Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I bounce around between scifi or horror books and popular history stuff, but I am running out of the latter.

Things I enjoyed recently;
Mao's Great Famine
Carthage Must Be Destroyed
King Leopold's Ghost
The Black Count
A World Undone
Shattered Sword
Dead Mountain
Batavia's Graveyard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Gonna flip this back around on you; would you recommend this? Came across it forever ago, but never got off my rear end about it. Is it readable by a layman?

Absolutely, it is well-written and explains the policies and their detrimental effects in a clear way.
It is the first and only book I've ever read on the subject, but I had no difficulty following any of it.

Note that it looks at some of the horrors of this period at a very personal level as well, there are stories from people about what happened to their village and family during this period.
These are incredibly depressing, especially considering the scale of it all, so it can be very unpleasant to read at times.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Zkoto posted:

I have a bit of weird one, sorry if its been talked about, but I recently finished reading Game Wizards: The Epic Battle for Dungeons & Dragons and found I really enjoy reading about the rise and fall of a business or corporation and all the weirdness that goes on. Helps that I'm a big D&D nerd as well.

I quite enjoyed Console Wars, about the rise and fall of Sega.
Lots of information about the marketing, weird politics between Sega Japan and Sega US, very good insights into the video game market at the time, etc.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

FPyat posted:

I'm curious to read anything on the art of translation, with considerate thoughts about the differences between languages. My translator relative recommended I look at her copy of the Translation Studies Reader.

Through the Language Glass by Guy Deutscher is a fun read, it raises a variety of topics and might help you find which ones interest you.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

foutre posted:

Could anyone recommend good books about the design of cities, and how they develop? Been reading Great Streets and The Design of Cities, but basically looking for things that'll help me look at cities differently when I'm wandering about. In particular, going to be going to some v old European cities soon and want to have a bit more of a vocabulary/ framework for thinking about them!

E: diagrams/maps/illustrations a bonus for sure!

Tokyo Totem is a collection of essays and the ones on urban planning are really good.
Very interesting stuff on how hills influence building types, how the walls dividing sections became main roads, how buildings on the corner of roads connecting need to be slanted based on the width of the narrowest street, etc. It really helps you see the underlying structure of the city.
Aside from Tokyo obviously not being Europe, be warned that it collects essays on completely unrelated topics as well. The metalworking stuff and deep-dives into konbinis and onsen were fun, but I really couldn't get into the ones featuring identity and developing communal living.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

RCarr posted:

Looking for recommendations for anything similar to Joe Abercrombie’s First Law books.

The Lies of Locke Lamora.
No large battles, but a group of thieves get in over their heads and having to survive assassins, the law and other gangs means plenty of knifework.
It has kind of a fantasy Ocean's Eleven vibe, with a focus on planning heists, taking place in fantasy Venice. Just humans, very little magic, but plenty of small fantasy elements.
The sequels are enjoyable as well, though not as good as the first book.

Alternatively; The Traitor Son Cycle.
Mercenary company, hired to defend a fortress during a siege.
Sieges, large scale battles, but more fantasy stuff than First Law. More magic, more races, paladins, people ascending to sainthood, etc.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 12, 2023

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Upsidads posted:

So any good books on Japan ... at the immediate era after ww2

Embracing Defeat is what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

DarkLich posted:

Seeking recommendations for a friend-group book club - the genre this month is HARD SCI FI

Previous sci fi books we've read:
- The Diamond Age (unanimously loved)
- Dune (unanimously liked)
- Annihilation (divisively liked)
- Dark Matter (unanimously disliked)

My suggestion so far is Children of Time by Tchaikovsky. Any other bright ideas from recent decades? I'm trying to stay away from anything that requires a multi book investment. And naturally anything with magical talismans, space wizards, or "proto-molocules".

Blindsight is excellent.