and White= The Redneck Manifesto by Jim Goad http://www.amazon.com/Redneck-Manifesto-Hillbillies-Americas-Scapegoats/dp/0684838648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245147192&sr=1-1
Poor and White (fiction) =Knockem Stiff by Donald Ray Pollock http://www.amazon.com/Knockemstiff-Donald-Ray-Pollock/dp/076792830X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245147223&sr=1-1
Black (fiction)= Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Man-Ralph-Ellison/dp/0679732764/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245147259&sr=1-1

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

reflir posted:

Think 'Do androids dream of electric sheep', but also some of the Animatrix shorts, the second renaissance and matriculated in particular, and Ghost in the Shell.

This also mixed with a little William Gibsonesque writing style would make me die a happy man.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

I would like a book that reads like the Red House Painters sound.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good collection of fairy tales?

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

reflir posted:

The collected works of the brothers Grimm, obviously. If you're interested in more modern fairy-tale-like short stories, check out Neil Gaiman's Smoker & Mirrors or Fragile Things, and Haruki Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes.

Much obliged, will definitely check out that Murakami collection.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

Got a seven hour car ride comin' up and I was hoping someone might provide a great Audiobook recommendation. I reckon the Audiobook can also be up to fourteen hours long given I've a return ride soon after. Fiction is probably the genre I am looking at, though if it's a great reading of a sci-fi/fantasy novel or a brilliant non-fiction reading, those may suffice. Historical fiction like James Clavell would be cool because I can see that being entertaining, but hell, I'll take Patrick Stewart reads Confessions of a Shopaholic if that's good too.

I have never listened to an Audiobook if that helps.

Max Brooks World War Z is probably the best audiobook I've ever listened to (cast includes Mark Hamil, Henry Rollins, and Alan Alda to name a few), highly recommend it. Also Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicle is amazing as well.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

epoch. posted:

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Murakami gets thrown around a lot as a recommendation. Personally, I loving hated it, but I'll sell you my copy for a dollar or something. It's sitting in a stack of books to get tossed at the moment.

If eight is legend doesn't want it I would totally buy it from you for a dollar.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good place to start with Ray Bradbury?

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

Ayato posted:

Could someone recommend good reality twisting type stuff? Could be scifi or mental illness stories, whatever. I love Murakami and Philip K Dick.

Jorge Borges and J.G. Ballard are authors you should really look into (if you haven't already) if you enjoy PK Dick. Also amazon just put Ballard's complete short stories on sale for about 20 bucks if your interested (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Stories-J-G-Ballard/dp/0393072622/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258148728&sr=1-1)

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Looking for two different types of books
2. Fiction or Non/fiction books about the Devil

You've probably read or were going to read the Screwtape Letters but even if you have you should definitely check out the audio book version as it is read by John Cleese and is absolutely worth your time even if you've read the book.

Also seconding Ballsworthy's rec on the Twain essays.

e: how appropriate that this is the 666th reply and we're talking about the devil!:twisted:

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Also, if I hated Catcher in the Rye, will I hate Franny and Zooey?

I would say probably depending of course on why you hated Catcher in the Rye. Franny and Zooey is still a story about overly sensitive, "misunderstood", and troubled young people, this time ivy league college undergraduates rather than rich prep school kids. I liked Franny and Zoey better, particularly the Franny portion of the book because I think I could identify with the way she felt( i.e., having a crisis of faith, dealing with pretentious and fake classmates) better than I could with any of the characters in Catcher in the Rye.

colonelsandy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 30, 2009

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

roffles posted:

My history is rusty/inadequate so the following topics might be a little vague and all over the place so apologies in advance.

2. US/Middle East relations

I guess basically I want a better idea of how some of our more disastrous current relations with a lot of countries came to be, and also how internally our country became so polarized. I really don't have any idea how to start looking for sources that are somewhat objective and hopefully provide an engaging read.

Not sure if you are looking for anything really detailed or more of an introduction to US and Arab relations but a very good starting point/introduction is John Esposito's Unholy War: Terror In the Name of Islam . I was kind of turned off by the title when I first looked into it but it turned out to be a fascinating and great introduction to Islam as well as modern cultural and political developments of Islam in the Arab nations. Can't recommend it enough for anyone looking to get a better understanding of Islamic struggles with the west.

Another good starting point is Bernard Lewis's What Went Wrong?: The Clash Between Islam and Modernity in the Middle East. This book was mainly an scholarly study written after the WTC attacks but is very insightful as to why America's (and the West in general) have infuriated and confused the Arab world for decades. Again a great introduction into Western policies with the Middle East.

Hope that is along the lines of what you were looking for.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Are you talking about Marxism/Crit Theory in general, or specifically regarding a survey of American history?

Please go back to that cavernous pit of scoff formerly known as Phiz.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

Frankenfatz posted:

Looking for some rec's for my lady friend, who's a massive fan of Kundera, specifically The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Be it one of his other works or someone else who's style is comparable, your contributions might just brighten an Asian girls birthday, and get me laid to boot!

The Stranger by Albert Camus
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
The Sleepwalkers by Hermann Broch
The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another but someone recommended a book containing anonymous suicide letters and I wanted to read it but I can't remember the name and an Amazon search didn't bring anything up but a book with celebrity suicide letters which I really don't give a poo poo about, anyone remember/know the name of that book?

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

Patrovsky posted:

Is this it?

I bought this book by accident :downs:. Still haven't read it.

Yes it is! I couldn't for the life of me remember what the title was and I knew it didn't have the word suicide in it. Thank you kindly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

Can anyone recommend some fiction with doleful or melancholy characters? Preferably something written in the past 50 years or so. I'm a little down and looking to wallow in my own misery at the moment, any suggestions would be appreciated.