Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Can anyone suggest a book (or even tell me the proper term) for whatever the opposite of alternate-history fantasy/sci-fi is? I'm thinking that all the main historical points up to now are the same, but the details are different--Hannibal crossed the Alps on Dragons, or WWII with laser rifles, or the Apollo moon landing actually involved enlisting the aid of the god Apollo. Something that explores how the more things change, the more they stay the same, or that, at least politically, escalation would assure similar outcomes whether with atomic bombs or magical plagues. I read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and liked it quite a bit.

I am not looking for a book where the protagonist has the magical/alien nature of our history revealed to him (all the tech advances of modern times where from the Roswell crash all along!), I want it to be general knowledge, and not "what if the conspiracy theories were true".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Isurion posted:

Have you read the Temeraire series? It's the Napoleonic wars with dragons.

juliuspringle posted:

I don't know if this is exactly what you mean but I love Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove. I'm thinking about getting his series where the WW2 superpowers put aside their differences and join forces to fight spacelizards or something like that/

I guess I did want alternate history after all. Stupid me. I guess it's like "reverse-racism" still just being racism. I didn't know if it was supposed to be "parallel history" or something.

I'll check these out.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

freebooter posted:

Took the words out of my mouth, except I was going to add "but it sucks."

Can anyone recommend me some fantasy where people cross from our world into the fantasy world? Obvious choices are the Narnia and His Dark Materials series, and I've also read Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame and have Stephen King's Dark Tower series on my TBR pile. Anything else?

The aforementioned The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever. He's a narcissistic, self-pitying leper. He rapes a girl in the first book. And he's the hero.

Her Majesty's Wizard is fun, if completely stupid. Has some good poetry in it though. Good light read, should be able to devour it in a few hours. Poems are magical spells in the alternate world, and the better the poem, the more powerful the spell (no Ogden Nash that I can recall, sadly). The hero is an English major, so it's quite masturbatory. Maxwell's Demon is a supporting character, which is cool.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

delicious beef posted:

1. Can anybody recommend me well-written post-apocalyptic themed stuff. I'm talking about stuff similar to The Road or I am Legend. Not so much interested in Sci-fi explanations of whatever the event is, but about people surviving in the aftermath. I really loved The Road, so something like that would be wonderful.
S. M. Stirling's The Emberverse Series seems to fit the bill. I haven't read it, but the first book of its sister trilogy Island in the Sea of Time was enjoyable. His sense of history (and the clashes between modern and ancient peoples and technologies) in the latter is solid, although his characterization is clumsily heavy-handed (strong black lesbian ship captain who's a master of the katana?!?). Haven't gotten any farther than the first book though.