Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I need a audiobook that shows the high weirdness of the temprence movement in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Joe McCarthy is a giant rear end, whats the best book on his bullshit witchhunting?
Yes I know Walt Disney turned in friends.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I need a good book on Stalin

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Simon Sebag Montefiore is your man.

Young Stalin.
Staline: Court of the Red Tsar.

Read in any order, appreciate a well-written, well-research biography of a monster.

And if you don't mind going back in time a bit, and adding some Hitler to your Stalin: Hitler & Stalin: Parallel Lives by Alan Bullock.

All three books are really good and informative for your average layman (me), I'd think, although Bullock's harder to read.

Excellent Now Mussolini?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I have a family member that is addicted to anything based on Aliens are/were here stuff. Any actually good?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Oh these are great sci-fi reccomendations.
He's looking more for Aliens are real crap

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Im going to Boston. Whats a mindblowing book on boston non fiction?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Selachian posted:

The Mr. Boston Bartender Guide, for some values of "mindblowing."

Or how about something on the Boston Strangler?

He gets it. Its a town of old history and seedy dealings. Salem wasn't too far away

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Is Blackwater by McDowell super good?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I am Digging the poo poo outta Blackwater

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Astoria was a slick history of a early attempt to make a settlement/trade empire, state and or country in 1810
It's pants making GBS threads terrifying what people put up with and how much civility and kindness can change history.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

All the different Bible's out there are pretty hosed up but let's hear it out!
Lovekraft was a racist, he was a great writer despite his racisim. I really wish he wasn't a racist.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Being overly verbose doesn't mean "great", it means he had access to a thesaurus and not an editor. Lovecraft's popular because he was an eccentric weirdo who wrote "I saw something so strange it made me crazy" about a hundred times. The popularity is in the content, not the writing. He's a bad writer, decent story-teller.

Yeah his impact was so small

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

So he can only be great if his writing is better not the content or his impact

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'd agree to that but he became wildly successful while staying a weirdo so he's like a totem to nerds but he's due some respect

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Biographies only

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I have been loving Booker T Washington's autobiography, Up From Slavery.
It's my first look at emancipation from a first hand from a stalwart optimist.

I have a friend that needs a gripping aliens abduction book to spook em good. The more plausable the better.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The Elementals
Was a spooky ride

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ron Chernow's Grant is a good biography but the hyperbole of the 1800s is strong.
"He was the greatest reader I ever saw"- his wife

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Just finished Lovecraft Country
It's a solid romp of a family fighting racisim, cults
It's great but soured a bit since reading Blackwater recently

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Burke posted:

Any good ~20-30 hour audiobook recommendations? I'm driving halfway across the country this weekend and need something to keep me off the median. Last time I did a big drive like this I re-read/listened to the Baroque cycle which is great and I might do it again but I may want to go with something new instead.

I'm almost done with the second Malazan book so I could continue those. I've liked them so far but haven't really loved them. I've read the first third of the black company series so I could continue those too but I started losing interest. I'm not ready for another read of Infinite Jest, especially with the audiobook nonsense with the endnotes. It's too soon for more Cormac McCarthy or Neal Stephenson. I've recently reread Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell so that's out too. I like Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora a lot but sadly Red Mars didn't do it for me for some reason, I could give it another try but I'm skeptical. I have yet to finish Mieville's Iron Council even though I loved the other two. Embassytown was pretty boss too. Maybe The City & the City?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I've been lurking this thread for many years and it's been wildly helpful at pointing me towards stuff I actually like (Blindsight was great) so thanks for that!

Blackwater trilogy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

McDowell's Blackwater
Its wonderful

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Clearly they mean to be reading the epic southern gothic sextet by famed Doobie Brother Michael McDonald, duh

Any books read aloud by Joe Don Baker?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

All my friends got me to read "The Name of the Wind" and I'm not having a good time

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I feel like people in the book can only talk in similes

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

well an old man would say "Never remember a book for its cover but for the weight of its pages!"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

buglord posted:

Speaking of horror, are there any legitimately horrifying books out there? Like the type that have you keep all the lights on when you're home alone? I've been chasing a horror high that I haven't gotten since the videogame Stalker Call of Pripyat.

I could read roadside picnic but apparently it's not really scary, nor does it try to be.

The Elementals, and Blackwater trillogy, Im about the read the Amulet unless someone stops my McDowell chain

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Bradburys the Veldt always freaked me out, I like to think of them grown up

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Boo!

I was surprised how neat and subversive A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court was

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Those movies are nothing like the book beyond future man hangs with king Arthur.
Merlin's got an iPod and he's digging rap music! Disneyfied kid crap

The man from the book loathes medieval culture, poverty, class struggles, ignorance, and bullshit superstition fed con artists. However he doesn't hate nor blame the people produced by it.

If this book were a movie it would be rated R I won't say why

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I feel bad for never reading Tom sawyer and Huckleberry Finn...until now and its the perfect season for it.
Becky and Tom in school slays me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

What's a solid book that does a good job not fawning over Ronald Regan and goes into how I know hes a giant garbage bag

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Guess I'll toss in here, Mussolini by Jasper Ridley
I avoided most WW2 books due to the constant bombardment popular media gave me.
Wasn't untill recently I realized I knew little about it beyond Normandy, Nazis, Pear Harbor and The Bombs.
This covered the rise of what seemed a world media darling and quite talented little monster of a man. I never knew how goulish his dealings we're with Hitler we're and how willingly he adapted to racism, antisemitism, and when it came time for his own citizens being killed by his ally for reprisals of deaths caused by a rebel force.
In the end I feel that Mussolini would have had a terrifyingly longer reign if Nazis didn't exist. His flavor of oppression was looked upon much too fondly by the world powers.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Stepdad loves conspiracy theories about ancient aliens I need something that will scare the living s*** out of him

No not Nausicaa

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Ask in the cspam ufo thread you will get buried in recommendations

Deal!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Man this is depressing me, most of the books you guys recommend are not at my local library but we have plenty of Glen Beck, f*** Florida

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, most major city/county libraries have a requirement of 'state residency'for a card. Those cards give you access to digital checkouts.

Yeah I'm using Hoopla, and holy poo poo, well then gently caress this right wing library branch with "popular poo poo" like "the REAL Dr. Fauchi"

This is great news I just gotta figure out if orange county allows for online sign up

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 6, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

There a fun book on the Qanon bullshit yet?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival
It's terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'd second Mark Twain but I'm not sure how mature an 8 year old is to tackle it on themselves.
Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is pretty dang fun but also alien without understanding how it's made to poo poo on Camelot's mythos